• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8350 vs 8370 any differences that matter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I updated the signature. I will do the prime thing you suggested. But I am not sure if I will overclock right away or not. I have to see what the temps look like with the paste I am buying. I have never used this paste before.

Lots of guys on here have used many thermal compounds and tested the results. To my knowledge there is very little difference in temps with any decent compound.

Paste matters little (couple degrees at best). How it's applied and the mount is much more important.

Thanks for the info on paste I will keep that in mind. I updated my sig with the new info about cooling and rev version.

Paste matters little (couple degrees at best). How it's applied and the mount is much more important.

So true. The only significant difference between quality pastes I have seen is when moving up to metallic solderless TIM products like Liquid Ultra. With LU I see a 4c-5c improvement over the better conventional pastes. But I only use it on the outside of the CPU lid when I am pretty sure I'm going to be leaving that cooler in place a long time. It can be difficult to remove from the contact surfaces after it's been in place for awhile and it should not be used on coolers with an aluminum base. However, if you're already on top end air cooling and you absolutely need to get rid of that 4c-5c but don't want to move to water then it can be just the ticket.

Well I just got the cpu and I fried my hard drives. I am running on a old 80gb probly only 5000 rpm and its slow so no benchmarks yet or overclocking. I am ordering a 2tb Seagate drive on Wednesday for replacement probably do 3 day shipping probably wont get till next Monday.

I was formatting messed up the mba by deleting them and not creating a new one with windows 2000 disc and restarted and they never worked again. I lost my xp disc so I could not repair. I use windows 7 but it does not have the full format function on it. I had to full format to remove a nasty virus I had on the hard drives.

Maybe just maybe...

...I run this from a Usb stick that I boot to and not a CD. I am betting it can see the drives (one at a time) and deal with no partitions to a have partition state.

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

Also there are full erase/nuke the drives in free versions that will remove all crap and you then have to partition and begin again. I "never" let any version of windows from 98 thru now Win 7 format/partition any drive for me. All done with GparteD and then I know what the heck is happening.

RGone...

All right I will look into that I probably still need a new drive though. The 1 tb drive got all the way up 70c. The others were in the the 30s. So I will get another any way.

I Found a use full tool in win 7. Its under Disk management. You can format partition and everything. So I will use that but not use the 1tb drive for my primary drive because of temperatures alone. I will buy a 2tb drive and hope it runes cooler.

Should I get a ssd drive for the same price but smaller 240gb ssd drive vs 2tb disk drive.

I would get an SSD for the operating system. You have a full hearted YES from me any how. Fast as heck, runs cool as heck..... Just a very enjoyable experience if you've never had one before. You won't use spinners any more in fact you'll want nothing but SSDs from there on out. YES. Samsung ftw.

I read online about data loss windows not installing and problems in general. Is any of it true about ssds?

- - - Updated - - -

Put a fan on the hard drive. Works wonders. :D

I have a fan on the drive in front of the case so no problems there.

I was formatting messed up the mba by deleting them and not creating a new one with windows 2000 disc and restarted and they never worked again. I lost my xp disc so I could not repair. I use windows 7 but it does not have the full format function on it. I had to full format to remove a nasty virus I had on the hard drives.

I think you need to wipe the HDDs with dd. Such as in PartedMagic.

Even the full format option in the Windows installer won't solve that problem, all that does is scan the platter and that typically takes a long time on >250 GB HDDs.

I think you need to wipe the HDDs with dd. Such as in PartedMagic.

Even the full format option in the Windows installer won't solve that problem, all that does is scan the platter and that typically takes a long time on >250 GB HDDs.

So far it is saying it is formatting hard drive in Disk management. I will see if it works with it. It wont be primay drive my new one will. Cause of the heat issue when it is a primary drive. Right now its only 37c.

I read online about data loss windows not installing and problems in general. Is any of it true about ssds?

Yes and no. Yes when they where kinda new. Different types of controllers make a difference on speed and wear and tear.

To save you time and research, I'll just suggest something that will be fast, reliable and new technology. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08lIB1Iyqtyzf1-5_erPNBoCAjDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is a Samsung 850. This is what you should look into purchasing.

Now on a sheer level of beatings, I have a few SSDs that I use for benching on only. They've seen many blue screens and very high overclocks. I've even killed a couple of RAM sticks along the way. But the SSDs are sturdy and hearty plus great for load times of any sort. Awesome for benchmarking. And to really harness the read speeds of these SSD drive, you look into RAID 0. Then you nearly double the read speeds. So from 550mbps to 1000mbps, super fast.

Your operating system will be installed faster than ever before. No need to get up, take the few minutes and wait it out. You'll have a usable OS in short time. Maybe 10 minutes or less? Dunno never really timed it. But it's pretty quick. You'll click on images and open tasks and they'll open in a blink.

Dunno how else to put it. But you gotta try it man. It's like the first time at the drag strip or at the firing range. Something you won't soon forget about.

Well on ssd thing I was looking into under $100 range so probably for now get a disk drive till I have the money. One more thing the 1tb drive is now really loud I can hear it from my chair at my computer desk were before I could not.

Last edited:
S_MCC...

...A thought and it all depends on HOW much data you accumulate and need and even use.

one 1tb drive < shett can it. It is on the road to failure is my guess and I would not have it in my system being so IFFY.
1 250gb drive < Probably okay to keep for data storage.
1 300gb drive < Probably okay to keep for data storage.

Okay you have already ordered the 2TB thingie? Right?

Had you not done so and the two drives above would have sufficed for you data storage, I would have certainly made the suggestion to get an SSD. I have just bought 4 new SSDs and none of them were the higher dollar 850 Samsungs. Don't need to be for me. Almost any brand of 3rd or 4th generation SSD will hold up and at the same time make your computering so much quicker to your eye and fingers. You cannot in your mind picture how much faster apps open and stuff just appears on the screen when the O/S is on SSD. We cannot splain that in words to show the real 'new' speed.

You can spend $500.00 on overclocking parts and pieces and not give the same overall effect as just about any late 256GB/$105.00 SSD for you O/S. Once on SSD for O/S you will never go or make that never want to go back to a platter drive for the O/S. Never.

I have two very early Kingston 120GB SSD's in Raid 0 since I "know" they are slower than the newer SSD drives and the Raid 0 effect is to bring those two slower drives into 2015. But my four newer 256GB drives are of two brands and they too will go in Raid 0 as S_B spoke about. I am just a glutton for punishment running Raid 0 on an AMD chipset mobo, but heck it is fun and I image the Raid 0 at least once per week for safety. Hehehe.

Okay ole faht thru with his rambling.

RGone...ster.

I do windows imaging at work - we beat the begebuz out of the SSDs we have. Haven't killed one yet (yea, even the OCZ drives).

Overclocked more than a few windows installs to "death" (data rot lol-holiio). When you're the "OS Imaging guy" blowing your OS to smithereens is pretty trivial - just reimage it in 7minuts and blow it up again ;)

Hardware fails, idiot users - physical damage. They all still work. Somehow.

I wouldn't worry too much about SSD durability with any half-modern drive.

Lastly like others have said, I cannot emphasize enough - GET AN SSD. I'll never buy a HDD for booting anything, ever again. It's ruined me =D

as an aside, SSD's are also AMAZING for making older machines awesome. Putting an SSD on say an Athlon 64 - even single core - makes those machines live again instead of the dumpster. If only DDR2 was cheap also... but i digress.

Back