• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

infinte loop in xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
hey im helping a good buddy of mine help his mom ( hes away or hed do it himself)

but heres the deal

the power in are area went all wacky for a week ( like 6 outages a day) ( its attached to a surge protector)

but now you turn on the computer

comes to the xp faild to load how do you want to start up

safe
normal
yadda
yadda

if you select anyof these
it loads up you can see the progress bar
then juuuuuuuussssssssst before the log in scree

bam blue screen of death
then it power cycles and starts over again

ive tired every option there is from the menu

i checked the ram the cpu the mobo and the power supply
ive taken out all the cards but the video

so immmmmmmmm pretty sure its the os

does the xp pro disk have a repair option if you boot from it
if so it may be acouple days till my buddy comes home with the disk is there any other option.
i really dont want to reinstall and tell his mom shes going to lose all her stuff

anyideas

let me know

and thanks

crash893

try booting with the winxp cd and do an install when it asks what drive to put windows on tell it to install on the same drive where windows is. It should ask you if you want to do a repair. If it says anything else exit as you will be blowing away the old install. If it gives you the repair option it will look like it is reinstalling windows witch it essentilly is but it is using the old settings from the previous install.

My brother had the same exact problem a few weeks ago with Windows XP Home and I just couldn't figure it out for him, so I had no choice but to reinstall a fresh copy of it to get the system up and running again. That's what he gets for not shutting down his PC properly. Windows XP has the tendancy of getting all screwed up and corrupted when you cut off the power with the system still powered up and running XP a couple of times. I told him if he does it again I'm not helping him with his computer system ever again.:eh?:

Back