• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide for making alligator clips for your DMM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
If you've ever needed an extra set of hands to hold you DMM leads to the wires while trying to do something else than you understand the frustration many of us have had. Last night I decided enough was enough. Sears wanted $17 for the alligator clips that go to my DMM. $17 for 2 Alligator clips! Really?!? So I decided to make my own. And this is exactly how simple it is.

Step one: If you don't already have alligator clips, stop at your local electronics store and pick up a pair. I bought a 4 pack from Radio Shack for $3.

Step two: Take an old Female 4-pin Molex connector and pull one red and one black lead. I've killed several fans recently and chose one just for this purpose. There is a tool for removing the leads from the connector but I don't have one of these so I just cut the plastic from around the pins until they were released.

Step three: Strip about 6mm(1/4") from the cut end of the wires. You can solder the wires directly to the clips or if your clips have a screw you can just tighten the screw onto the wire as I did. (If I have issues with the wires coming off I'll solder them on later.)

Step four: Slide the female end onto the DMM lead. FIN!

Congrats! You now have clips for your DMM and saved some cash.

View attachment 161440View attachment 161441

Last edited:
I love this idea. It's exactly the kind of thing that brought me into overclocking and hardware and modding..... This right here is absolutely awesome.

Thank you for this post. I may just have to try this :D

You should post this at CP also. The guys there will appreciate it too!

Back