• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

well Here is what my system will be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

This is the system I am building and I hope I don't get a lot of "Damn I wouldn't have used that part...lol"

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO DDR3 2800 LGA 1150 Motherboard socket for 4th Generation
EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI mHDMI Graphics Cards 04G-P4-3748-KR
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
3 of Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
1 of Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

Yea or ney????

Lotta storage space.
Why not trade some of that storage space for a 970 or a 980 and be good for years to come? :)

Are you talking graphics card? if so this one is fine for what I do I'm not a gamer. Lots of storage is what I need.

If you're not a gamer that system will do just fine for you.

The only change I would consider would be a different HDD brand, I've just had and seen too many issues lately with Seagate drives, and very very few issues with WD and HGST (hitachi) drives.

Although you didn't specify what you will be using the system for, do you plan to do some heavy overclocking? You could likely save $70+ and get an ASRock Extreme 6 instead of the ASUS M7H.

I understand about your opinion about Seagate but I have never had an issue with any HD. I guess it's like the Ford Chevy thing what one likes the other hates. No overclocking for me this cpu will be all I need. I use it for Adobe products I do a lot of graphics work.

In one of his other build threads, there are a couple all closely related, he mentioned it. :)

I don't see a point in the M7H either for his needs. Regardless, it should be good for his uses and more!

Seagate drives tend to have a higher failure rate. Its not a preference thing. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by"I don't see a point in the M7H either"

In one of his other build threads, there are a couple all closely related, he mentioned it. :)

I don't see a point in the M7H either for his needs. Regardless, it should be good for his uses and more!

Seagate drives tend to have a higher failure rate. Its not a preference thing. ;)

I''m not sure what your first part means either??? "In one of his other build threads, there are a couple all closely related, he mentioned it. "

why spend the extra $$$$ on the asus when the asrock will do all he needs is what i think he's saying.
why all spinners? once you go ssd you'll never go back to a spinner for a boot drive.
and seagate have a higher failure rate.

I'll never go SSD too expensive and low storage as far as the Asus, I always use Asus. see I always use thing that I never have issues with. Like Seagate my have more failures in stats, but for me I have only had one in 16 years so for me Seagate is what I chose and Asus the same way.

If you won't be overclocking you are well well overspending on a motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3132415&cm_re=asus_h97-_-13-132-415-_-Product

Would save you over $100, which you can put towards an SSD (240-250GB), once you use it you will wonder why you didn't use one earlier.

Do you have a specific RAID setup in mind for getting the 3x2TB drives? If not, it would probably be about the same price to get 2x4TB drives and gain extra space.

May as well drop to a 4790 as well, as the K is made for overclocking, if you don't have any plans to do that you can save another $30+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3132415&cm_re=asus_h97-_-13-132-415-_-Product

Would save you over $100, which you can put towards an SSD (240-250GB), once you use it you will wonder why you didn't use one earlier.

Do you have a specific RAID setup in mind for getting the 3x2TB drives? If not, it would probably be about the same price to get 2x4TB drives and gain extra space.

May as well drop to a 4790 as well, as the K is made for overclocking, if you don't have any plans to do that you can save another $30+

Yes I agree 100% I tend to get all the bells and whistles and not use them. Like I said in a post earlier I don't come here to get overclocking advice I just think you people know alot about computers so I trust this forum over many others.

Here's something funny about paying more than I have to on this build. I wanted to learn how to play the guitar so I thought if I buy one it would give me more interest in learning to play, I now own 5 guitars and still haven't learn how to play.

None of us know when our time is up so I live life like each day is my last. If I want something I get it. I'm not rich bby any means but I do save in a lot of places so I can spend on this I enjoy. Go figure

I appreciate all your comments about what I picked for my build. I just got everything in yesterday and don't feel the need to return anything. Sure I take your point about have a different setup that would save me $$$ but these parts are what I picked and for what I will be using the new computer for I 'm sure it will suit me fine.

Like I mentioned above I always build a system that is way more than I need however I try to pick parts I am use to having and as far a Seagate In many years I have only had one fail. My first WD many years ago failed and the warranty replacement fail right out of the box.

I hear all of you and I am 100% sure that you have facts to back up Seagates high failure rate but for me they have been great and I will always use them until they start to fail me. Some thing for the Asus, sure I could ahve got a much cheaper brand MB but I like building a system that will last for years and who know if I decide later in life to over clock I already have the proper parts to do that.
I'm a retired Private Investigator and bail bondsman, my motto was I'd rather know a good bail bondsman and not need him than need one and not know him.

I'll be the first to admit I build over kill and I could save money buying less expensive parts and have just as good of system but I stick to what had served me good in the past and Asus and Seagate has severed me very well.

I realized that there would be some replies that would not agree with what I bought for my new build but that is OK I take everything you say and store it in my head. Some day ( I hope never) I might come back and say my drive failed me, I will get many I told you so's. Time will tell.

On my drive setup run a redundant backup system, I Have my main drive that is my OS and on a different drive I make a copy of all my original drives and make a third copy on another drive so for me to lose everything I would have to have 3 drives fail me at once.

Earth Dog what do you mean when you said "in one of his other build threads, there are a couple all closely related, he mentioned it. " I'm confused as to what you mean can you please explain what you meant ?

