• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far I should push this AMD A8 6600k Black edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durgesh

Registered
I overclocked my AMD A8 6600k black edition APU to 4.6 GHz with a appropriate method. I have
AMD A8 6600k black edition APU
Gigabyte GA-G1 sniper A88x gaming motherboard
Seasonic M12II 620W EVO PSU
CM hyper Tx3 EVO cpu cooler
Now I am having 15 thermal margin. When I started the test it gone to 10 but now it is stable at 15. With 1.35 volts max. Should I push it little further to 4.7 and 4.8. Any help will really appreciated. Thanks to all of you guys.
Durgesh

Tha is a pretty minimal cooler TBH. That's why you're getting those temps at that voltage. Which brings me to my next point, as you increase speed voltage is going to go up as well. I don't hve personal experience with that chip but I have been playing with a 7850K and the voltage requirements really start to climb after 4.5G
You can try it and test it if you reach your margin then you'll just have to back down again. If not then you're good to go. Don't know what you are using for a test but if it's P95 or a similar stress test then everyday useage won't typically create the same load. What that means is if you are close to the margin during stress testing in everyday use you would likely never see those temperatures.

My A8 6600K required almost the same voltage for 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7GHz which was ~1.37-1.40V. These APU have 1.325V or something near at stock. Problems were starting above 4.7GHz as I had to set higher voltage and it was losing stability on a pretty average water cooling ( 2x120mm fan ). On the other hand difference in performance between 4.6 and 4.8GHz is barely visible, especially in daily work.

Back