• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

let's setup my ubuntu folding box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here's the gpu.txt file if anybody needs it.

Attachments

• GPUs.txt
    78.9 KB · Views: 427
find where hayesK talks about coolbits in this thread, he walks you right through install and settings.

hey guys where can i find the GPUs.txt file on linux? I ran a few google searches cant seem to find it? also used "catfish" to search for F@H, Folding@home and nothing on the system?

orion, try a simple reboot, it just might magic it into place.

orion, try a simple reboot, it just might magic it into place.

He means that when he tries to download it from Stanford, it is asking for a password. Happens to me too now.

Orion, I think it is the same file as you see at c:\users\$user\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\GPUs.txt on a Windows machine.

I have had it produce one just on a reboot, but when I get home I'll try to post one up.

it's posted in post# 81.
but, it downloads when the client starts, so if you have it set to start as a service and your tcp and whatever interwebs stuff has not started it can't go out and download it so you need to restart the client in the os while connected to the interwebs, even the processes that show up in task manager.

He means that when he tries to download it from Stanford, it is asking for a password. Happens to me too now.

Orion, I think it is the same file as you see at c:\users\$user\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\GPUs.txt on a Windows machine.

I don't have a windows version to get it from unfortunately.

I have another problem, when I try to install fahclient in linux it freeze about 90% done and the window turns black and nothing happens after that. I can't close the window or do anything but reboot to get rid of the window. Upon reboot, fahclient starts but finds nothing to do including initializing the cpu. Ideas? I wonder if gpu.txt can't be downloaded and its freezing waiting for that to happen?

Ok, I manually added gpu.txt because that file was missing. They need to update their link.

find where hayesK talks about coolbits in this thread, he walks you right through install and settings.

To install coolbits for the gtx970 in Ubuntu 14.04 all you have to do is save a file name xorg.conf in the folder /etc/X11/xorg.conf and simply copy the following into the file and save it. The files doesn't need to contain anything else. Then reboot.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX 970"
Option "Coolbits" "28"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
EndSection
<--- make sure there is a blank line at the end of the section.

In a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) type

sudo nautilus

navigate to "computer" and then the folder /etc/X11 <-- where X is a capital X

use gedit to copy the above into the file and save it as xorg.conf, then reboot

Last edited:
Aaannnnnnd.... I'm still using this thread but for later ubuntu and the GTX 10XX cards!!!!!
handy and dandy!!!!!!
even using it to set up my rendering and workflow rigs!!!!!!

Back