• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weirdest PC performance issue ever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firefiy

Hello,

I am a beggining system administrator, about to get my sys. admin bachlor's degree this year, and already worked in a few companies as an IT support. So I'm pretty much aware of what to check, and what to do in such dire situations but right now I'm completely clueless. My computer is laggings like crayz right now. Some notes:

CPU Usage is %20
Core temp is 40C (30 C at Idle)
RAM (8 Gb) is only half full. (Svhost taken like 1.2 Gb and 12% of CPU)
CPU is a bit overclocked, 3.5 Ghz, 3.7 Ghz in Turbo. (3.4 Default, dont ask)

HDD is in perfect conding according to CrsyalDiskInfo.

After doing sfc /scannow, I get this
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Aleksei>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Some pictures
Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.15 AM 003.PNG Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.15 AM 002.PNG Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.15 AM 001.PNG Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.15 AM.PNG Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.14 AM.PNG Screen Shot 03-19-15 at 12.13 AM.PNG

Computer rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
CPU: AMD FX 8320
RAM: HyperX Blu 4 Gb x2 (8 Gb)
HDD: Seagate 0.5 TB
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 960 100 ME
PSU: Corsair CX500M
Case: Bitfenix Shinobi
Cooling: CM Evo 212

Help please!!

PS.
How it lags?
Keyboard cant keep up with me, some sounds may freeze also ****tering.

PSU and GPU are completely new. Others are 1-1.5 year old.

Are you using Firefox by any chance? It has a memory leak issue that causes my very potent PC to get the lags ever so often. If I close FF then the lag is gone.

Get some baseline logs/screenshots after a fresh boot.

Possibly a Chrome/website issue, close tabs one at a time to check for any difference.

Switch your TaskMan view to one graph for all CPUs and enable viewing of Kernel times, This will add a red line below the main CPU %; kernel activity should be minimal most of the time, excepting for spikes on opening/closing programs; more than ~5% constant kernel % = lag for more sensitive users, >8% = lag for most users. Kernel activity is at a higher priority than User mode software, your software/input has to queue for CPU time.

I'm expecting thermal protection is kicking in because of the inadequate VRM section on the motherboard.

Apperantly it was the windows update running the background that was causing HORRIBLE lag. Now its back to perfect again.

Ooof... 4 phase power that isn't heatsinked running an octo core... Glad its back to perfect! Make sure that your PC isn't throttling under load with the weak motherboard.

Ooof... 4 phase power that isn't heatsinked running an octo core... Glad its back to perfect! Make sure that your PC isn't throttling under load with the weak motherboard.

So what you're saying is that motherboard in my rig is the bottleneck?

Without even the slightest doubt.

Ah, well I knew that 4+1 VRAM is weak, especially if I go OC. I even had troubles overclocking my Phenom II X4 965 BE, couldn't overclock it all xD. If I ever get a new motherboard then I think I should go for an Intel processor as well.

Back