• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware Area 51 Case with new goodies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alienwares

Registered
I have always wanted a Alienware computer and i stumbled across this one while i was out of town for cheap about 4 years ago. I played on it for awhile and quickly realized it was just to far out of date. So I started collecting parts to rebuild it. I use it mainly for watching movies on my 60" LED TV and for playing games (combat arms). Important note that I am a newb when it comes to overclocking so any pointers will be much appreciated. From what i have researched though i dont think i will get much more speed out of this CPU. Here is a list of what I ended up with.

AsRock 970 Extreme III mobo
AMD Fx-4100 3.4ghz (zambezi) which is now overclocked to 4.6 and stable using AsRock Extreme tuning utility
1Tb Western Digital HDD
1TB Seagate HDD
Gskill Ripjaw 3x8GB DDR3
Sapphire HD6570 2GB video card (hoping to upgrade this soon)
Lepa Aquachanger 240 liquid cooler (just installed this a couple of days ago and i am thoroughly impressed)
5 other chassis fans

was going to post pics but photobucket appears to be down right now

I used that board for my old 960T build. It held a 4.08GHz overclock for almost a year before I started having stability issues (I don't think they were related to the overclock though). Unfortunately, you probably are maxed with that CPU/Mobo combo, but just in case you should check out the Bulldozer overclocking sticky in the AMD section here.

I love the way those old Alienware cases look. Isn't that from before Dell bought them, or just after?

Before dell bought them. Ive contemplated upgrading my cpu to a 8 core as its the max my mobo can handle but it seems to perform everything I ask it to well. So I think ill just leave it alone. Running at 4.6ghz though I have not seen temps go over 38*c after 3 hrs of intense gaming.

I meant maxed at clockspeed, not as far as upgrading is concerned. If I remember correctly, the 8 core CPUs throttle pretty frequently on that board. I would probably go with a 6 core at most on it.

I would set the overclock in BIOS using the Bulldozer guide, though. Gaming doesn't really stress the CPU enough to know if it's stable or not, and the tuning utilities in Windows are notoriously unreliable.

oh this can't be updated or upgraded, you'll just have to sell me that case!!!! (lol)
I had one years agowhen they first came out, they just look to kool!!!

oh this can't be updated or upgraded, you'll just have to sell me that case!!!! (lol)
I had one years agowhen they first came out, they just look to kool!!!

Yeah i feel like i got a deal on it. I paid $150 for it about 4-5 yrs ago and it was still all original and working. When i upgraded it i sold the original mobo for $175 on ebay!!! I would like to tear it down one day and spray it with some new paint, maybe something flashly and metallic or even chameleon.

I would like to add a lcd display with Temps and fan controls that I can have presets on. What would yall recommend?

Back