• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just wondering...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

Ive been looking for another psu to get a 3rd computer up and running (m5a78/fx4100/4GBram/5770) purely to keep my vid card 100% folding, i found a local seller selling http://http://ca.startech.com/Computer-Parts/PSUs/Dell/400-Watt-ATX12V-201-Dell-PC-Replacement-Power-Supply~ATXPW400DELL for $35. My question is, will this dinky little power supply get me up and running? Watts for the wall on this rig will be minimal at best i figure, normally i just google reviews but i find none for this ps :shrug: Any comments are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dell PSUs like that are not typically good... so that opens you up to some risk there...

It also only has 348W on the 12v rail. If you are GPU folding only, I would try it. If you are folding both GPU and CPU. I wouldn't trust that PSU.

Id rather have the Dell than that (no idea who makes it is the problem... I wouldn't buy a new PSU for $25)...

Get a GOOD but CHEAP PSU.. see the link in my signature. ;)

I'll go through it when I get to my desktop, thanks!
I just have to hope Oklahoma Wolf sells a psu in my price range :D we live in same province! Must be good for a discount rofl

if E_D saw the psu I'm running my 770's on he would have a triple throw down hissy, it's a 450 watt, or so it claims and both cards on adapters so it's sure to blow!!!!
please buy a "GOOD" psu that has the pcie connectors you need and avoid adapters at all cost. a bottom of the line coolermaster or corsair are better than one they won't put a name on.

By any means necessary :thup: :D I will definitely take some time and peruse many places before I pull the trigger even though my brain is telling me to run out and spend a bunch of money! :D

the way i pick a psu is to make a rough guess at my total wattage, then double that, from what i can see from reading some psu reviews psu's seem to the at their best at around 50% output.

I wouldn't have a hissy fit over that caddi (though I'm surprised it works). I would have a hissy fit over your method of doub ling guessed output and buying that way. While certainly a safe way to do it, it's not a cost effective way.

Last edited:
Dell PSUs are actually pretty good quality (some exceptionally good quality), but what you linked most likely isn't a Dell PSU but rather a generic replacement for one.

I just have to hope Oklahoma Wolf sells a psu in my price range

If your price range is $25-$35 Canadian I don't think I can help you... there won't be anything good around that price :(

It's closer to 50-100, that's all I could find that was used/cheap at the time I was looking, I have to get over my fear of buying online (I prefer to be able to hold something in my hands :shrug:) and the garbage that's sold in my city is not good :/ I've been looking on pcpartpicker for sales in the states, I've got a family member just over the border so I can utilize the better prices our friends to the south enjoy. I'll find something :thup: maybe a great review model from Mr. Wolf, or something I find other places.

Back