• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling an ASUS Ares III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, while ordering, I ran into a bit of a snag. The Monsoon Series Two I found was at FrozenCPU, I started trying to buy it, and I couldn't figure out how to move the checkout along. It starts to get funny how much they didn't want my money, then I started reading about them. Lots of bad reviews, even here on this forum. So, while they had the exact pump I wanted, I don't think it'll be worth calling them and figuring this out.

That said, Performance PCS has this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-...-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html#Details

but I need to buy a pump from them. I found the same pump as from frozencpu:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Swiftech+MCP655-PWM

My question is, when not buying the pump and res in a bundle, are their other parts I need to buy?

Last edited:
OK, while ordering, I ran into a bit of a snag. The Monsoon Series Two I found was at FrozenCPU, I started trying to buy it, and I couldn't figure out how to move the checkout along. It starts to get funny how much they didn't want my money, then I started reading about them. Lots of bad reviews, even here on this forum. So, while they had the exact pump I wanted, I don't think it'll be worth calling them and figuring this out.

That said, Performance PCS has this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-...-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html#Details

but I need to buy a pump from them. I found the same pump as from frozencpu:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Swiftech+MCP655-PWM

My question is, when not buying the pump and res in a bundle, are their other parts I need to buy?

FrozenCPU has been quite dead for a month by now ;) They are trying to get things started again, but for now they won't accept any orders. There are still people who ordered there just when things got bad, and they are probably still waiting for their items/money to get refunded. FCPU has a very small announcement on their home page saying they're not accepting orders for the time being. I guess Ppcs is your only option atm.

Looks like the pump you've linked is just the motor bit. You might be better off with a pump like EK's D5: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-xtop-d5-vario-acetal-incl-pump.html

Asper

Make sure you include an O ring between the res housing and the D5 pump. Most kits include it and on most D5 pumps the ring is in between the pump housing and the motor. If you are buying a bare pump make sure to order the O ring.

From what I read Frozen CPU is not running. I've order twice from Performance PC and been very pleased. Fast, well packed good service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, FCPU isn't up and running atm.

Also, that reservoir is for DDC pumps and not for the D5 pump you chose. If you're still sticking with the red reservoir, this is the res you want to get for your D5 pump and yes, if you buy the bare D5 pump, make sure a O-ring comes with it or buy one since the reservoir doesn't come with one from my understanding.

Well, as it happens, I ordered the red ddc reservoir with the d5 pump. As soon as I read your post Jack I called and emailed them, thankfully the orders hadn't been shipped. Duke from Performance PCs fixed my mistake, so I have a blue d5 res coming, and threw in an o ring for free just to make sure since I was concerned.

They've made a customer for life

Well, as it happens, I ordered the red ddc reservoir with the d5 pump. As soon as I read your post Jack I called and emailed them, thankfully the orders hadn't been shipped. Duke from Performance PCs fixed my mistake, so I have a blue d5 res coming, and threw in an o ring for free just to make sure since I was concerned.

They've made a customer for life

Glad you caught it in time. :salute: Just remember, D5s are round and DDCs are square. :D

So I have the parts together, I've rinsed out the radiator, res, and hoses. I've put on the fittings. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to rinse out the video card, I think I'll error on the side of caution and do it.

The pump came sandwiched in a plexiglass shaped block, I disassembled it, dropped the ø-ring in the res housing, put the pump on top, and screwed the housing back on. It's snug, hopefully that was what I was supposed to do.

I can see how everything is going to fit, though I'm not totally certain how I'm going to fasten the rad and fans. I have the long screws that came with the rad, I'm sure I'll figure it out once I have everything in place.

With luck I'll have pics of it leak testing tonight!

Just make sure you don't damage the fins or water chambers of the rad with the screws.

Will be waiting to see your finished results. :salute:

Ok, so once I got things out and cleaned, I realized I over estimated the depth of the reservoir and as a result purchased two wrong fittings. Amazingly enough, here in Houston we have a retail store that stocks a small amount of watercooling supply on the shelf.

I got my fittings and started running hose... It's more difficult than I had imagined. I have a short vertical run between the card and radiator that's been hard to get the hoses on, then I have a fitting I'm having trouble screwing closed.

Is there a trick with the fittings? Do I press the hose all the way to the threads, then close it, or do I push it on a little less? I was hoping to get the thing leak testing over night, but my finger tips hurt too much to keep at it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ok, so once I got things out and cleaned, I realized I over estimated the depth of the reservoir and as a result purchased two wrong fittings. Amazingly enough, here in Houston we have a retail store that stocks a small amount of watercooling supply on the shelf.

I got my fittings and started running hose... It's more difficult than I had imagined. I have a short vertical run between the card and radiator that's been hard to get the hoses on, then I have a fitting I'm having trouble screwing closed.

Is there a trick with the fittings? Do I press the hose all the way to the threads, then close it, or do I push it on a little less? I was hoping to get the thing leak testing over night, but my finger tips hurt too much to keep at it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

With compression fittings you want to have the tube fitted all the way and evenly. Fitting tube can be quite a workout especially when doing short straight runs. What I find a useful trick is to apply slight counter twist to the tube and placing it slightly sideways on the fitting so that half of the tube is in and then twisting and pushing it in place. Once you have the tube on the fitting you can grab the tube further away from the fitting and push it all the way down. This will make the tube slightly convex in front of the fitting and allow bit less friction resitance when pushing the tube inplace.

What I usually do is grab the tubing I'm about to use in the loop and grab a couple of extra fittings of the same size and let them fit and sit for a few minutes so the tubing stretches a bit before I install them on the loop's fittings so I won't wreck anything in the process, whether it'd be putting too much stress on the fitting's o-rings and or the threads.

Back