• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build ever, brand new to PC from console. Input appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say if your temps are in order with the current cooler, don't switch. When you get that overclocking bug, then grab a cooler. :)

Yeah i had originally decided on the 212 evo then i realized the case i had chosen was an atx mini so i decided to put the money into a case first and foremost. Overclocking will definitely be in the future, but i think I'll do some more learning and being comfortable with what I've got for now. Remember, im coming from 30fps console lol

Im so glad i went to a frys and looked and felt the cases. If i didnt i wouldnt of been happy with my online purchase. If you can try that.

Unfortunately in a town of 20,000 people in northern canada the largest shopping center is a walmart (not like the large supercenters down south either, more like one that hasnt been redesigned or added to since it was first built in like the early nineties). Pretty much everything i need to buy comes from extensive research and reviews...

Well i have the Thermaltake commander g42. It has a window and supports large coolers with plenty of room. Its a quality case to, doesnt feel cheap.

Alright so all the pieces came in the mail two days ago and due to a particularly slow night-shift at work last night I was able to put it together.

Significantly easier than I thought it would be, ended up being about an hour to put it all together not including boot up (had to wait until I got back home). Luckily there were no problems with my lack of building skills and it started up and loaded the OS no problem. Just need to work on my cable management, I got a little sloppy near the end but for a first build and a non-modular PSU I think I did alright.

Just want to thank all you beautiful people who helped me out without giving me any guff and answering all my newbie questions with patience.

(PS, my monitor is on order so yes, I'm using my TV.)

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Alright so all the pieces came in the mail two days ago and due to a particularly slow night-shift at work last night I was able to put it together.

Significantly easier than I thought it would be, ended up being about an hour to put it all together not including boot up (had to wait until I got back home). Luckily there were no problems with my lack of building skills and it started up and loaded the OS no problem. Just need to work on my cable management, I got a little sloppy near the end but for a first build and a non-modular PSU I think I did alright.

Just want to thank all you beautiful people who helped me out without giving me any guff and answering all my newbie questions with patience.

(PS, my monitor is on order so yes, I'm using my TV.)

View attachment 161522
View attachment 161523
View attachment 161524
Congrats!

You put my cable management to shame lol.

Congrats!

You put my cable management to shame lol.

Haha thank you. My OCD from aircraft maintenance kicking in.. The HDD sata cable sticking out behind the drive bugs me so I'm going to choose a different connector as I should have to begin with and get it outta there.

Next upgrades will probably be a couple more sticks of 4gb ram to bring it up to 16, a SSD, and perhaps the 212 evo cooler and another fan or two just to round it off nicely. Then wire some RGB led strips to give it some personalization. Nothing major.

I purchased a controller with remote and 15' led strip for about $20 from hong kong on ebay. Much cheaper than the pre-built kits you can find. I'm comfortable with soldering and wire splicing so I'll be using those.

I use them on my pool table and they will change with music, or the remote. Obviously I wont be using the full 15 feet though lol table.jpg

Liking that pool table man. Very nice.

Yea, that cable management is awesome for a first timer. I don't even see anything that really sticks out as being obstructive in any way. Good job!

Liking that pool table man. Very nice.

Yea, that cable management is awesome for a first timer. I don't even see anything that really sticks out as being obstructive in any way. Good job!

Well I can't take all the credit; the case offered a solid 1/2" clearance from the back plate, which gave me lots to work with haha but thank you!

Okay so i figured after a couple months maybe I can update a little bit..
I ended up buying another hardrive to be able to record footage to, as well as 8 more gb of ram, a hyper 212 Evo cooler, and x4 AF120 blue corsair fans.
As you can see, two of the fans I used are in a push-pull on the evo, one is in my PSU, and the other replaced my stock exhaust fan.

Putting the fan into the PSU was a little more in depth. The PSU i have uses a proprietary connector that i had to snip and solder the power wires from my new fan into. Worked first try though! Starts a little dim but once the PSU warms up the LED is almost as bright as the others. The tinted window helps reduce the intensity of all those fan LEDs
image-17-06-15-09-03-2.jpeg image-17-06-15-09-03-1.jpeg image-17-06-15-09-03.jpeg IMG_1865.JPG I cant get this last picture to sit rightside up. oh well.

Back