• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot times slow win 8 &10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
i'm using windows 7 currently which i think is great. I've tried both win 8 and 10. Win 8 is the reason I am still on win 7. and it looks like Microsoft got it right with win 10. will probably consider upgrading when it's officially released.

however, i am getting very slow boot times with both windows 8 and 10. much slower than my windows 7. From what I read windows 8 and 10 are supposed to cut boot times in half. My win 7 boots up in like 30 seconds. win 8 and 10 take about 80 - 90 seconds. i cant figure out why. these were both clean installs with no additional programs installed.

i did have them all on one machine in tri-boot config. not sure if that somehow added to the boot times. also, my win 7 is on an SSD and i installed 8 &10 on partitions on my HDD. i made sure that hybrid shutdown was enabled. but actually getting same boot times whether that is enabled or not.

what are others seeing for boot times?

Is the boot drive the first drive in the BIOS/UEFI Boot sequence. If its looking at USB or Optical that will slow you boot down. I get to the password in Win 10 in about 5 sec.

Without a doubt the problem is that your Windows 7 install is on the SSD and the others aren't. Also, Windows 8 and beyond offer better performance and lower resource usage than 7.. if by "MS got it right with Windows 10" you mean "They gave me back the start bar!" then yeah, I guess you're right. Otherwise, MS got it right with 8 (and even moreso with 8.1). If you already own Windows 8.1, upgrade the Win7 install on your SSD to 8 and don't look back. I'd still keep 10 as a dual boot option because it's not supported in any official capacity yet, and wouldn't risk it as my primary OS unless I had a religious backup schedule.

ok. not sure why i thought it would be faster on the HDD. I guess I thought MS's new boot process would make even HDDs as fast as SSDs ;)

Without a doubt the problem is that your Windows 7 install is on the SSD and the others aren't. Also, Windows 8 and beyond offer better performance and lower resource usage than 7.. if by "MS got it right with Windows 10" you mean "They gave me back the start bar!" then yeah, I guess you're right. Otherwise, MS got it right with 8 (and even moreso with 8.1). If you already own Windows 8.1, upgrade the Win7 install on your SSD to 8 and don't look back. I'd still keep 10 as a dual boot option because it's not supported in any official capacity yet, and wouldn't risk it as my primary OS unless I had a religious backup schedule.

yea i meant doing away with the metro ui and giving back the start menu. i know about classic shell and used it with win 8.1. The only reason i didnt switch to it as my primary OS was this boot issue. But i will try to install it on the SSD and see what happens

what are the thoughts about the hybrid shutdown and how it makes boot times faster. i never use hibernate and usually turn it off so I don't get that large hiberfil.sys file. are boot times really that bad if hibernate is off?

It doesn't really effect boot times, but It's a big file that takes up precious space on your SSD. If you have an SSD, you don't need hibernation, because booting only takes 15-20 seconds.

just an update. i re-installed win 8.1 on a second SSD and it is much faster than my previous install. Like 10 seconds to desktop. not bad.

Yes. It's pretty incredible how people spend all this money on computer parts, and yet still insist on running Windows off of mechanical drives when Windows can fit on cheap 60GB SSDs... and make their computers faster in a way they can really feel every day... Glad it worked out like it should for you.

Back