• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you see an app that can open url shortcuts in Android browsers, pls post here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
There used to be this one for Android versions prior to Android 4.4 KitKat but it does not work in modern phones:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zapek.android.stuntzurl

I have 1500+ url web page shortcuts in my archives and it would be nice to launch those in Android browsers on modern phones...

EDIT: Question is about opening individual url shortcut files by tapping on them in Android, not importing/exporting bookmarks in bulk.

Last edited:
Have you tried something like ES File Explorer? There are a lot of options in its context menu; perhaps one of them will allow you to follow the link?

Yes, I have now spent a lot of time looking through the features of ES File Explorer.
By the way, I am a long time user of ES File Explorer but have just discovered this file browser which blew me away with its classy user interface and features:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx

I have posted a request for this feature on their xda page, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Try root explorer. I've been using it when I've needed a file manager and it's worked great - should allow you to just open links in chrome by default.

Yes I have root explorer.
When I browse to a folder containing the url file, the open with option presents me with Internal/General/Apps TABs and when I go to Apps, Chrome is not there and neither is Internet Browser but Firefox is and so when I choose Firefox I get a black screen only...

P.S. How do you browse to an external card on Root Explorer?

Atlas browser (free apk) can import a bookmark backup html file. It's the only one I've found can do this. It even allows for sorting. I have no idea what's wrong in that respect with the other ten browsers I tried. Currently on mobile I use ONLY atlas, opera, firefox via proxy mobile addon with orbot, and orweb (like never). Syncing is a damn joke btw. Worked once but if you change pc's or anything, forget it. I disabled that crap.

Last edited:
I am asking about opening an *individual* url shortcut file, for example, files found in the Windows Favorites folder and elsewhere in Windows.
Browsers can export bookmarks into html files and those could be imported in bulk into various Android browsers... that is not the point.

Opening an individual url shortcut file by tapping on it is what this thread is about...

Sending it to a browser in android is like opening the file in an editor. I tried 'open with' but it seems there is no simple way to open a windows url file in an android browser. Oh and I have tried many different browsers in android. The very few that actually work well can't import an html file to an internal bookmark list so you lost me there.

Last edited:
You are correct that inexplicably they cannot do so from a file, and it boggles the mind why a developer of any browser does not have that feature.

They insists this be done through logging in and so you *have to have* a desktop browser, log into their backup cloud feature, upload/backup bookmarks, and only then are you able to "import" into mobile browser and then, predictably, not everything gets imported and you spend hours trying to figure out why only some bookmarks imported but not all....

Both Chrome and Firefox separately had problems importing bookmarks into mobile after they were backed up from my Desktop. So it works like that up to a point.

The 'browser' was removed from android IIRC other than chrome as it was just a webview wrapper for the desktop that had some serious security issues. Maybe try opera or opera classic and see if that works?

Probably depends on the phone, but if you're trying to get to an sdcard you'll need to hit ".." if you're not in the root directory already, then go to: storage/sdcardX . I think the process is similar for a USB-otg cable.

I just wrote a tool doing exactly this, "Toggelis Url Opener". No ads, no money, just a tiny little helper tool.
It comes with a sister tool which lets you create those *.url files on Android.
Tell me if it worked for you.

Great effort. It works!

Your app is this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.toggeli.url

They have fixed the original app to work now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zapek.android.stuntzurl

Hope you continue development and hope you make it better than the other one.
When you click on the url, there is a black screen then it launches on Android.
Since both apps appear to be doing the same thing, both go to black screen, I would say that people compare them by the length of time the black screen flashes, so the less of a black screen flash, the better!

Back