• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old Dell E1505 cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

hey guys i got an ancient Dell E1505 laptop. its got a slow T1300 1.66ghz Core Solo cpu, 1GB ram, GMA 950 224mb video. i dont really want to toss the thing cause its used alot but it is slow as hell. i dont mind putting in some cheap used upgrades to make it abit more manageable.

mainly i was wondering if i can swap the T1300 cpu for a T7600 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo cpu. the specs seem to be very similar other than its a dual core, 64x compatible, faster ghz and has a over 3x better Passmark. i dont think this board can support 64bit but was hoping it might support this cpu. i can find them on ebay for like 40 or less bucks. heres a chart compairing the 2
http://www.youcpu.com/en/compare/In...ore-2-Duo-T7600-4M-Cache-2.33-GHz-667-MHz-FSB

ill probably also swap in maybe up to 3gb memory causr 1gb sucks.

im not to worried about video but if theres a cheap option then ill consider it.

i might have an old SSD i can swap in but not sure if its supported either

You can download Speccy from Piriform, the same company that provides CCleaner and Recuva. Run Speccy and post a good screenshot of the system specs; I don't know how hot that E1505 will get with such large increase in CPU speed, but undervolting might allow you to compensate for that.

As for the SSD, garbage collection becomes an issue as files are added, modified or deleted. Windows 7 manages the garbage collection, but XP doesn't, so keep that in mind. Without garbage collection, your SSD could fill up quickly.

You can download Speccy from Piriform, the same company that provides CCleaner and Recuva. Run Speccy and post a good screenshot of the system specs; I don't know how hot that E1505 will get with such large increase in CPU speed, but undervolting might allow you to compensate for that.

As for the SSD, garbage collection becomes an issue as files are added, modified or deleted. Windows 7 manages the garbage collection, but XP doesn't, so keep that in mind. Without garbage collection, your SSD could fill up quickly.
Garbage collection is a firmware function, not OS controlled. TRIM is OS controlled. Even without trim, on XP, I have yet to fill up after 5+ years on the same SSD. Use your SSD for the OS. Store your crap on a spinner.;)

As for the OP's CPU upgrade....
The board officially supports up to a T7200. A T7600 will probably work.

ordered the CPU. the comparison between them showed only 7w difference (27w vs 34w). but I figured if the cpu isbnt working soo hard as it was it shouldn't be too much worse. also ordered a 2x2gb ram. ill just use PAE to make it read all 4gb if it really needs it. going to leave video and hdd stock till I see how this works out

got the CPU changed out. no issues runs good. doesn't use the second core as much but still significantly better and I can actually do alittle multitasking now. the CPU cache only shows 2MB instead of 4MB in the BIOS but o well.

I accidentally ordered 667 memory instead of 533 and it wouldn't POST. even now I ordered new memory that's was mislabeled.

The spec on the E1505 says it only supports a max of 2GB of RAM. Don't expect to get 2x2GB working, but 1x2GB + 1x1GB may work. 3GB of RAM worked fine on my old Compaq notebook with the GM960 chipset, and it was spec'ed to a max of 2x1GB.

DDR2-667 RAM should work, but will downclock if only DDR2-533 speed is supported.

I figured it should downclock but neither module would post. also figured since the cpu is 667 fsb that the memory would also be 667. maybe I need to cancle my 2x2gb order and stick with a 2x1gb

Is it easy to access both RAM slots? If so, try your old RAM (1x512MB I'm guessing) in slot 1 & a 2GB piece in slot 2. If still no POST, you probably want to stick with a 2x1GB kit.

some reason the laptop didn't POST with that pair but it works great with this other 2x2gb 666fsb. its showing the usual only 3062mb. might try and upgrade it to W7 Ultimate 64bit in the future. its still running the original version of XP

I have an old X60T sitting around here that I used to use - it had a core duo (first gen dual core). I found that GMA booster was a big help with making the system feel snappier since it was running windows 7, and the desktop actually utilized the GPU quite a bit. Most notebooks limit the GMA950 to like 133 mhz or something, this program basically allows you to run it at the desktop spec of 400 mhz if memory serves.
http://www.gmabooster.com/download.htm

Didn't really increase heat when I used it, and provided slightly better graphics performance.

Back