• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't turn on, friend needs help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Funny people suddenly remember you when they need something from you =P

In any case I feel obligated to help him for some reason so he messaged me this, verbatim. Fairly vague, though.

"Aye what's up, soo I'm not exactly sure how to approach this but I figured you'd be one of the few people capable of assisting. I've just built a new pc, however it's having a few issues, fully asembled, mobo has power and is on but the PC itself will not turn on when the power button is pressed, it's an Asus ROG line mobo so it always glows slightly even when off. Anyway, if i don't manage to get this thing working tomorrow on my day off was wondering if you and I could possibly take a chance and look at it together, would be nice to have a 2nd opinion on wtf's happening. Hopefully though i'll fix it myself tomorrow. Night, thanks in advance"

I was thinking of asking:

What power supply are you using
(Hopefully not some Logisys or something but since he says it has power, probably not the PSU?)
Check the connections to everything.

Um.

I usually just randomly tinker untill my computers work, it's a little hard to tell someone else to do that though.

Any other ideas?

Pull the board to eliminate the case. Pull everything but one stick of ram and manually jump the board to start it (check manual for instructions.). Add parts until it does not work.

*edit Unplug the case wires and try jumping the board in the case first. That will tell you if the switch is bad.

Last edited:
Figured it out. Mobo 24 pin connector wasn't in all the way.

Friend felt dumb.

Lmao.

Back