• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASRock X99 OC Formula Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Several weeks ago, we looked at ASRock's X99 Fatality board and it turned out to be a pretty solid board all around with good overclocking, a quality audio CODEC, board layout, and features. Now we will take a look at their 'King of the Hill' overclocking board in the X99 OC Formula. The OC Formula series from ASRock is one of the more highly regarded boards, particularly for extreme overclocking in that they generally come with higher end and more robust power delivery to support such endeavors. "But wait there's more!" While the board might be aimed at that crowd, there are still plenty of features for the average Joe that makes this board appealing to most anyone. Take a read below as we go over the features and put the board through its paces.
Click here to view the article.

You will have to let us know what AsRock has to say about 1.7

I use an old beta as you know , seems to be on par

I can easily recommend this board to any one using sub ambient cooling

Thanks for taking the time Joe :)

They should have stuck to the bumble bee yellow instead of the Gold imho lol.

Also looks like they did away with the Watercooled heatsink's which isn't a big deal but stylistically the old one i think looks better.

I see they still have nick shi profiles which imho has always been one of the best features on my Z77 version, Perhaps not for end Clocks but for starting clocks, Esp with the Mem profiles.

Looks also like they brought the prices down a-lot from the Z87 Version (w/conformal coating i think it was near 500$).

They cut a lot of thing out to keep the price competitive.
However they did manage to make a very feature rich x99 board that even can accommodate most gamers IMO

Can't really speak to the color scheme ???
I have to say that has no bearing on the functionality of the board

It was $330 on release (Z87 OC F). :)

Yep the non conformal one was 330$ the conformed one was like another 150$ if i remember, i remember thinking it was a rip off also.
their was 2 options for the z87 .

The Z77 OCF only had 1 option and it didn't have conformal coating as a option.

And yes witchdoc if the board is in a non windowed case then who really cares.

but many who do builds with high end Quad sli type setups do indeed care about looks.

That said lots didnt like bumble bee yellow either and many have shared dislike of gold since biostar started rocking it lol.

Im 50/50 on it as my cases are rarely on display but i do like the look of the Z77/Z87 colors and heatsink's its just a nice break from black and red.

Conformaled was $330. There wasn't a non conformaled version IIRC.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7167/asrock-z87-oc-formulaac-review
The Z87 attempts to go a bit further, and at an extra cost over the Z77 model ($328 vs. $230) it has to provide in that price bracket something special. ASRock are known for implementing some off-the-wall ideas, and for Z87 we get:

Conformal Coating: Using a superhydrophobic coating on the motherboard, traces and IC joints are protected from moisture (although the slots where we connect other components are still susceptible).

There were two versions, the AC and the non AC version, however both were conformaled. The non AC version was $295. The AC part was the wireless stuff on it among a couple other things.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/55...ula-intel-z87-motherboard-review/index12.html
At just under $300, the ASRock Z87 OC FORMULA isn't a cheap option, but looking at it, we really feel that it's a fair price tag for what is being offered. Outside of the OLED Status Display, one of the other features that is awesome on the board is the Conformal Coating to waterproof the board. This is a feature that a lot of people will more than likely not have a huge use for. However, it's definitely something for the more extreme overclockers out there who make use of LN2.

Last edited:
Different DIMMS

I am pleased with this board and I want to add more RAM. I have 4 x 4G Corsair and just got 4 x 8G Corsair. Will mixing DIMMS of different sizes work to fill all slots?

It could work, but generally isn't recommended as you may see unintended issues when the sticks aren't all the same size, speed, and timings.

Back