• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General CPU question: 2 Intel CPU's - E8400 3GHz vs i7-2670QM 2.20GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad.metal

I have some general basic knowledge of computer and have built a couple laptops and desktop computers from factory replacement parts and whatnot, im still a little confused on CPUs and processing speeds ie 2.20GHz, which for me is frequency, cycles, etc.

- my laptop fairly new: dell inspiron n5110 with the intel i7. 8gb ram. nvidia graphics.
- my work desktop computer: dell optiplex 720 with the intel E8400. 4gb ram. integrated graphics. (it is hooked to a server)
(BOTH COMPUTERS RUNNING WINDOWS SEVEN)
my question is why is it when im using a program like solidworks, that the desktop computer at work is fast and doesnt load up as compared to the laptop even though the laptop hardware is better (if this could also be explained "what is i7 or Core 2 duo", what distinguishes them from others?).

it just seems like the desktop is overall faster in everyway especially when under extreme loads from the graphics of solidworks. even simple things like running excel with 4000 lines of data with graphs, my laptop lags a little bit. and with a program like solidworks, some assemblies i can barley work on just because it will start lagging in virtual motion where as the desktop computer does not.

just curious and been thinking of building a computer to run all my programs and had it figured out until i came across this a few months back.
anyway any feedback and clarity on this would be great ...

2.2Ghz vs 3Ghz is the first thing I see...

Core2Duo is the 'name' of a generation of CPUs from a few years ago. i7 is just a name of a type of CPU that could be from a generation or two ago, to now (current naming convention). Typically, i7's are quad cores with hyperthreading.

The laptop likely has a slower HDD in it my other guess...

well that is interesting, in solid works that is, since i thought solid works could make use of more then two cores. the E8400 is a dual core cpu, the i7 2670QM is a quad core with HT. if the solid works your using is an older version that only can use 2 cores/ 2 threads, then the performance would go to the E8400.

like earthdog said it could because of the HD, that is one area that can really limit the a PC or Laptop. even though the i7 is newer and a quad core with HT, the architecture of it has not improved enough to make up the difference. as in if you used a program that only used a single core you talking 2.2ghz vs 3ghz, there is no improvement they could make that could make up the 800mhz gap.

2.2Ghz vs 3Ghz is the first thing I see...

Core2Duo is the 'name' of a generation of CPUs from a few years ago. i7 is just a name of a type of CPU that could be from a generation or two ago, to now (current naming convention). Typically, i7's are quad cores with hyperthreading.

The laptop likely has a slower HDD in it my other guess...

what is hyperthreading?

well that is interesting, in solid works that is, since i thought solid works could make use of more then two cores. the E8400 is a dual core cpu, the i7 2670QM is a quad core with HT. if the solid works your using is an older version that only can use 2 cores/ 2 threads, then the performance would go to the E8400.

like earthdog said it could because of the HD, that is one area that can really limit the a PC or Laptop. even though the i7 is newer and a quad core with HT, the architecture of it has not improved enough to make up the difference. as in if you used a program that only used a single core you talking 2.2ghz vs 3ghz, there is no improvement they could make that could make up the 800mhz gap.

i have the newest version of solidworks. and my HD is brandnew bought the 7200rpm just for the quicker read write speeds, do they make a faster harddrive besides solidstate

would it matter that my work computer is hooked up to a server? if this is so could someone elaborate why that is. again im just trying to establish a basis for when i build my home computer it will run programs like solidworks and catia lightening fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is where your are getting your data from, sure...

(Merged your triple posts...please use the edit button. :))

Could also be the Laptop is throttling hard under load. They're not the coolest things.

Could also be the Laptop is throttling hard under load. They're not the coolest things.
+1

This was also one of my thoughts. Laptops tend to run hotter than desktops, so it could be thermal throttling under load to some lower speed/frequency.

Another thing is that it depends on whether the program(s) in use can take advantage of (use) more than two cores. If not, then that would explain why the two faster cores of the E8400 could outperform the four slower cores of the laptop's i7 CPU.

More cores running at a slower speed isn't always better, sometimes fewer cores running at a higher core speed/frequency can perform better. This depends upon how many cores can be used by the individual programs though.

Now, if you were to compare the E8400 to something like an i7 2600K (from same architecture as the CPU in your laptop, but meant for a desktop) then the 2600K would probably thoroughly outperform the E8400.

For a desktop, these days it generally doesn't make much sense to choose a faster dual core over a slower quad core (I don't think there even are any dual cores in current model lines from AMD or Intel that are rated to a faster speed than their quads anyway, at least not by a considerable amount). Basically, my feeling in the current market (2014-2015 lets say) a quad core CPU is basically where most buyers should start looking for an Intel-based PC, now for an AMD-based PC a hexa-core would be the place to start (for AM3+ anyway).

Dual-core CPU's are more for HTPC's and other PC's that won't see a lot of constant use.

What are the video cards in your desktop and laptop? My guess is that the rendering portion is what is holding back your laptop. your desktop probably has a legitimate card in it, and the laptop has some some weak or crippled card in it.

Back