• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a cheap unlocked NEW phone.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbraceTheHate

Girlfriend needs a new phone currently she is using this BLU phone. Its a complete turd and has shotty service. Id like to surprise her with something else, doesnt have to be crazy just a decent smart phone. Id like to keep it under $150. Only ones ive found are the BLU phones and im kinda leary of those.

O btw her provider is walmart thats why she needs a unlocked phone, i believe it runs off of tmobile though.

I bought my girfriend Lumia 630 and she has been happy with it. It does a decent job surfing the web and you can install facebook and whatsapp. It has Wlan and GSM+WCDMA connectivity.
Windows Phone 8.1 is not a bad OS for phones.

If you can get your hands on one of the chinese phones, the new ones have glowing reviews if I remember correctly. Would just have to make sure they work on the spectrum your network uses.

Walmart has LG L90 D415. Comes with a quad and a decent Gpu. plays any game made for android great and is not very expensive. For the moneys, it's a really nice phone IMO.

A little specs...

4.7" screen.
4x ARM Cortex A7 1.2ghz 28nm ranges from 300mhz-1.2ghz
GPU vender Qualcomm
Renderer Adreno (tm) 305 @ 450mhz
Board MSM8226
Android version 4.4.2
Screen Res 960x540
Total RAM 886MB
Internal storage 4GB
Battery 4056mV Li-ion
9 thermal sensors
Has even RF beam for controlling TVs and Cable boxes. (this feature is really cool)

99$ http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-LG-Optimus-L90-Smartphone/35119962

I should mention I use this phone as well as my kids. We game Minecraft together all the time!! :D

You're not going to beat a Moto G or E for that price range. One of the guys at work has a G and it's really nice for the price and basically stock. It'll beat the heck out of any garbage Chinese mediatek-based phones, especially in battery life. Mediatek SOCs are not good for performance or battery compared to qualcomm-based phones - the tablet my mom got for me over xmas is useful for netflix but that's about it since even with a 4000mah battery and a mediatek quad it feels really slow.

I have a droid turbo (basically the g's big brother) and it's really nice, but really any recent moto phone will be lightyears ahead of a BLU device.

We are going tomorrow to look. I like that LG phone and Moto G. I think tmrw i may cancel my Tmobile and get on Walmarts service. Its only 45 a month for unlimited everything, im paying 160 for tmobile right now.

Last edited:
$160?!?! Aren't TMobile plans $50 or $60/mo for everything...

Ya im paying a phone off to. Kinda a dumb move on my end. I read up on it last night and there is a cancellation fee..... So im not sure what im going to do.

Well i only owe $164 on this Sony Xperia Z1s. Going to pay it off and call it quits with Tmobile. Even without having to pay for a phone monthly my bill would still be $118 a month.

Woman picked out the HTC desire 510. It has to be unlocked, unfortunately anyone have experience with unlocking?

If you owe money to the carrier, good luck unlocking it. They will screw you in that respect. Always! try to get the phone unlocked before you cancel or change carriers. Or better yet, buy unlocked to begin with. Give em any excuse like your traveling to india.
I'm lucky as my sister has a 5000 min plan with att (data incl not sure how much) and I piggyback on it for $10.

I dont think you understood my post. Im paying off my phone thru Tmobile and then canceling Tmobile. Then im going to get on my girlfriends plan which is Walmart family mobile, im getting a different phone then. My girlfriend likes the HTC desire 510 its on the Boost mobile prepaid service we want to unlock hers so she can get on the walmart family mobile.

I think I understood. I just don't shop walmart. Looks like your good to go. Good luck with that unlocking thing.

Back