I know many disagree with what I bought and think I wasted a lot of money, I may have but I now have the system I wanted and I am OK spending what I did to get it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree but I will always respect your opinions even if I don't use your suggestions and I appreciate your input.

Its just a bit ironic that you are calling an SSD "too expensive" when it would have arguably been the best upgrade you can 'feel/notice' on this PC you built. Buying a PC in this day and age with the budget you have and the overkill on all the other parts, withOUT an SSD is a travesty for you. I understand the space GB/$ problem it poses, but since you do not play games, you could have had your OS and major programs on the SSD, Data (music/movies/etc) on a HDD, then used another mechanical drive or two (since you backup your backup) to back it up. All other parts aside, not getting an SSD was the biggest curiosity.

That said, its you who needs to be happy with what you built, and you are, so enjoy that PC! Please post pictures up when you get it built! :)

Last edited:
Its just a bit ironic that you are calling an SSD "too expensive" when it would have arguably been the best upgrade you can 'feel/notice' on this PC you built. Buying a PC in this day and age with the budget you have and the overkill on all the other parts, with Out an SSD is a travesty for you. I understand the space GB/$ problem it poses, but since you do not play games, you could have had your OS and major programs on the SSD, Data (music/movies/etc) on a HDD, then used another mechanical drive or two (since you backup your backup) to back it up. All other parts aside, not getting an SSD was the biggest curiosity.

That said, its you who needs to be happy with what you built, and you are, so enjoy that PC! Please post pictures up when you get it built! :)

Thank you for explaining yourself. I can see your point although I can't agree with it. I did a Google search for SSD's and for a 1 TB or 2TB the cost was $3000 + I have no doubt if someone doesn't need a lot of storage a SSD is the way to go from what I read. I just Goggled SSD and a 120 MB was about $200+ there were some in the mb range not GB and most were in the several hundreds of dollars. I would imagine same day I will go the route of SSD but not for a while for me. I guess it is a matter of choice as to where to spend your money. A fast reliable computer with 7 TB of storage is what my money needed to buy this time.

In no way am I saying your suggestions were wrong, they were just not right for me personally . Crossing fingers about to unplug computer and bring it into my build room.

I would imagine sometime about this time on the 14th I might be back up and running. I wish there was a way yo measure what my current PC measures and then compare to the new one.
Thanks
Everyone
Ron

There are PLENTY of benchmarks you can use to compare... Wprime for CPU... 3DMark for games/GPU...The latest PCMark does it all...

$3K? Try $400 (there are likely cheaper ones too) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=Samsung_850_evo_1tb-_-20-147-374-_-Product

Again, you do not have to put ALL your files on it so you do not necessarily NEED a 1TB drive as I explained earlier.......
you could have had your OS and major programs on the SSD, Data (music/movies/etc) on a HDD, then used another mechanical drive or two (since you backup your backup) to back it up.
Grab a 500GB SSD instead like this one for $200 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=Samsung_850_evo_1tb-_-20-147-374-_-Product

You have a couple TB of files? Like movies and music? Put them on the HDD, you don't need "SSD" fast for those kind of files. ;)

A 120-240GB drive would probably be plenty for a non-gamer, even. Heck, I'm a gamer and I don't forsee needing more than 250GB for a long time. If I run out of space on the SSD, I'll transfer stuff to the HDD.

FYI, A decent 128GB SSD can be had for ~$60 these days, and a good one can be had for ~$80. There's still the option to upgrade...

Its just a bit ironic that you are calling an SSD "too expensive" when it would have arguably been the best upgrade you can 'feel/notice' on this PC you built. Buying a PC in this day and age with the budget you have and the overkill on all the other parts, withOUT an SSD is a travesty for you. I understand the space GB/$ problem it poses, but since you do not play games, you could have had your OS and major programs on the SSD, Data (music/movies/etc) on a HDD, then used another mechanical drive or two (since you backup your backup) to back it up. All other parts aside, not getting an SSD was the biggest curiosity.

I respect your opinion but what is good for one person isn't always good for everyone. My main need is storage, tell me what a 2 TB SSD cost? but if you and many others are fans of SSD that is great.

I may have bought a lot more than people think I had to but I wanted it and I bought it

I hope your disappointment in my choices doesn't prevent you from offering advice when I ask for some.

I think you are misunderstanding what the guys are saying.
For storage, go for the HDD's.
There is no downside adding an SSD to install your OS (windows) and main programs (Adobe stuff).
Your computer will boot way faster and your programs will open and run faster.
Save your files and store on the HDD's.
No one is suggesting you get rid of the HDD's. Just add a 250 gig SSD.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

At the end of the day, the choices you make on your build are your own. Nobody will be disappointed with you, or withhold advice. It's not how it works here. :)

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding what the guys are saying.
For storage, go for the HDD's.
There is no downside adding an SSD to install your OS (windows) and main programs (Adobe stuff).
Your computer will boot way faster and your programs will open and run faster.
Save your files and store on the HDD's.
No one is suggesting you get rid of the HDD's. Just add a 250 gig SSD.

Yes that does make it clear,you don't need a lot storage for the OS, Thanks for explaining that.Sorry I didn't catch on sooner what you were saying about the SSD

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

At the end of the day, the choices you make on your build are your own. Nobody will be disappointed with you, or withhold advice. It's not how it works here. :)

Back