• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repeater or Bridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tumnus

I have looked around a bit for information, but thought it would be easier (for me) to just ask directly for configuration recommendation and a product recommendation.

I am going to be living above a detached garage and grabbing the wireless signal from inside the house. I have some concerns about both my connection to the network and the overall speed. Obviously I am theoretically limited to the maximum speed of the line, but I don't know if there is any way that I can realistically help my speeds. I wanted to see what my best option would be for grabbing the Wi-Fi signal and rebroadcasting it, and what device I could use that would be around $100USD that would help me achieve this.

Ideally, I would like a device that grabs the Wi-Fi and rebroadcasts the Wi-Fi - but also allows me to run a hardline from the device to my desktop. This would allow me to allow visitors (the girlfriend) to have internet access, which is pretty much a necessity.

I have noticed that there are a couple of devices that might help me with this - either a repeater or a bridge. I am having a bit of difficulty discerning the difference, and ultimately deciding which one would be more applicable for my situation. I would love to hear any advice or input that anyone can offer to help me achieve the most stable and effectively connectivity I can with this configuration. Thanks.

If you have a ddwrt capable router you can run it as a repeater bridge and it would do exactly what your asking... allow you to rebroadcast the existing wireless and give you use of the lan ports for a physical connection.
Your speed is going to be heavily dependent on wireless signal strength at the placement of "your" router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Thanks David. I've looked around a bit at that site - it seems as though the Buffalo AC 1750 would do the trick for me, as long as it gets configured properly. Are you saying that ddwrt is a requirement for the configuration that I am trying to achieve?

Thanks David. I've looked around a bit at that site - it seems as though the Buffalo AC 1750 would do the trick for me, as long as it gets configured properly. Are you saying that ddwrt is a requirement for the configuration that I am trying to achieve?

Yes because most default firmware offered on routers dont offer the feature, i'm not familiar with the firmware that comes on that specific router but i doubt it would allow you to run it as a repeater bridge. This is one of the reasons why ddwrt or any other custom firmware are so popular.

I have looked around a bit for information, but thought it would be easier (for me) to just ask directly for configuration recommendation and a product recommendation.

I am going to be living above a detached garage and grabbing the wireless signal from inside the house. I have some concerns about both my connection to the network and the overall speed. Obviously I am theoretically limited to the maximum speed of the line, but I don't know if there is any way that I can realistically help my speeds. I wanted to see what my best option would be for grabbing the Wi-Fi signal and rebroadcasting it, and what device I could use that would be around $100USD that would help me achieve this.

Ideally, I would like a device that grabs the Wi-Fi and rebroadcasts the Wi-Fi - but also allows me to run a hardline from the device to my desktop. This would allow me to allow visitors (the girlfriend) to have internet access, which is pretty much a necessity.

I have noticed that there are a couple of devices that might help me with this - either a repeater or a bridge. I am having a bit of difficulty discerning the difference, and ultimately deciding which one would be more applicable for my situation. I would love to hear any advice or input that anyone can offer to help me achieve the most stable and effectively connectivity I can with this configuration. Thanks.

Just wanted to update on this topic for anyone who might be interested. I have a COAX connection available for use, so I'm going to try going with this product here -

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Dual-Band-Wireless-Extender-WCB3000NK01/dp/B00FF8ZRR8

Hopefully, that will do the trick. Would be happy to post outcome if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the responses everyone

Back