• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resistor for Phobya DC12-260 12V Pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cysporin

hi i just recently finished building my first computer. it has a full custom loop in a parvum 2.0 case and it looks mint (y)
my only issue with it is all i can hear is my pump its too loud and i can hear it from a few meters away. apparently the only way to quiet it down is with a resistor, but the guy at jaycar electronics says getting the right resistor for it is not so simple. anyone know what one to buy? links are greatly appreciated. cheers!

You think that pump is loud? :confused:
22 db or less isn't loud. Try de-coupling it from the rig.
If you had to, you could do the 7v mod, but anything you do to slow/quiet it down will also slow down the flow rate.

Make sure there is water flow. Sometimes the pumps scream if the pumps are running dry or a possible bubble is lodged in them.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

I have a similar pump and it's not necessarily loud but it does have an annoying whine or vibration when at full power. I sat it on a rubber pad to help isolate the vibration and also hooked it up to a fan controller and turned the power down. These two things essentially made it inaudible.

can i connect a 3-pin pump to a fan controller and turn it down though?
and i dont think there will still be air in it, ive had the thing running for like 2 weeks! would it still be possible? should i give it a bang or something? :p
yes 22db is loud. its fine playing games or listening to music but surfing the web and all i hear is a bzzzzzzzzzz i wanted a water coooling loop to be virtually silent. i hardly get days over 30 degrees where i live! so 7v im sure will do

If the water flow is moving along you should be fine but yes, sometimes bubbles lodged in a pump can cause more noise. It could be the vibration and type of pump that it is. Other members have said these pumps can be audible so I'll go with that.

Air in the pump will make a lot more noise than a properly primed pump. Also, you can still have good / decent flow EVEN if there's trapped air... so it's worth checking into. Try turning the system 90 degrees in a few directions while the pump runs, maybe pick the case up and gently shake it. Other than that, isolate the pump from the case... try setting it on a towel.

By 3 pin connector... I'm amusing if you pump has one that it is only for RPM display to the system. Do not rewire the pump to run off a fan header, you'll kill your motherboard. And just so ya know, the "7V mod" is simply using 12V for + and using 5V for your ground instead of actually using ground. Somebody correct me if wrong, but I thought this wasn't the best thing for a power supply? And if you do under volt the pump, just make sure it is still indeed pumping and at an acceptable rate.

And if you do under volt the pump, just make sure it is still indeed pumping and at an acceptable rate.

Yup. Careful when you under volt the pump as it might need a certain amount to start up as a fan would.

That pump has a starting voltage of 8V listed in specs. It's rated at 8W continuous power(possibly somekind of average) or 1Amps 12Volts.
I would not try 7Volting that pump. It might start and work for the next hundred times and then just once refuse to start and cause damage. More likely it just wont work.
Something like 2 or 3 ohm resistor would work dropping the voltage down but you will need quite beefy fireproof resistor to do that.

Best option is to just decouple the pump from the case like Mr.Scott suggested.

As others have said, the pump itself isn't what is making the majority of the noise, it's the vibrations throughout the case which are noisy. Decouple the pump from the case and it should take away a great deal of noise. There are different ways to do so, but a multi-layer approach would be best. It's what I did to my pump to remove the noise, via multiple layers of neoprene and silicone.

i really dont want to remove the pump, i have hard tubing all bent up perfectly for the system already! so much work plus i dont have any drain plug because i didnt know about them :p
the pump is also mounted on a foam pad which come with the pump, and the case is made of 5mm acrylic. i just tried holding the pump and surrounding surfaces with my hands and i found i lose like... 1-2db holding the base up with my finger so thats something to work on but not enough.
i also found there are fan/pump controllers on the market which sound like a great option, only the ones that say are for a pump are huge and might not fit in my case or will need modification. so if anyone knows of a small one that works let me know :) might try and steer clear of the resistor idea now thanks Waza. My PC.jpg

this is what my PC looks like by the way. (samsung phone takes terrible pictures) cheers for the help too!

There is the problem. Hard tubing + all that weight (the rez + water) sitting atop the pump and sitting directly on the case, all means of the pump vibration to get to the case. Luckily you have a acrylic case, as a metal case I'm sure would be rattling like crazy. On the topic of the foam pad, I was using just a single 10mm thick silicone vibration dampening pad for my pump (I think it was one being sold by Petra's when they were still around), but that wasn't enough to keep the vibrations away and causing the case and panel to resonate. With that setup you have, a very large, thick, and all kinds of different materials sandwich of a pad would be needed to isolate the vibrations from your case.

Also, mechanical HDDs. If you have any in that case, they too will be a source of vibrations that will also cause the case to resonate. I've isolated my HDDs and pump to the point, that now pretty much the only vibrations that can barely be felt (not heard) are from the case fans.

It seems like you have a few choices to make. You can try and put the pump on a fan controller to drop the RPM's down so it isn't as audible. You can also try better material to absorb more of the vibrations under the pump . You can try putting some sound deadening around the pump, but this may also cause it to overheat.

Back