• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Triple 980s No Post eVGA X79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

Hey guys, ran into a problem with my brothers setup today and I'm looking for some help on this one. He recently upgraded to 3 GTX 980s from his 3 GTX 680s but I can't get past the boot screen with 3 cards installed. It gets stuck in a loop of rebooting and showing the splash screen. It works fine with two cards and works fine with his 3 680s but for some reason it doesn't like the 3 980s? I had to update his Bios when he got his 680s so it's running the latest bios. It also works with all 3 cards individually. I will post specs below and thanks for any help at all. Not sure of the exact specs but I'll give you the gist of it and I'll get specifics if need be.

eVGA Classified X79
Some crazy 1500 watt PSU
3x eVGA 980 all the same exact card

If the board works with 3 680's, it's not the board.

Its a high end PSU and it's capable of 5 video cards so I'm 99.9999% sure that's not the issue
5?...........lol
Betting PSU, or the way you have it load balanced.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to say it's how the PSU has the rails balanced.

Move along son, spam someone else's thread. Thank you

He actually gave helpful insight, not sure why you're pissed at him.
It's pretty common for multi-rail PSU's to get unbalanced because of the cable choices when building, which he was actually talking about.

Hmmm, I think he has another PSU kicking around maybe I'll have him swap it out.

Find out the model of it as well.

I've never run more than 2 gpus in SLI or CF. However, running 3 or 4 usually requires a PSU with exceptional amps on a number of rails.

I've never run more than 2 gpus in SLI or CF. However, running 3 or 4 usually requires a PSU with exceptional amps on a number of rails.

Well the first rail has 70A and the second rail has 55A.
Assuming it's all on one rail, that rail is vastly overloaded.

He actually gave helpful insight, not sure why you're pissed at him.
It's pretty common for multi-rail PSU's to get unbalanced because of the cable choices when building, which he was actually talking about.

Find out the model of it as well.
If you look at my quote in that post all he said was "5?.........lol" He edited his post and added the info after I posted that. I just remembered why I stopped coming to this place..... :facepalm:

So you were peeved because Scotty put a 5 with a question mark after? Really?

I also agree with the above that it's likely the Psu.

If you look at my quote in that post all he said was "5?.........lol" He edited his post and added the info after I posted that. I just remembered why I stopped coming to this place..... :facepalm:

Well, it's honestly funny to think about running 5 GPUs and an X79 based system off that PSU.
Especially since SLI only goes up to 4 GPUs.

Well, it's honestly funny to think about running 5 GPUs and an X79 based system off that PSU.
Especially since SLI only goes up to 4 GPUs.

I never said he wanted to run 5, he's trying to run 3. Holy ****, what happened to this place? :bang head

Dylskee, I don't think either of them mean anything by it. I honestly saw Dr.Scott's initial post as pretty funny as well. Its like the equivalent of turning to your friend and saying: 'You joking right?'. ATMINSIDE also made a similar reference. Cut them some slack, I don't read from their posts that they are mocking you in any way. You have been here so long its almost implied you would get a little ribbing.

In regards to your hardware problem, If you have another one, why don't you hotwire a 2nd psu and run the 3rd card separate from the original 2.

Back