• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8370 Overclock Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FauxP0tat0

Hi there, this is my first OC with an FX8370, but have OC'd on Intel, and AMD A10 systems before.
This OC is on stock volts (1.3375) but seems the motherboard demands a little more power, nothing 'complains' though.
Digi+ LLC set to High and set to allow 130% power. Has a vDroop issue if these (LLC at least) aren't set past stock clocks.

Had some shenanigans with Prime95 hitting a SUMOUT error every 19 minutes no matter what settings were used on custom blend test, which was attributed to RAM (had to manually adjust timings using D.O.C.P. AMD RAM profile, then setting everything back manually). Trying to adjust this required a bit of patience+time, and researching solutions online, but now Prime has worked for hours with zero errors. Also had some fun with the motherboard power-cycling a couple times, likely due to an "Auto" setting being left on somewhere (couldn't get back into BIOS without a complete reset). This might also have been a power-at-wall glitch that some electronics have suffered before; however, there is a good power regulator at the socket (it doesn't remove the problem, only lessens it).

It's all good now. 2 days of testing, and more than 12 of hardware stressing.
CPU and Package are within 4C of each other in this photo, but think that might have something to do with it being humid in here at the moment (this place has heat+humidity issues). Yesterday they were within 8C apart with the window open and room temps at 20C.

Voltage bumping at:
4.7Ghz requires 1.35625 (load: the CPU at 55C, Package 50C)
4.8Ghz requires 1.36875 (load: the CPU at 58C, Package 55C)
I'm moving over the weekend, the new place has a proper environment temp/humidity/electrical wise, so that should help stabilize things.

Using this as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) as a hobby, so for the most part stability is more important than performance, so I might opt for close-to-stock settings as possible. For what I could squeeze out of stock volts, thinking this is a good chip :)

Attachments

• HW_MONITOR.png
    HW_MONITOR.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 936
  • CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 944
  • CPU_Z_MEMORY.png
    CPU_Z_MEMORY.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 933
  • CPU_Z_SPD.png
    CPU_Z_SPD.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
Welcome to the OCF, FauxP0tat0

Looks pretty good actually. Temps seem okay for sure and nothing wrong with the cpu voltage. If your 4.7Ghz settings can pass at least 2 hours P95 Blend mode, then you should be very good to go. Luck man and congrats.

RGone...:salute:

These later AMD Fx chips seem to run mid to high 4's on really low voltage. That looks to be a nice chip for ambient cooling, FauxP0tat0. :thup:

I'm thinking I'm seeing a trend with these newer 83xx chips. I kinda want to see what an 8310 does now since they'd likely be all "newer die" chips...

I'd be interested in the rest of your 4.7 and 4.8 settings. 4.7 tends to lock or chew up after a few hours in Rosetta@Home for me. 4.8 starts pulling comp errors and/or bluescreen pretty quickly.

Those things also could be (likely are) very much me being still a n00b with FX clocking (free time these last two weeks has been limited). I'm sure my route of going HT clock means I need to spend some more quality time learning the chipset ;)

Also yea I probably should have bought 1866 memory instead of 1600. Whoops.

It would be fun to get more data points on these newer FX chips, regardless of "model" and see if there is much difference now. 8310 @ 4.5 would be sweet deal, even if it took a bit more volts.

8370at4634.png

My temps aren't so great, but this is also (currently still) running Rosetta@Home for about 7 days with my lackluster case flow. I also want to see if i can tighten memory timings more. Because flogging already overclocked memory further is always a great idea, right? ;)

Your instability above 4.6 is probably more du to your ram timings. 2500+ on your NB combined with your ram OC might be a touch high as well. Not sure what you CPU/NB and ram volts are but maybe try bumping them up ...... try 1.65 - 1.7 on your ram 1.25 - 1.3 CPU/NB to start you might need to go higher. Of course keep an eye on your temps and test. Your temps look ok but do you have any cooling on the backside of your CPU Socket? if not that can help allot especially when you get up higher.

My 24/7 Oc 4.7 with my 8350 that I purchased in 2012 is 1.46875 Cpu V, on H2O. Additionally I need 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run 1866 on my ram.

Thanks guys but I don't want to threadjack FauxP0tat0's further. When I get more time I'll fire up a new thread, but I'll definitely start with your guy's suggestions. :thup:

I'm really wanting to see what voltages FauxP0tat0 used for his 4.7 and 4.8 stability to compare with and see difference of just clocking on multiplier alone vs. base clock.

Thanks guys but I don't want to threadjack FauxP0tat0's further. When I get more time I'll fire up a new thread, but I'll definitely start with your guy's suggestions. :thup:

I'm really wanting to see what voltages FauxP0tat0 used for his 4.7 and 4.8 stability to compare with and see difference of just clocking on multiplier alone vs. base clock.
Pop on here Just Putzun the thread is about anything but a lot of the guys that post here are AMD peeps. There's a lot of useful stuff on the thread if you take the time to read through it.

150407164516.jpg 150407164530.jpg 150407164602.jpg 150407164644.jpg 150407164649.jpg 150407164724.jpg 150407164735.jpg 150407164800.jpg 150407164811.jpg 150407164928.jpg 150407164938.jpg 150407165002.jpg

Fans run in Quiet Mode yielded about the same temps. More headroom with "Turbo" but motherboard is inefficient as far as RPM control goes.

Every day use has power options enabled and 4.0 turbos to 4.6.

Back