• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, almost fried my CPU using MSI recommended settings!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilJagan

My build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RCT9P6

I have been liking my build so far, but I bought the 4690k and hyper 212 EVO to overclock. I first used MSI's OC button genie, and got max temps of over 90 degrees. I almost fried my whole system using the automatic settings from the MB manufacturer!
Here are my tempuraters @3.6 GHz only 100Mhz overclock!
[13]
Edit: ^ it averaged around 60
Edit: Some users posts on here are really low with the same cpu and cooler, do I have defective parts?

Something isn't adding up, I only have a few chrome tabs up and I'm idling at 60 degrees. I accidentally loaded a profile for 4.2 GHz and it was so unstable I couldn't even manually restart through the start menu; had to use the reset button on my tower.
Here is a picture of my mounted 212 EVO and my rear exhaust fan. (I can't put the fan on the other side because of clearance issues.)

[14]

I really hope there isn't a problem because I will be really sad that I could have gotten a cheaper motherboard, CPU, and omit the cooler all together if the OC was going to be this bad. I was aiming for at least 4.2 GHz.
Maybe I am over reacting since this is my first build, but 90 degrees at 4.0 is insane.
Edit: I also left the voltages on Auto, if that helps, I have no idea what to set them at so I did not touch them. Thank you in advance for the help.

HS fan is blowing in the wrong direction.
You should still be able to put a fan on the other side of you HS. Just slide it up a little so it doesn't hit your ram.

You should still be able to put a fan on the other side of you HS. Just slide it up a little so it doesn't hit your ram.

+1

It does appear as though you installed the fan on your heatsink backwards, so it is just blowing hot air into your heatsink and recirculating hot air around in your case/chassis.

Last edited:
Those temps seem out of line with just the fan being backwards, the ambient shouldn't be that high at idle. Check to see that the 212 is fully tight...Crank that sucker down. My 212+ is on a different cpu but the fan barely has to turn to keep 30C at idle.

I just did a clean reinstall. I found out that the version of prime 95 is certain death for my CPU. Hasn't even touched 80 with the new version.

I put the fan on the other side because I assumed it was probably recirculating hot air with my rear fan(which was pointed out in this post), but it didn't look right raised, so I put it back. glad to know it is ok if it is raised. So I am going to adjust my cpu fan(because it is running at max at all times) and will be back with the fan on the proper side to report my results.

Thank you based Overclockers.com members. Your boy is running a clean 4.0* Ghz overclock!

That version of prime 95 past 26.6 really messes with haswell CPUs. Computer is now running silent and stable! Next week I will see if I can get this bad boy to 4.5 Ghz :D

Last edited:
I recently used Prime95 27.9 on a 4790k oveclocked to 4.6-4.7 with a Noctua D14 air cooler and did not see temps out of line with what I would expect. I was getting maybe 90-91c usingh 1.265-1.275 vcore before delidding and applying Liquid Ultra under the lid. But it is the newest version (28.5) that is causing concern in the oveclocking community. An i5 Haswell should not be making a terrible amount of heat as it does not use hyper threading technology like the i7 does. Check your cooler mount and TIM application again. When your remove the cooler, remove it carefully and check the TIM contact pattern on the lid of the CPU. It may reveal poor coverage. Remove the old stuff with a paper coffee filter (doesn't leave lint) and do final cleaning with a filter moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Then squeeze a small blob of TIM (pea size) onto the center of the CPU lid. Don't try to spread it. Carefully lower the cooler onto the CPU and tighten the tension screws a little at a time in an X pattern.

Also, here is a graphic illustrating proper case airflow. Air should be moving from front down low to rear up high.

Attachments

• Air-flow.png
    Air-flow.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
The CPU will not go above 4.0, terrible overclocker. Got destroyed with the Silicon lottery.

