• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I return this RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello.

I bought some RAM because I liked the way it looked and mainly the specs and price.

rama.PNG

The reason I want to return them is XMP profile say it will run with command rate at T1 but when I set XMP it just goes to T2. If I set it to T1 manually with XMP enabled it won't boot.

Also I found a sweet spot around 1300-10-12-12-28-T1 with cleaned up sub timings, but it was only about as good as my other RAM @1200-10-11-11-T2, not better. Maybe I need to play with it more still.

Main question was if XMP says one thing and it gets set to something else and won't run what XMP say is that reason to return it??

I'm looking for more gooder RAM and I have some already that perform better than these.

I payed $90 for them.

mema.PNG

It won't boot at XMP setting when I set it to 1T like it says it should be.

Weird that it won't boot at it's XMP settings..

I don't think it'll hurt to return it to the egg.
You can get some RipjawsX for that same price :)

I actually emailed G.Skill tech support and asked if painting the heatspreaders voids warranty.. Yes it does, because of the removal of the stickers to paint them.

He did however offer advice on how to remove them properly so that was nice :)

Your doing 1400mhz effective and only 2T is stable? I wouldn't complain about that. It is often times 2T brings good stability and really doesn't effect performance too much.

but it was only about as good as my other RAM @1200-10-11-11-T2
vs 1400 Cas 12-14-14-35

A sacrifice from timings to speed. No gains to expect there.

Might as well try 1100mhz (DDR3-2200) at Cas 9 with whatever sticks can do that imo. Test that against the Cas 10 with only 100mhz increase clock, I bet the Cas 9 would do better on benchmarking scores.

Hmm... 2800 at 1T and 12-14-14-35 is a hard nut to crack... i think it also depends on the board and CPU if it is able to achieve the required stability. You may RMA in term Gskill was officially validating your CPU/board for being compatible with such a spec. However, it is somewhat hard to make certain XMP settings compatible with every single hardware and i guess some manufacturers simply are handing out to much of a promise as a matter of hard competition. Your call i guess but i think the specs is challenging and not sure the next sticks are able to run the speed you are demanding. Well, it surely doesnt hurt because it cant go worse than that and sticks are easy to replace/test it out... you simply need your vendor (guess Newegg) to be willing to make a exchange.

There is no memory with CR 1T on the market or at least none of the most popular manufacturers are setting that because of compatibility with some ( mainly older ) platforms. Everyone is setting it manually to 1T on haswell boards.
If XMP isn't working then try manual settings. This memory is Hynix brand if I'm right so try manual settings from Hynix HyperX Predator 2800 or any new G.Skill TridentX 2800 or ADATA XPG v3 2800/2933. Some kits like that are in the link in my sig ( generally everything 2800+ CL12 2x4GB will be on similar memory chips ).

Hello devlos,
If you are unhappy with this item, and you do wish to return it, I would be more than happy to get an RMA set up for you. All I require is your sales order number so I may see if you are still within our return period. Please email us your order details at [email protected] and reference this post.
-Mike (Newegg Support)

Thanks Mike and Newegg!

After some more playing around with this kit I am happy with it and will keep it.

I am still searching for the best out of DDR3 though.

Harder Faster Tighter or something like that.

And thanks guys for the responses above, the insight you provide is very valuable.

And I want to see that Silver!

Thanks Mike and Newegg!

After some more playing around with this kit I am happy with it and will keep it.

I am still searching for the best out of DDR3 though.

Harder Faster Tighter or something like that.

And thanks guys for the responses above, the insight you provide is very valuable.

And I want to see that Silver!

I might paint them if things go very right with the AMD build. :)
There will be a thread about it if I go ahead and paint them of course.

Maybe put easy to remove sticker on the serial number sticker and then paint it ? :) ... You can't remove sticker but noone said about painting heatsinks without touching the stickers ;).

Hello devlos,
If you are unhappy with this item, and you do wish to return it, I would be more than happy to get an RMA set up for you. All I require is your sales order number so I may see if you are still within our return period. Please email us your order details at [email protected] and reference this post.
-Mike (Newegg Support)

See now that's service. I'm still not sure why there's so many haters out there.

Dev, I'd probably keep them too. They seem to be a good kit.

Maybe put easy to remove sticker on the serial number sticker and then paint it ? :) ... You can't remove sticker but noone said about painting heatsinks without touching the stickers ;).
This is true.

Painters tape over the stickers and paint away perhaps...

I shall ask G.Skill about this and report back :)

Any sort of mod to G.Skill RAM invalidates the warranty :(
Rats. Something to think about of I choose to paint the heatspreaders...

G.Skill said:
Hi Kyle

Yes, unfortunately any physical modification voids the warranty. Though with proper care, it should be fine.

Thank you

GSKILL SUPPORT

Look for a dead sticks on ebay and just switch heatsinks :) ... but in this case thermal tape will be damaged. At least most of them are similar if you pick the right thickness.

For painting and easy removal, I know there is spray and peel paints on the market. Usually used on car rims and such, you paint the object and later when you need to take the paint off, you just "peel" it off.

Found at local auto parts stores. $9.99 a can at autozone.

Back