• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build ever, brand new to PC from console. Input appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatWhiteNorth

Registered
First off, hey!
I've been contemplating trying PC gaming out for a while now, and after lots of reading and research I've decided to go for it.

Obviously I'm not looking to go into this too hardcore financially (for the moment at least) so I'm in the market for a simplistic build. Mainly this build will be used to play FPS, specifically BF4.

After my research I've come up with my own "starter pack" of what I think I should get in order to be able to run the game at what I would like; preferably 1080p and at or above 60fps. So far this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ is what I've picked out. Keep in mind I'm not looking to go big $$ into this yet, I'm only looking to spend ~$500 on cpu, mobo, ram, hdd, psu, and case. The video card i understand will be significantly more than most components in order to run at those specs, so I've kind of got an "open" budget for that atm.

For a monitor I think I'll be going with the BenQ RL2460HT.

My questions are:

-What are your opinions on what I've picked out so far?
-What would be a good case for less $$? (I just need it to work, aesthetics don't worry me too much)
-What is the most "bang for your buck" for a card to be able to run those specs?

Sorry, I don't really know if that's asking a lot, I'm just a little eager to get into this. Any feedback/help is appreciated, thanks!

You can't just copy the URL on PCPartPicker.
You have to get the share link on the left side.

Yeah I had stipulated in my original post that I wasn't sure which gpu I should go for to be able to run at those settings, and wasn't sure on a case either.
Os; I already have windows 7 ultimate 32bit. EDIT: I'll be purchasing a 64bit windows 7 because of my ram after some quick research.
So that EVGA 750TI would have the juice to run 1080p min 60fps on bf4?
Also, should I really take the western digital over seagate barracuda?

Last edited:
You may have to run high instead of very high, but realize that an open budget could get you a $500 GPU suggested.

My "weapon of choice" would be a 970 for running 1080p, but that seems like it'd be out of your price range. "Bang for your buck" is good on the 970, but it isn't cheap.

As for the case, check out NZXT. They have some very nice cases for $50 and under.

Yea I guess I should've been more specific. I was thinking anywhere up to $300 on the GPU. How about the R9 270x? Would that be a decent choice? Or is there one that performs better for up to $300?

Hmm lets call it ~850 for the tower. Goal being 1080p and 60fps or better in fps games specifically bf4. Leaning towards an AMD build for cost effectiveness as i have no plans for live streaming or recording or anything, just straight gaming for now.

My mistake, I forgot about the OS. We can consider that separate for my build as I have an IT friend who can get me a 64bit OS for cheaper than most retailers. So ~$850 (I'm willing to go just over) for the build not including OS.

Just wanna say thanks ATMINSIDE you've been a great help already.

EDIT: I've decided I'm going to wait for a bit in order to be able to up my budget and shell out for your recomendation - GeForce GTX 970. At least that way I'll know it can run most games at great frame rates and res.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xrkPLk

Last edited:
My mistake, I forgot about the OS. We can consider that separate for my build as I have an IT friend who can get me a 64bit OS for cheaper than most retailers. So ~$850 (I'm willing to go just over) for the build not including OS.

Just wanna say thanks ATMINSIDE you've been a great help already.

EDIT: I've decided I'm going to wait for a bit in order to be able to up my budget and shell out for your recomendation - GeForce GTX 970. At least that way I'll know it can run most games at great frame rates and res.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xrkPLk

If your going to wait and spend all the extra money for a high end gpu forget the nice heatsink and get the 8320; then add a heatsink down the road if you want to overclock.

Just a thought.

Really? I was under the impression most of the AMD's needed a nice heatsink as they ran hot. I'll definitely be getting the 8320 then. Should I upgrade the mobo too if I wanted to oc eventually or would it not really make a difference?

The cooling is about same issue for AMD and Intel, there is advantage and disadvantage on both sides, so its not a issue to put the mind to it.

Intel CPUs naturally perform better on games because most games scale bad above 4 threads, although some AMD CPUs can be a good value-buy still, FX 6300 too. Because of consoles (consoles are 6+2 cores) the future games may become better at 6 thread scaling but still not good at 8 thread use, so AMD CPUs in that term will always be a step behind. Although i think the AMD CPUs may get a small boost compared to 4 core Intel CPUs, but as soon as a 6 core Intel CPU is involved they will be left in the dust. In the next generation (Skylake) even some "cheaper" Intel gamer CPUs may become 6 core but currently AMD clearly may be able to offer some better deals taking "future proofing" into account.

So for now as a "value buy" you can do nothing wrong going for a FX 6300 i would say, it can offer some future proofing because of the 6 thread matter that will hit PC gaming for many newer titles.

One thing is pretty clear, the graphic card is critical for good graphic quality and smooth FPS, especially when playing shooters... dont be cheap, else you may regret... no, you will regret. For 1080P gaming the 970 is surely a outstanding deal so i guess you dont need much hints.

Last edited:
You need a heatsink for both. There is also a big difference between cooling an amd.octo core versus an I7 for Intel. it's over 50% more wattage to cool.

Watt...
The die and even effective IHS of AMD CPUs are a lot bigger and less density on the chip, so i guess in real term there wont be much difference except for the sink to become hotter... and that's how it should be for proper cooling, nothing to worry. Additionally most good coolers need a minimum temperature or amount of heat to become effective because of the movement mechanism, so there is nothing to worry and both sides got pros and cons.

In real terms, there is a big difference. Temperature threshold for AMD is also a lot lower (65C vs say 85C). There are little 'pros' to the amount of heat an AMD octo core CPU puts out, particularly when overclocking.

Alright well after reading all that, and specifically considering this obviously is just an entry into the pc world for me, im reverting to the AMD fx6300 for its cost, since i really cant justify 8 cores even for the price. Ive also read bf4 was optimized for AMD cards (?) so i figured why not save a bit of money. Either way im sure it will play better than my console. Eventually i'll upgrade to an intel mobo and cpu but amd is fine for my intentions at the moment i believe.
I'll be purchasing the rest of my build within the next few weeks, as i just spent some coin on a small bargain on the GV-N970G1 GTX 970 and picked it up for $419.99. Should be great for the 1080p i plan to run no matter what other components i get.

Back