• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX960 thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I know that GTX960 started as not best priced card but I can't believe that noone bought it.
Since I see no threads about these cards and prices already started to drop then I thought that will be good to make a thread about general info and user experience.

If you have any results in games or benchmarks made on GTX960 then please share.

For me GTX960 are still expensive but I had to replace one of the older cards and I found GTX960 to be the best option for my not really demanding games in 1080p. I will probably post some results when it arrives ( and if I find some more time to test it ). I decided on a probably cheapest GTX960 ( at least in EU ) which is Gigabyte ITX version. I'm not sure how much is it worth as there are no reviews other than some youtube stock clock results. Anyway it was ~$50 cheaper than any other GTX960 so I thought why not especially that Nvidia is now adding Witcher 3 keys. This is kinda weird to me as premiere of this game will be in 2 months.

Regarding card itself it looks like it's not much better than the GTX760 but also cost not much more ( at least on EU market ). At the same time is not much slower than the GTX680/770 in many games which cost almost the same on auctions. It's much faster than the GTX750Ti which was my first idea for cheaper gaming card but local prices are weirdly high for these cards ~$160 vs ~$200.

As I already said earlier, please share your experience, OC results, game performance or anything else related to GTX960. If you don't have these cards but want to add comments then fell free to join.

Me too especially that I ordered the smallest version with only 1x 6 pin power connector. On the other hand ASUS Strix or some other cards also have 1x 6pin.
Looking at the specification it's exactly half of the GTX980. Price of the GTX960 GB ITX OC card on my local market is 1/3 of GTX980 or 1/2 of GTX970. There are also more expensive versions but I don't think it's worth it.
What is weird for me is that some manufacturers like EVGA, Inno3D or Gigabyte, decided to make really big cards. Some are even longer than the average GTX980. So far all GTX960 which I saw had 4-6 power phases but the same had GTX970 which is much stronger.
I mean look at this thing:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...orce-gtx-960-ichill-x3-air-boss-ultra-review/

Yup and there is not much more on the PCB than on this:

g.jpg

Just much better cooler and 1 more power phase if I'm right.

On the other hand you pay so much and you get that little thing where are barely any components. Couple of years ago card like GTX960 would cost $100 , not $200.

I had fun playing with the MSI one I reviewed anyway...

Seeing as how the card is 120W, I am sure those coolers will be fine. I got a good laugh at that giant 960 though!!

my cousin recently bought one when he rebuilt to replace his 6950 tried to talk him up to a 970 but his 6950 was still plenty fast for him so a 960 was a worth upgrade. he diggs it. lol we dont play much of anything very demanding tho.

Wow, that is small , guess the real question is how effective will that cooler be ?

71*C max on stock after couple of Heaven+3DM11+3DMFS Xtreme runs. Card has temp limit set to 80*C.
GPU-Z is showing power limit error at any overvoltage but is still bumping boost clock by 100MHz when I set +50mV and 108* power limit. GPU-Z is showing max of 98% TDP so card has more than 120W as power design is 75+75W= ~150W max.

If it isn't hitting 100%, wouldn't it be LESS than its TDP of 120W?

Remember, at stock speeds/voltage, chances are it doesn't hit the TDP...

I mean 100% is 150W. 120W is only what Nvidia says, the same as GTX970 supposed to have 145W while most cards were reaching 180W.
In BIOS there is real TDP limit which is 150W.

edit:

1.JPG

Quick bios mod to raise rail values and max power limit. 1579MHz passed couple of times 3DMFS. Actually not constant 1579 but for most of the time between 1540 and 1579MHz.

Memory is exactly the same as you can find on GTX970 or GTX980. Right now running 3DM @2000MHz.

Last edited:
I don't know how much is it interesting but on Win8 in 3DMark 11 when I set voltage to 1.25V+ then is dropping down to 1.16-1.20V what depends from load. On Win7 it's not, even though I'm using the same drivers and the same graphics settings.

Max boost so far which I saw was ~1610MHz but for most of the time it's balancing at about 1550-1570MHz in most benchmarks.
My card's ASIC is 74.7% so nothing special but above the average for GTX900 series. At the same time it's easier overclocking than GTX970/980 which I had.
Nvidia Inspector is showing max theoretical boost of 1680MHz at the same settings as in benchmarks it's running at about ~1570MHz but I guess that without additional mods and better cooling it won't pass ~1600MHz without throttling.
All that on the card which photo is in post #5 :)

2 results at max OC I could make on stock air cooler. Max boost slightly above 1600MHz core and 2000MHz memory. In 3D generally clock is all the time above ~1540MHz.

1960.jpg

2960.jpg

What is also great, no coil moaning at all and cooler is quiet. It starting to make some more noise above 50% speed but at auto settings it's hard to make it run so fast.

I think for SLI best would be 4GB version as graphics memory from each card is not adding. I'm not sure if you can mix 2 and 4GB GTX960 to set SLI.
My card is 2GB ITX version and I doubt I will get 2nd one for SLI even though I wish to check how it's running.

Good for us, prices are going down ... slowly but better than what we saw after premiere. In local stores just after GTX960 premiere, GTX970 cost about $100 more offering much higher performance.

Yes, but after Nvidia playing around with the 970 memory ( so called 4GB) do you really want to. I still would like to see GTX970 benchmarks to pair 2-GTX960 vs GTX970, That's why we all are here.

Last edited:
Even if 4GB GTX960 have the same memory issue as GTX970 then it's better to have 3.5GB fully functional memory than 2GB.

I would almost bet the farm that the memory isnt as it is on the gtx970. no reason for it to be that way, would guess that there is only half the memory channels with double density chips to make that 4gb. its not going to perform like a 980 as its only 128bit bus

Please show us the numbers, GTX970 vs My SLI GTX960 OC

Showing benchmark results has no point when you compare memory size. I have no GTX970 right now and I never said I will show any comparison. This thread was started just to encourage GTX960 users to post some results as barely anyone is actually buying these cards because of bad starting price ( now it's getting better ). It doesn't mean they're bad just like everything from nvidia recently, highly overpriced.

If you really want then this is my single GTX970 result comparing to your GTX960 in SLI.

image_id_1275708.jpg

Back to GTX960, here are results with max core boost @1700-1709MHz. Card is still the same Gigabyte ITX version just after some changes in BIOS.

v.jpg

11.jpg

fs.jpg

Last edited:
Back