• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP's AMD build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait, What??? Under the ram?

Yeah why not? Pushing sticks of ram and the 24pin in causes the board to flex, why wouldn't he spend 3 seconds and make another strip of wood and put it underneath the pcb to prevent that? Not implying he's gonna break anything, just makes it easier when the board isn't "fighting back".

Seriously, no effort involved in this...

QkGT11r.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, whew. We were talking the GPU supports for the weight and you mentioned a Ram support. I was in-visioning some crazy contraption to support the weight of the ram, hence the skewed face. LOL

We're all good. Nothing to see here. Move along. :chair:

LOL, whew. We were talking the GPU supports for the weight and you mentioned a Ram support. I was in-visioning some crazy contraption to support the weight of the ram, hence the skewed face. LOL

We're all good. Nothing to see here. Move along. :chair:

Dont normally use this face... but i feel it applies haha.
:facepalm:

Man... ram support... I see why you were all "wtf"ing me :eek:

lol. Not a bad idea too. I'll add that and see if I can make one for the GPU's as well since I might be changing them soon :)
Haven't done any modding yet today. I'll get to that after I post a few things.

Sorry for the lack of updates...
Life has me busy. Better than sitting idle though :)

Anyways today is going to be a full build day. I'm gonna go nuts build the box to hold the rad, pump and PSU as well as cutting out the holes for the socket and power cables.
With lots of luck, I might be able to leak test tonight.

All this while I have a sore throat and a (getting worse) cough :(

Fighting a cold bug .....

well if you ask Tina she would say Overdose on Vitamin C ..... about 8 tabs at once 3 times a day ....... if you catch it early enough it can help

Me I believe in self medication ........ or simply a good hot Toddy or two ....... in short ..... allot of whiskey, sugar and honey ..... served Warm / Hot. !!!!!!! Caution too many hot toddies and power tools don't mix!!!!!!!!!

Fighting a cold bug .....

well if you ask Tina she would say Overdose on Vitamin C ..... about 8 tabs at once 3 times a day ....... if you catch it early enough it can help

Me I believe in self medication ........ or simply a good hot Toddy or two ....... in short ..... allot of whiskey, sugar and honey ..... served Warm / Hot. !!!!!!! Caution too many hot toddies and power tools don't mix!!!!!!!!!
I'll have to try thx! :thup:
I worked with an old farmer. He recommended rye + a local berry of which, I forgot the name..
I tried it, burns like hell lol. tastes good though :)

Anyways here's what I have gotten done today:
Rad mounted:
DSC00909.JPG
DSC00908.JPG
PSU & pump mounted as well
DSC00912.JPG
This is a side view, minus the tubing of course.
DSC00910.JPG

I also have discovered that one of the NZXT fans is dead. It tries to spin up but it doesn't even make a rotation. I can freely spin it by hand with no resistance though... I'll just use the Yate Loon mediums as the push in the rad :)

Will finish this case tomorrow me hopes!

Wow, very nice. How are you going to offset the PSU weight?

I turned the PSU on it's side which helped a lot, with the weight of the mobo mounted, it's holding it own weight.
Hard drives will be installed to act as counterbalances as well.

I may also make 2 small boxes and fill them with nuts & bolts to help if it's unstable. :p

Nice progress so far ...... :clap:

Do you have rom in behind your motherboard tray ...... not sure how it would look but mounting your power supply there would alleviate your weight issue and help balance the whole thing. Once you get that loop filled it will add even more weight to the backside of the case. Or moving the whole center brace or tower forward on the bottom base should also achieve the same deal. Just a couple thoughts that could help.

Nice progress so far ...... :clap:

Do you have rom in behind your motherboard tray ...... not sure how it would look but mounting your power supply there would alleviate your weight issue and help balance the whole thing. Once you get that loop filled it will add even more weight to the backside of the case. Or moving the whole center brace or tower forward on the bottom base should also achieve the same deal. Just a couple thoughts that could help.

Thanks! :)
I could move the PSU yeah, but it's balancing on it's own quite well actually. I'm a bit surprised myself lol.

Speaking of PSU, I found that the wires from the PSU are not long enough to go inside the support column :cry:
I'll have to make them look neat on the sides of the column it seems... Meh, better than before. I suppose.

And here is the rig now:
Tomorrow I will be attaching the proper PEX clamps and after that, leak test! :clap:

DSC00913.JPG DSC00914.JPG DSC00915.JPG

I was worried about all the 90's but i was told the pump can handle it just fine :)

I'd replace those copper fittings for rigid plastic ones. I'm assuming that radiator is aluminum. That's a problem waiting to happen down the road.

I'd replace those copper fittings for rigid plastic ones. I'm assuming that radiator is aluminum. That's a problem waiting to happen down the road.

They are brass fittings.
RAD feels light, so yeah probably aluminum.
CPU block is also copper too

Don't forget that I'm going it run 10% antifreeze in this loop as well ;)

They are brass fittings.
RAD feels light, so yeah probably aluminum.
CPU block is also copper too

Don't forget that I'm going it run 10% antifreeze in this loop as well ;)

Brass and aluminum will still galvanize. 10% antifreeze is still 90% water. Unless it has zinc particles it won't matter. Your cpu block is nickel plated. Again, I recommend you change those fittings.

Your system though, it'll probably take a good while for it to corrode completely.

Okay wow. 2nd time using mobile version here, let's hope this works lol. Anyways, the CPU block is NOT nickle plated, it's highly polshed copper. EK Supremacy for AMD ONLY ;)

Glad to hear it's a copper rad, so the actual corrosion will be minimal then good to know it won't have chunks and flakes of crap floating around in the loop lol.

I was able to make a section of PEX bend to my will, which eliminates the 2 90 elbows right after the pump :)

So the loop is setup like th is:
Res -- pump -- rad -- block -- back to res. Gravity still feeds pump, even though the line to the pump is uphill a bit. Is the loop in the correct order? IIRC Mr.Scott and other guys said as long as the res feeds the pump I'm golden.

Back