• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU won't clock up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roguebantha

Registered
Hey fellow OC'ers,

I am currently running a Geforce GTX 850M in my laptop, which all worked fine, but on updating to the latest drivers and using Precision X, I have recently run into an issue. While at first, everything worked dandily, I noticed gaming performance slowly starting to suffer more and more. After doing some diagnostic work, I found that my GPU which should be boost-clocking to over 1 Ghz will not clock up above idle (135 Mhz). I have tried setting Power Mode in the Geforce Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance", setting everything in the control panel to default, rebooting, rolling back the driver, re-updating the driver, rebooting again, enabling kboost, and anything else I could think of, with no effect. The GPU core clock remains stubbornly at idle. The memory clock appears to clock up as it's supposed to.

On the positive side, my temperature under load is better than its ever been. *sarcasm fully intended*

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
Intel i7-4510U
Geforce GTX 850M
16GB of RAM at 1600 Mhz

I like the temperature joke... lol!

Anyway, roll back the driver. I read there was something funny on the latest.mobile?

EarthDog, I have already tried rolling back the driver to no effect.

I faced the exact same problem with the exact same NVIDIA GPUs and have been tinkering with drivers, setting, reading forums for two nights. but as of now, the problem has some how resolved itself and I am not exactly certain how. The version of the NVIDIA driver I am using it is the exact stock driver that come with system after I completely sweep clean all driver residual using DDU. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

But the problem wasn't resolved right after I installed the driver and I cannot be entirely sure it is because it need a reboot or a complete system shutdown for certain period of time, which I haven't done so for many weeks but doesn't really make sense if that is the a driver issue.

as of now, I am happy that the problem resolved itself and you might want to look into finding out the original NVIDIA driver that come stock standard when you first got your notebook.

here's the thread I have been discussing my problem over at NVIDIA forum. https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-my-nvdia-geforce-gtx-850m/?offset=15#4499964

Good luck.

Yes Snykah, the problem resolved itself for me too. Hopefully it stays far away!!

the best precaution would probably to avoid updating the NVIDIA driver from now, unless absolutely necessitated by a game we wish to play... cheers

Back