• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My EPIC idea for a custom made case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hman123467

Hi everyone I am new to oc forums so I don't know a hell of a lot about oc but I know a lot about computers (doesn't everyone on this forum?)

Anyway, here is my idea,
So it is like a normal, casual case but with one huge difference, it has a kind of long triangle at the bottom that draws air in through the bottom of the case. Also, to stop dust entering the case, there are several air filters at the bottom. Then there are 2-3 fans at the top that pull the air through the stretched out pyramid at the bottom (what is the name of that shape?!) and the hit air is then expelled through the top of the case. And alternatively, I could have a tunnel at the top which lets the air flow from the top fans go through to the back.
So do YOU think it is a good of case or a good doorstop?
Cheers,
hman out

Welcome to the Forums hman!

To answer your question, there are a multitude of cases available with filtered bottom intakes and top exhausts. However conventional case airflow is front to back and bottom to top. I'm not a fluid engineer, but I would think that a single direction "wind tunnel" with obstructions in the middle (read GPU, CPU Cooler, etc...) would create dead spots in the flow. I don't know this for a fact and it would require some testing. I have seen posts of people in other forums who have created this same concept but in a left to right horizontal layout using a house box fan and cardboard boxes duct taped together, though no results were posted.

I'm not sure what the triangle shape you're refering to would help airflow. Keep in mind fans are circular. I have thought about the Dyson style bladeless fans, but it seems they lack any significant static pressure.

image.jpg image.jpg
The shape I was talking about was a triangular prism. The air filters are on the side so air is drawn in from the sides, not the bottom sorry. And the PSU is up the top so there are no need for 3 fans, only 2. The HDD sits flat against the airflow but is still held out in the airflow by 4 poles. So is the mobo so air also goes under the mobo. Sorry I'm also a crap drawer

Cheers,
hman out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 106
Adequate airflow is all you really need. The very best you could accomplish is a few degrees above ambient. Most cases these days can provide that. I'm not sure this would help with anything.

there are a few issuses with getting the airflow right in this case,
you are asking the air to turn 90 degrees in about 2 1/2-3 inches at intake, air is not going to like doing that, it has a sore back, so the intakes would have to be forced to do that using a pair of ducts rather than a turning vane.
same at the top, but at the top you could just guide, or ask it nicley to turn with louvers rather than a top duct.

the airflow shadow of the gpu really only comes into play when we remove the stock cooler and opt for water or aftermarket tower coolers, but we cover for this sin by mounting a fan so that it blows into the vrm area.

when we rodeo clowns go insane and bench above 5.0 with big volts we throw every fan we can get at it and pray alot.

Back