• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead gpu fan. Should I worry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clapper66

Registered
I own 2 Sapphire HD 7870s dual x cooler cards and I just noticed one fan on one of the gpus has died. I tried to pull it apart to oil it but that did nothing so its dead. My question is should I really worry about it? The card has 2 fans so only one works. With only one fan i just let the valley benchmark loop for half an hour and my card reached a max temp of 65. I see I can get fans online but $25 for them Is just nuts. Do your think I should just spend the money on a new one or just leave it as is?

What's the primary use for this rig, gaming, folding, mining? IIRC Unigen Heaven loop will stress the card a little harder maybe try that. Bottom line though, if the card is staying cool and not throttling why fix it?

yea it does have 2, that is a good point :p
its for gaming and some video editing for some game play. if anything im going to some how rig a 120mm fan under it for now. honsetly for how old the cards are its not a big deal. im using a NZXT source 530 case with all 9 fan slots filled so the it gets great airflow.

this is the card

sapphire_radeon_hd_7870_dual_x_tpu.jpg

These are the fans on it.

HTB1JnWQFXXXXXccbXXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg

Seeing how the fan cable has the splitter on it. im am thinking i may be able to just buy a same size fan with plug on it

I lost the thermal paste i had so i need to go buy some once i get some i will be pulling each gpu apart to re do the paste.

Also i don't really care if the fan does not math or is a little load wile gaming. im usually listing headphones or have music

Last edited:
Sapphire fans seem to be shoddy quality. Read alot of posts about them dying. Any similar eBay replacement should do and you can usually find replacement dual-x kits on there.

I place a very high value on my game time, if the other fan died in game my play time would be over and i would kick myself.

Back