The silicon lottery seems to be less kind these days to a lot of people. Makes me wonder if Intel has pretty much abandoned the overclocking community (now that AMD no longer presents any serious competition) and is turning out a lot of inferior unlocked chips. Now they are free to pursue their highest priority: energy efficiency.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but anything over 4.0, boots fine but as soon as I open up cpuz right clicking the taskbar slows everything down, typing is slowed down, and I am unable to restart, maybe a voltage issue, but I doubt it. Even oc genie goes straight to 4.0. I'm aiming for 4.2 but at least I hit my bare minimum 4.0

I can't imagine any chip would have issues getting to 4.2ghz. What voltage is it running and what are your temps when running 4.0 and then again at 4.2?

I can't imagine any chip would have issues getting to 4.2ghz. What voltage is it running and what are your temps when running 4.0 and then again at 4.2?

Apparantly my voltages were being reset, no wonder. Anyway at 4.2 ghz temps are barely starting to hit 70 degrees at full load. I'm going to try and push it to 4.3, but no farther then that. I don't want to overvolt my card. 1.190 Volts right now.

Card?

1.19v is nothing. You could run 1.35v for the rest of its useful life So long as temps are kept in check (under 90c)

Apparantly my voltages were being reset, no wonder. Anyway at 4.2 ghz temps are barely starting to hit 70 degrees at full load. I'm going to try and push it to 4.3, but no farther then that. I don't want to overvolt my card. 1.190 Volts right now.

You are going to "TRY!" to push it to 4.3? Damn this thread is making me laugh. So much wrong info. I don't know where you have been reading stuff EvilJagan, but you should get a reliable source.

NO! You did NOT almost fry your system using MSI OC. 90*c is NO problem. It will NOT destroy your CPU with 90*c. Even if you reach 100*c it will not be the end of the world. Your CPU will simply underclock itselfe so it do not create more heat. Sure, its not the best config for 24/7 use. But a little benchmark will not make any difference, or degrade it.

1.19v is nothing to talk about. For everyday use there is no problem to use up to 1.325v. Although sufficient cooling is needed! So keep it at 1.3 or less and your everyday full load over time temp at 75-80*c and you are good to go.

You say the chip is a bad overclocker? I guess you can get it to 4.6-4.7ghz without any bigger problem and a maximum of 1.325. Make sure your cooler is mounted right, and do NOT use to much thermal paste. Just a tiny bit is enough.

You are going to "TRY!" to push it to 4.3? Damn this thread is making me laugh. So much wrong info. I don't know where you have been reading stuff EvilJagan, but you should get a reliable source.

NO! You did NOT almost fry your system using MSI OC. 90*c is NO problem. It will NOT destroy your CPU with 90*c. Even if you reach 100*c it will not be the end of the world. Your CPU will simply underclock itselfe so it do not create more heat. Sure, its not the best config for 24/7 use. But a little benchmark will not make any difference, or degrade it.

1.19v is nothing to talk about. For everyday use there is no problem to use up to 1.325v. Although sufficient cooling is needed! So keep it at 1.3 or less and your everyday full load over time temp at 75-80*c and you are good to go.

You say the chip is a bad overclocker? I guess you can get it to 4.6-4.7ghz without any bigger problem and a maximum of 1.325. Make sure your cooler is mounted right, and do NOT use to much thermal paste. Just a tiny bit is enough.

I'm an idiot....

after 12 hours of prime 95 at 4.3 Ghz temps are really good. I may be able to push it beyond 4.5 at this rate. My voltages are way under the max for normal use like you said.

Well, that is just fantastic then ;) Good luck, and have fun overclocking. It's understandable that you can get a little frustrated with all the things you read. And it is alot of wrong info out there sadly :/

Jagan, I believe most chips should do ~4.5GHz at 1.3V.
Did you try pushing further than 4.3?

Jagan, I believe most chips should do ~4.5GHz at 1.3V.
Did you try pushing further than 4.3?

No, I don't want the temps getting into the 80s under max load. When I throw in some more case fans I'll see how much it helps.

Back