• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

let's setup my ubuntu folding box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK!!!!
back in action but this time it's under zorin 9, based on ubuntu 14.04.
it has a much better looking front end than ubuntus unity and i hope it will not be crashing like unity.
we'll see if it keeps up the same ppd.

oh, I forgot to say I changed out everything in the rig.
motherboard, horrid gigabyte F2A55M-DS2
cpu, AMD A6-6600 APU
HDD, some 500 gig I had laying around
GPU, EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB ACX 2.0

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-04-11 16:13:46.png
    Screenshot from 2015-04-11 16:13:46.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
OK!!!!
back in action but this time it's under zorin 9, based on ubuntu 14.04.
it has a much better looking front end than ubuntus unity and i hope it will not be crashing like unity.
we'll see if it keeps up the same ppd.

Why did you decide on Zorin ?

it has a pretty frontend that is not unity that was crashing on me all day and all night.
it is based on ubuntu 14.04, the same ubuntu i was using so all the instructions worked just the same, I could just copy and paste them right out of the thread.
it's a super heavyweight, I have the space for it and even with the little A6 cpu I can use it and fold at the same time.
it has a look changer and I can make it look and act like win xp, vister or win7.
it has lots of blue, one of the three colors I see.
rumor has it that widows might go to a monthly fee or somthing like that, as many of these that I build, rebuild and muck about with, my playtime costs would soar so I might as well learn the deeper parts of linux by using a distro that is ment to be a windows replacment.
things have changed a bit in linux, instead of typing, $ cp gpus.txt /fahclient, now we open a manager and copy it with a gui.

Last edited:
caddi daddi,

If you find that your 970 is stable for at least 24 hours at current settings, try setting your Graphics Clock Offset up to 96.
I have the same EVGA GTX 970 FTW card and it runs at that speed under Ubuntu 14.04.02.

ok, here's what i'm getting with the 770 under linux with driver 304.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-04-12 19:30:08.png
    Screenshot from 2015-04-12 19:30:08.png
    480.9 KB · Views: 160
Dammit, I've been trying since 5 PM to download the FAH client and can't seem to access the site. Is there any other way to get the Client and the monitor?

I'm really getting frustrated here.

I finally was able to get the FAH Client and monitor as well as PSensor installed. Zorin is able to pick up the CPU and started Folding, but nothing on the GPU. The 970 GTX is on that GPU list, and PSensor sees it.

I did the install as per Haye's instructions, and I even tried purging and trying again. I saw that the GPU=false, so I changed that to true, and rebooted, and still FAH does not see the GPU. WTF? Help!

This is the guide you followed? It worked for me with Zorin9

To remove nvidia drivers type or copy and paste this,

>>> sudo apt-get purge nvidia-* <<<<<<<

to install nvidia drivers copy and paste this

for maxwell
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-346

for kepler
sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

to get and install the FAH client copy and paste these into your browser

>>>>> https://fah.stanford.edu/file-relea...-testing-64bit/v7.4/fahclient_7.4.4_amd64.deb <<<<<<<

it will open software manager and you will install it from there.

Get and install the FAH control

>>>>> https://fah.stanford.edu/file-relea...testing-64bit/v7.4/fahcontrol_7.4.4-1_all.deb <<<<<

finding and adding FAH control to the tool bar.

top button on the toolbar at left side of screen, search computer
bottom bar, 2nd button, "A" for applications
click on "installed" to see all results
scroll down to find the FAHControl icon
drag it to the toolbar at left side of screen to have quick access to it

and some more help

under the applications, there is a green icon for "NVIDIA-Xserver-settings" which will give useful info on the GPU and driver.

The screen shot shows "medium" power, should change to "full" power and ensure your passkey is entered.

One more Linux tip, an easy way to view/modify files in the system folders (such as the fahclient or gpus.txt file) is to run the file manager from terminal:
sudo nautilus

adding a hardware monitor, psensor

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jfi/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install psensor

You did check the gpus.txt file as well?

The GPUs.txt on my Linux box has nothing in it, but will not allow me to make changes to it.

I finally added the GPUs.txt file with all the GPUs listed in it. I rebooted, and sytill get the same message. I'll try purging and reinstalling the driver.

Last edited:
let the bodys hit the floor!!!!

and post the screen shot!!!!!
let's see the 300,000 ppd in all it's glory.......

Last edited:
There have been some issues past week or two with zero byte gpu.txt file being downloaded on new installations and auto updates. I have had 3 or 4 systems with the issue, running fine until rebooting. Lost the work in progress the first time trying to add/remove the gpu slots and the driver stuff, before discovering the zero byte gpu.txt file.

Suggest everyone make a backup copy of a recent, working, gpu.txt file. You can replace the bad file, typically located at /var/lib/fahclient, by running nautilus in a terminal with sudo. Open a terminal, type "sudo nautilus", delete the bad file, copy in the good file.

That's exactly what happened with me. I didn't know that the GPUs.txt file was supposed to be pre-populated and I finally was able to use nautilus to let me add the new GPUs.txt file. I then purged the Nvidia driver, then reinstalled, with reboots along the wau\y.

It finally recognized the GTX970 and is now Folding nicely. I think I would have thrown this new Rig out my new 2nd story window without HayesK as well as all the other posters here helping out.

I just started a new job in a new ER as a RN. This hospital serves a predominantly elderly population and so I see a LOT of dementia and AD patients. I am reminded again how horrible this disease is and why I Fold.

Now I can go off to work the night shift knowing my new rig is purring along. :D

Screenshot from 2015-08-17 17:22:06.png
There have been some issues past week or two with zero byte gpu.txt file being downloaded on new installations and auto updates. I have had 3 or 4 systems with the issue, running fine until rebooting. Lost the work in progress the first time trying to add/remove the gpu slots and the driver stuff, before discovering the zero byte gpu.txt file.

Suggest everyone make a backup copy of a recent, working, gpu.txt file. You can replace the bad file, typically located at /var/lib/fahclient, by running nautilus in a terminal with sudo. Open a terminal, type "sudo nautilus", delete the bad file, copy in the good file.

UH, OH!!! chuck, you forgot to get the x server to clock the card and set the fans to 45% or so.

Back