• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

get me folding with my 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
yea, it's kind of rare for me to buy up to date stuff for home use, but I had to.
the 970 will be quite busy computing a rather large cfd sim for a retail card so I have time to research.
from reading on the net some, it looks like the maxwell is hobbled folding in windblows and performs rather well in linux, is this a fact?
will you hand hold me as I drink my everclear and run around like my left foot is nailed to the floor and my right foot runs the hundred meter in 10 seconds, that's how I do EVERYTHING?

can it fold 24/7, no, the friggen thing has to earn a living
is it a quality card? I think so, evga gtx970 ,I can't find the stupid box, but it's a quality one.
do I need help? yes, and plenty of it.
what kind of rig will it be in? asrock extreme 9, 4790K, 16 gigs of 2400 trident ram, psu 1600 watt evga.
it sucks to have to type this, but i have to use windblows most of the time, but I have no issues with loading a linux on another drive to dual boot.
do I know a lot about linux? just enough to order beer in mexico or get thrown in jail in france, or beaten up in russia.
thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I don't know how to fold GPUs in Linux, but the GTX 970 cards are solid. I too have a spare PC with a dual core CPU and two slots for graphics cards. I just don't have the $700 to buy two cards lol. Maybe I'll just start out with one and upgrade later. ;) Installing Linux is easy-peasy. Almost plug and play if you use Ubuntu or Mint Linux. There's got to be some decent tutorials on Linux GPU folding setup on the web.

I do know enough to install, use and do the basics in linux, i use puppy and ubuntu now.
for your two empty slots, used 280x cards are very cheap right now and very good folders, i have 2 of those, two 290's, a 7850 on the ati side and 2 770's, 4 760's and this 970 here at home.

and I forgot about my 2 7970's.

The main cost consideration is going to be the power efficiency rather than the cost of the card.

How come you're not already kickin' my butt with your 7970s? I've only got two 7870s.

here at the house the little bee lmits me to only one rig so it has to work, bench and play all in one box and it has to fit in my podium.

I have one crosshair 5 in storage and one more on the way back to me.
I think I might be able to build a wall mounted "HYDRA" like torins.
I have my 7850 sitting on my roll around table in a board, powersupply, ssd all out in the open, folding, the 7850 is so quiet and the board is turned so the gpu fans face the wall, my little bee has no clue it is even running.
she has no idea on earth what the inside of a computer looks like or that is a computer she is dusting!!!!!!!!!
I use a zalman rezavator v2 so there is not even a cpu cooling fan to be seen.

I'm looking at a new 970 at newegg. $339. Looks like it's built like a tank and would do very well running full bore 24/7.

Gotta fix my pickup truck first :(

Speaking as a folder relatively new to Nvidia high-end, I can indeed confirm 970+Ubuntu=love. Also, Nvidia really uses the PCI Express bus, as apposed to 280X, so I will warn anyone getting new a new mobo for 970; watch the PCI capabilities.

Well hopefully you get the linux/970 magic happening! I'm eagerly awaiting you in the 10mil bracket :D (I'm almost there lol)

subpar you just keep moving along, as soon as i get my plate cleared a little as spring ends and we can get in support mode for a few months I'll be catching back up.
right now I have copied mu puppy linux on a flash drive to another flash drive and am trying to get the thing going.
I have the client and control packages installed, I'm just having a time remembering how to start it from the command line.

I dabbled in linux in tech school, but nothing for 10 years or so, jeez that's along time :eek:
I need to keep up the points, once you turn it up to 11, I'll be scared lol

from reading on the net some, it looks like the maxwell is hobbled folding in windblows and performs rather well in linux, is this a fact?

can it fold 24/7, .... is it a quality card?

My EVGA GTX 970 (04G-P4-2978-KR) FTW has been folding 24/7 for about 4 weeks now. PPD ranges from about 325,000 to 335,000 (OC 1503MHz).

When I was running it with Windows 7, it often received Core 15 WUs which returned 70,000PPD. When it got Core 17 WUs it returned about 275,000PPD. I was spending about 2/3 to 3/4 the time getting Core 15, so my GTX 970 under Windows 7 was producing about 130,000PPD or less.

So, YES, GTX 970 is severely hobbled under windows 7!
Changing to Ubuntu has increase my daily PPD by about 200,000PPD.

Wow, 325K? NICE!
Of course, I have no overclock atm, and I am running 3 cards per rig. I was just so happy to see ~275 up until now :). Guess I need to get another Ubuntu rig going so i can spread the 970s out a little.

@Farwalker2u

With a CC of 1216 MHz & BC of 1367 MHz, you have a nice factory OC out of the box. How stable is it 24/7?

It is amazingly stable. It has not had a glitch the whole time I've been running it. Now I jinxed it !! !! :eek:

Indication 336K PPD on a 9411 WU right now.

Back