• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Core X9 build ROG + 5960x Watercooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great! But my comment was in respect to the version of heaven you have. For the competition, you need the version found at hwbot. Thus has nothing to do with Windows. :)

Been about a week, but I just wanted to mention that I own 2 TT Core X9's and cable management is challenging to say the least. I originally just bought one and then found myself running out of space. I just have a CM Nepton 280L with Noctua IP67 2000RPM PWM Fans in push/pull which has been very effective & quiet. Now that I have 2 of these cases, I have been trying to plan a liquid cooling system that will fill them up and look nice. If I run a single loop for only CPU/GPUs then my only option is to add a ton of rads and maybe reservoirs. I don't like the idea of "contaminating" my CPU with GPU heat! I am very skeptical of a single loop being able to fill 2 of these huge cases. Whenever I mention separate loops, everyone wants to crucify me for it. I am a total noob when it comes to liquid cooling...true...but I just want to fill the cases, have ridiculously low temps when overclocking, keep it all quiet and make it all look nice. From here on out though I will choose Caselabs or custom built cases.

Been about a week, but I just wanted to mention that I own 2 TT Core X9's and cable management is challenging to say the least. I originally just bought one and then found myself running out of space. I just have a CM Nepton 280L with Noctua IP67 2000RPM PWM Fans in push/pull which has been very effective & quiet. Now that I have 2 of these cases, I have been trying to plan a liquid cooling system that will fill them up and look nice. If I run a single loop for only CPU/GPUs then my only option is to add a ton of rads and maybe reservoirs. I don't like the idea of "contaminating" my CPU with GPU heat! I am very skeptical of a single loop being able to fill 2 of these huge cases. Whenever I mention separate loops, everyone wants to crucify me for it. I am a total noob when it comes to liquid cooling...true...but I just want to fill the cases, have ridiculously low temps when overclocking, keep it all quiet and make it all look nice. From here on out though I will choose Caselabs or custom built cases.

Dual loops were only useful back when blocks were more inefficient and pumps weren't as strong.
In this day and age, single loop is the way to go. Unless you just enjoy wasting money, or are running quad GPUs, then go for dual loops.

DrewZ, what mb/cpu/gpus are you using?

Been looking at GIGABYTE GA-X99-SOC Champion and Intel Core i7-5930K but I really want Skylake or Skylake-E...which gives me time to collect some parts I guess! I plan everything well in advance though, always been that way.

...also with enough radiator space to disipate the added heat and a large reservoir the single loop will be the better option. Though dual pumps is always a good option when you're able to.

Thanks for the info DrewZ. I've only needed a single loop as I've only ever cooled a single cpu and two gpus.

I had a single D5-655b running a loop of cpu block, 2 gpu blocks RX360 internal rad AND an external MO RA3-420 fine. I just wanted a Dual D5 pump setup so I opted for the XSPC Twin D5 bay/res which uses 2 D5s in series mounted to the rear of the bay res. Great flow since they are in series but truthfully the single D5 was fine for the loop above.

I am thinking at least four Phobya G-Changer V2 480mm...I want a D5 PWM pump or pumps. Considering Alphacool VPP655 PWM. So you're saying just go nuts with the rads and reservoirs on a single loop to fill the 2 cases? I could really use some help with how many of what type of Bitspower compression fittings and/or quick disconnects to get!

I was taught by a poster on another forum, BrightCandle, who had been in custom watercooling quite awhile. a formula that approximates the number of 120 mm rad spaces needed to keep the delta of difference between the ambient temp (outside temp near the exterior of the case) and the water temp (measured using a sensor in the water loop) to 10 degrees Celcius or less using fairly silent fans (@800 rpms). It is TDP of all cpus/gpus in loop divided by 130. The answer equals the number of 120 rad spaces needed.

Let's do a calculation of my system. My cpu TDP is clearly more than 140W at stock as I am OCing my 5960x to 4,4Ghz. I calculated the TDP by using the Extreme PSU calculator Pro software and came up with 252 W at 100% TDP for a 5960X OC'd to 4400 with 1.33 vcore (I set it to 1.315 manually but it reads as high as 1.328). That's MAX TDP. Add to that TDP of 2 R9 290s in CF. The Stock TDP of the R9 290 is 250W per card but OCing them can run each to nearly 350W so I'll be safe and say 700W TDP for both gpus. There is also some heat added to the loop by the D5s but for our purposes let's stick with 252+700 or 952 TDP.

Divide that by 130 and you come up with 7.3 rad spaces of 120mm. I forgot to mention that this calculation assumed a normal thickness rad and push only fans at 800 rpm. Obviously 7.3 rads is rounded up to 8 rad spaces or 2 480s.

This calculation is subject to tons of variables. Martinsliquidlabs had a web page with a lot of technical data and he has his page back up at https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

There is a TON of good advice, and though some of the testing is older and the rads have improved somewhat, his info is really helpful.

I admit to over radding but I might want to add a 3rd 290 to the loop so having the third rad in the loop now doesn't hurt other than the extra cost of the rad and fans.

The debate over push vs push/pull is never ending, great data in the website I mentioned.

4 Phobya G-Changer V2 480 rads will cool a TON of TDP. With 2 Core X9s stacked, 4-480s should be easy to mount.

Last edited:
This calculation is subject to tons of variables. Martinsliquidlabs had a web page with a lot of technical data and he has his page back up at https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

There is a TON of good advice, and though some of the testing is older and the rads have improved somewhat, his info is really helpful.

Thank you for the reading material. I have been trying to answer most of my own questions by reading as much as I can so I don't have to bug anybody on any forum. I never had the money for custom liquid cooling until now. Because I had to wait so many years I am ready to go nuts with it! Anyways the link is very much appreciated.

Back