• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old tech or new tech?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TreLim

Hello there, i'm faced with the age old choice of AMD or nVidia. my nVidia 470 GTX is on the way out 4 years of high overclocks and the card just being bad thermal has taken it's toll. I'm currently running my R7 250 from my backup pc. I have a budget of about 110 - 120 bucks these seem to be the best to choices i have come up with. Either a Radeon HD5970 (dual gpu 2gb) or GeForce 750 Ti (also 2gb). I do alot of gaming Older games Dunegon Keeper Diablo 2, to modern titles Bioshock Infinit Sims 3, some online MMos, WoW, Swtor, tera. So I need help deciding which would be the best card for current gaming and maybe some newer titles? the old tech of a 5970 raw horse power, or lesser horsepower but more modern tech of a 750ti? my current system build is a FX6300 OC 4.8ghz, 1 8gb Vengence ram stock 1600 but i made the timings alot tighter, 700 watt psu.

The thing is the 5970 only has 2GB of vRAM, but it's a dual GPU card. So you only get 1GB in-game.

i tend to use my pc mainly for gaming, but i game all differnt types of games from old to modern depending on how i feel, and the 5970 has better 3dmark06 and slight better vantage score and alot better floating point performance, but the 750 ti has better passmark and direct compute, since those two seem to be the best i can find within my price range from amd and nvidia which would give the better gaming performance tho? i dont really go for maxium fps more playable 20 - 30 fps, i used the r7 250 i'm currently running to play watchdogs at high settings (tho it only has 1 gb and it recommanded 2) and didnt have many issues only once in awhile got slow down in very heavy areas

Like I said before, the 2GB of the 750Ti is going to be a big advantage. 1GB just isn't enough these days.

I'd personally recommend a GTX 660, on the used market.

It offers much better performance than a 750 Ti, and is in (or around) your budget.

The GTX 660 has roughly double the power consumption than the 750 Ti, but a considerably lower power consumption than a Radeon 5970 (it draws roughly half the power under load). So, basically power usage-wise it is right in the middle between the other two graphics cards.

A GTX 670 would be a better performing card, but it isn't really in your budget as they regularly sell for $150+.

A GTX 580 might also be a possibility, though the 1.5GB vram limitation may or may not be a problem in the games you play.

Last edited:
Back