• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM+ MB help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

I have a MSI 970 Gaming that I recently bought and it has 99 on the screen in the lower right handside and will not do anything else except post that on the screen.. I have been out of the game for a while and is this a common thing on this and any other motherboard ???? My plan if broken was to RMA it ..But should I keep it or sell it and buy a another MB for about the same price ???

Thanks

Either MSI website or your mobo manual should describe the boot to 99 code. Or contact MSI Tech Support. To some extent, thankfully, we have not seen a lot of MSI AM3+ mobos in the forum since the blow up mosfets back a couple of years. To get a gaming series board it is my understanding they added a few goodies to what were like GD 43/45/65 and so forth boards and renamed them gaming series boards. Ran across that tidbit on the net and which previous board was renamed to what new name. Did not really interest me so moved on.

Luck man.

RGone...

Code 99 is input device problems so you'll need to do the standar problem solving on it. IE make sure everything is plugged in nice and tight ( power) ram seated etc. Pull it out and do a build outside the box. Check the CPU for bent pins etc.. all the fun stuff and yes my advice, you never mentioned the CPU but MSI hasn't had a good track record with the FX processors if that answers the second question.

I had the MB in the case and out with the same issue .. I change the memory around and used different memory with no changed .. I also changed the video card but still not change and and I tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything and still no change .. I used my 555BE to and still not change.. Any though cause I am lost and I was told the MB had the 99 posted on the screen since the board was new but would still load up and now it's not going past that screen..

I'm out of ideas as RGone said you 'll likely have to get a hold of MSI tech support.

Seems AM3+...

...Post code #99 in bottom right of screen is not foreign to the MSI boards.

Search post code 99 MSI mobo.

Within those search returns/hits were a number of users with, "was working fine" then the error. Sadly of those links I looked at noone came back and replied after they did an RMA. Crap crap.

RGone...

I'm out of ideas as RGone said you 'll likely have to get a hold of MSI tech support.

"johan" I have seen emails from MSI tech support posted in other forums and they are not going to do anything but have you remove all that inputs to the mobo and round and round. It is said that the board will work fine and have 99 appear for a short time and then go onto other codes sort of a reset of itself because the boards were not made for UEFI to begin with. But the boards often finally STOP at 99 and then that is an issue. Ram has been stated as an issue although the code is supposed to indicate initialize i/O. The majority of users had to proceed to RMA.

RGone...

I did kind of mean as a start to RMA process. Us ually they like the problem solving end before authorization.

If memory serves me correctly Torque you're putting an FX-8350 in there. If it were my board I'd go for the RMA and when it comes in try and sell the replacement board and get a ASUS 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 (NON GEN3) and call it a day. If red is your color of choice and a major deciding factor and you have extra money to burn then you can go with the ASUS Crosshair V Formula, though this will be overkill.

Just my 2c.

If memory serves me correctly Torque you're putting an FX-8350 in there. If it were my board I'd go for the RMA and when it comes in try and sell the replacement board and get a ASUS 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 (NON GEN3) and call it a day. If red is your color of choice and a major deciding factor and you have extra money to burn then you can go with the ASUS Crosshair V Formula, though this will be overkill.

Just my 2c.

I am using a fx 8320 and wish I had the money for those mb...I just got my rma info and will be sending it in..

I sold it to him, and it runs the 8320 fine (might not OC as good as a higher end board, but runs perfectly fine @ 4.2/4.3)

First off, and I still havent gotten an answer to this is whether or not he can get into the BIOS, and that screen is AFTER the Boot logo with the whole bit on press delete to enter setup and what not. Because that code 99 (its not a diagnostic code, its their attempt at an LED type display, just on screen and it flashes a dozen different post codes when it boots)

I cant even get a confirmation on whether or not he reset the BIOS.

I can tell you this for a fact, I've booted that board hundreds of time, and the same codes FLASH every time, with the last being 99 (initializing input devices, if thats what Johan has come up with, I came up with something else)

Last edited:
99 = Super IO Initialization

You get to run a check on everything.

Try Bios recovery. If that fails, you can buy a bios chip for this board. (Bios Depot on ebay) If a new bios doesn't work, there's likely a problem with the board and is dead.

Personally, I'd look into a nice Asus board for replacement.

Update Time

I tried everything and couldn't get it work and I called MSI and asked them about the problem and they said the MB is DOA and needs to be RMA.. Well I got sent the RMA info and it is sent out and will be there Saturday and the MB is still under Warranty..

