• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing RAM to 1600 from 1333 on ASRock Z97 Extreme 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

This is a new upgrade from my 1090T AMD and I haven't been into the BIOS yet to try to change the ram but CPU-Z shows my 1600 Dominator is running at 1333. I haven't used a BIOS yet on an intel platform and my last board was ASUS so I wanted to consult first before I went in and tried to change anything. Currently everything is stock, I only changed the boot drive in the BIOS, rest is untouched.

Attachments

• cpuz7.jpg
    cpuz7.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 926
u have nothing to worry about just go in there and change the ram speed...if your system is unstable for any reason there is a jumper by the small error code display on the board to clear the cmos and go back to defaults

You should load the XMP profile for the ram to have correct timings and voltage for the specified speed.

You should load the XMP profile for the ram to have correct timings and voltage for the specified speed.

Do I do this manually or done through a download? Sorry if that sounds completely basic.. :)

You want manual input not XMP, although you would follow XMP settings and voltages displayed in the Cpu-z tab. If you can't remember them, write them down, enter bios and manually set your Ram up.

That chip will handle Ram speeds from 2000 to 2400mhz daily. So if you get an itch to upgrade that Ram, by all means do so.

I changed the timings to 8-8-8-24-41, saved and it failed to boot. After about 3 tries it reset itself so I obviously missed something or left something on Auto. There's much more in this boards Bios than my old Asus board that's for sure. Does every entry need a value other than "Auto" when input manually?

Edit to add: I didn't try the XMP profile yet that was in the BIOS.

Last edited:
I chose the XMP profile in the BIOS and it worked. Does the row refresh of 128 clocks sound right? Other than that it appears to be working.

Attachments

• cpuz8.jpg
    cpuz8.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 735
Back