• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

let's setup my ubuntu folding box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One of my cards runs 10 degrees hotter because it's above another card. Need an air injector for each card.

I am running my EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-2978-KR) with Ubuntu 14.04.02.
I used the nvidia X server setting application to OC it to 1503MHz under the "PowerMizer" setting.
Preferred mode is set to Maximum Performance.
Under Thermal Setting, I turned on Fan Control and set the fan speed to 55% which keeps my card in the 50C temperature range.
PPD has ranged from 325,000 to 335,000.

my card is topping out at about 1460, I'm not going to turn the fans up, I don't want to hear the thing and my little bee will have a fit if she hears these things.
a few things I discovered that I have made mistakes on, the operating system, unity keeps crashing so I either need to go to another operating system or just install KDE.
motherboard and cpu, I just went over board.

I like V7 of folding, I don't mind 14.04 of ubuntu, I don't mind the dash thingy, I just don't like unity crashing.
I am either going to find another linux or install another frontend on it.
I have two apu's, an A6 6600, two core and an A8 6600 quad core apu.
I'm thinking the A6 on the very low end, A55 gigabyte board board would be fine for the time I am going to be running a single card then migrate to the higher end A88 asrock board when I move to multi card.
the other thing I see coming down the road is that my lanbox is not going to hold enough cooling for three cards, air or water when folding, my larkooler just fits and it will never get the job done.

methinks the 970 is a folding beast, you're on my radar again, and i have a feeling the 6.8 years is going to shrink rather quickly :chair:

Mint is easy to install and a more polished Ubuntu distro. You can also install the Mint Debian Edition if you like a real stable OS. They set it to 'testing' which gives you the latest stable repositories.

subpar, you are in no danger at this point, unity keeps crashing my system.
I have started a thread in another section on this so we will see what comes of that.
I shipped out one of my 290's today so subpar is a little safer, the other gets shipped next week.
audio, for a folding box, being stable is CRUCIAL!!! if I don't like the face that's just tough!!!

this is now going rather well, now can i add a 760 or 770 to the box without detracting from the 970 or killing the gk104 with the maxwell driver or will an ati 280x go?

Attachments

• folding.JPG
    folding.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 138
I'm maxed out at ~150kPPD for both cards so anyone with just one GTX 970 will pass me eventually.

The Kepler cards have ~50% ppd loss with drivers newer than 327.23. Includes the GTX770 and GTX760.

Do not know if you can mix ATI and Nvidia on Linux.

I need to add the GPUs.text file to /var/lib/fahclient, it gives me a dialog that says i don't have permission.
it looks as though I don't own /var/lib/fahclient, how do i take ownership of this file?

I need to add the GPUs.text file to /var/lib/fahclient, it gives me a dialog that says i don't have permission.
it looks as though I don't own /var/lib/fahclient, how do i take ownership of this file?

By default, root access is restricted for security reasons. As usual with Linux, people tell you to do something that is impossible unless you have special knowledge about Linux. They never seem to add that bit that would actually give you access to what you want.

I believe you can gain access by typing cnrl+alt+T and then in the terminal

sudo nautilus

that will allow you to paste the file in /var/lib/fahclient .

Just for interest in U14.04 if you right clik on the icon in the left bar, you can make it a permanent part of the bar by selecting the leave option. That makes sure your important things like nvidia monitor are always a clik away.

Last edited:
I got that file into fahclient, thank you orion, but my control still only gives me a cpu slot and there is no gpu slot, do you know how to make it "see" my gpu and give it a slot?

I got that file into fahclient, thank you orion, but my control still only gives me a cpu slot and there is no gpu slot, do you know how to make it "see" my gpu and give it a slot?

Did you try rebooting?

Also reinstalling fahclient might allow it to see the GPU.

Somewhere I read you had to set GPU=true but I don't remember where that is located, possibly the last menu item in fahclient.

yes, rebooted.
let me dig in the fah client and see if I can find that in a config file.

orion456, you da sledgehammer on this one, you nailed it.
config button/slots, i found gpu set to false, typed in true, rebooted system and it picked up the gpu right off the bat.
I set the client-type advanced and am running my first wu under zorin 9.

Back