I sold it to him, and it runs the 8320 fine (might not OC as good as a higher end board, but runs perfectly fine @ 4.2/4.3)

First off, and I still havent gotten an answer to this is whether or not he can get into the BIOS, and that screen is AFTER the Boot logo with the whole bit on press delete to enter setup and what not. Because that code 99 (its not a diagnostic code, its their attempt at an LED type display, just on screen and it flashes a dozen different post codes when it boots)

I cant even get a confirmation on whether or not he reset the BIOS.

I can tell you this for a fact, I've booted that board hundreds of time, and the same codes FLASH every time, with the last being 99 (initializing input devices, if thats what Johan has come up with, I came up with something else)

Look calm down scooter.. I wasn't trying to put your butt out there for sale of the DOA MB .. I was trying to keep this low key and find out if I was doing something wrong or stupid and made a simply mistake .. I was hoping someone could help me and you guys have with the MB is DOA and will be sent back for replacement.. I understanding the Board was sent out in working but I received it DOA and I didn't come at you for a refund or any kind of money cause I have to now send the MB out for warranty and cause all kinds of hell for this trouble.. No I came looking for help without spreading negativeness for the sale and I paid for the RMA and so I can have a working setup and go about my merry way..

Oh I think...

...think everybody is going to be okay. When I searched that 99 code it was said by those using those boards that 99 would come up and then the board would start to semi-reboot and go thru another list of readouts and then boot. It was said this happened because of the bios n0t being an original UEFI. Don't know. But then the users responding about boot stop at 99 said they had used the board a while and suddenly it began to stop at the 99 and they either RMA'd or bought something else and I never did get to see anyone come back and say "heck yeah got board back from RMA and all is good again". Not one of the many threads I looked in. I got to believe there were RMAs and good to go again...but the sum beeatches in threads I was looking thru did not do that considerate thing. Shett shett.

This time we should know how T_R fares after his RMA comes back. I hate it when the result is so up in the air without answer. Oh well.

RGone...

Well The Good News Is That It's Still Under Warranty And MSI bases warranties off of serial numbers. I'd still be leary of plugging in that 8320 personally. If MSI sends you a NIB replacement I know exactly what I'd do with it. Either way I'm sure this will all work out in the end.

For motherboards...

...motherboards I will never have nor touch, i like to find the long threads that cover months of users posting, not just NewEgg reviews alone since it is hard to tell the skills of the negative posters.

I was 'searching' MSI 970 Gaming and found a thread over at T's Hardstuff and had link to this one here. Read the whole thing to get used to skills of those posting. At the end, I guess I would agree with Blaylock in his post above on what to do with the return from RMA board if it is new from RMA and not repaired.

SUPERKAMES starts the thread with an MSI 970 Gaming board from VietNam distributor because they were having trouble with 8 core FX cpus thru the distributor.
See SUPERKAMES post #34 on August 22, 2014.
Page #1 Post #1 is August 12, 2014. Begining.
Page #18 Post #178 is March 20, 2015. Current.
So they are still posting to the thread. Pretty good read. Some off-track but otherwise I enjoyed reading all 18 pages.

Update thoughts...

I have looking into buying a mb for about the same price but they have so many other problem that I am just trading one fire to another with mb issues .. Right now I just don't have the money to keep putting out .. So I deciding to keep using my board but change things up.. I am looking for horizontal cooler to help direct airflow onto the mb to cool the chips but I am not sure if they make them anymore for the am+ socket?? The last one I remember was the cp-120 cooler.. Any thoughts or options ???

Last edited:
I doubt any C-Type or "Blow-down"...

...cooler can compete with good Tower type air coolers.

Noctua NH-C14 blows down.

Noctua NH-L12 blows down but is said for HTPC so hardly for overclocked FX processor. It would seem anyway.

Phanteks PH-TC14CS, a single tower C-Type blows down.

Grand Kama Cross 2 by Scythe blows downward.

However none of those coolers is considered 'cheap'. Most testing seems to show that C-type cpu coolers are not as effecient at removing heat as Tower coolers are in so doing.

Most of us cool the VRMs because we are heavily overclocking 8 core FX processors and do so on big water. That is why we add fans by many conceivable manners of attachment to the heat sinks that are there over the mosfets. We attach fans of various types to the rear of the mobo and many of us even go so far as to modify cases to get fan air flow to the rear of the motherboard. I guess that is because we are serious about our overclock and wish to also preserve parts and pieces. I know that is why I make additional air flow arrangements to these AM3+ motherboards with the HEAT monster FX processor in the socket. YMMV.

At any rate there are at least three of what should be better even if not up to tower cooler, cooling results. I say three because the Noctua NH-L12 seems way under powered for an FX processor.

RGone...

Back