• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with fan setup Cooler Master Elite 430

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koekoek

Hello,

I need some help with my fan setup.
I recently upgraded my graphics card, RAM, CPU, and Case.

I planned on just upgrading the Graphics card, but then it turned out it didnt fit in the case.
So I then purchased a new case (kind of in a hurry) because I couldnt wait to see how the MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G would perform (I know... my bad).

As of now, I regret buying the Cooler Master Elite 430 case in a hurry.
With this case, my case gets split up in 2 parts because the MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G is such a big graphics card, as you can see on the picture I linked below, (I hope this worked).

http://postimg.org/image/arkbgki0t/

So to the point now:

I now have 2 120mm revoltec case fans at the top (exhaust), at about 1100 RPM (49CFM).
I have the standart fan which was delivered with the case in the lower front panel as intake.
I have 1 of the same revoltec case fan in the rear, also as exhaust.
And as you can see on the picture, I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo (european, @ about 1675 RPM, 66 CFM) cooling my cpu, and I mounted again a same revoltec case fan on top of the Hyper 212 EVO (both as exhaust).

Also I have a side panel fan, the fan of my old cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper T4 which runs at 1700 RPM at this moment (running as intake). But because my graphics card is so big, this side panel fan might suck alot of air in cooling my graphics card... but my MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G already has a very good cooler stock on it, the Twin Frozr V, and this card might be blocking the air which is getting sucked in by the Hyper T4 fan.

I am looking for the best cooling for my CPU specifically.
So is this fan setup okay, or could I do better than this??
I personally think I should remove the revoltec case fan mounted on top of the hyper 212.
I think it is holding back the performance of the 212, since the Hyper 212 EVO is running at about 1675 RPM, and the revoltec fan only 1100. And maybe remove the side panel fan, im not sure what to do.

I run my cpu @4.8GHz now, getting temps of about 80 degrees celcius while gaming, which isnt that bad I think. Also I can stresstest and passed 12 hours of prime 95, but all this time when stresstesting, 2 cores where at about 100 degrees and 2 cores around 90 degrees, so this is to hot.

Looking to get better temps while stresstesting.

To finish this post here are my specs:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K running @4.8 GHz
RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury 1866 MHz running @2133 MHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD + Western Digital HDD 1TB
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G OC edition
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (EU)

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Front/sides = intake
Top/rear = exhaust

4.8ghz is high for a midrange air cooler. What voltage is that flu at to reach 4.8ghz?

Thanks for your input.

I know 4.8 is kinda high. Altough, I thought the cooler master Hyper 212 EVO was a good cooler for overclocking, even for higher overclocks like mine. But this is kind of a dissapointment.

I think I am stable, I can play games without any problems / crashes and temps of 85 degrees on 2 cores and on the other 2 cores around 65 seems okay to me. I even passed 12 hours of prime 95 without errors, but temps were really too high when stresstesting, and I was hoping the Hyper 212 evo would help me a little more there, but until now sadly it isn't.

I run my 4.8 GHz with offset mode of + 0.010V and additional turbo voltage of +0.180V. The additional turbo voltage allows me to have a low offset.
Further more, Internal pll overvoltage is disabled. I have C states disabled. Only C1E and EIST I have enabled. I lowered the CPU PLL voltage from the standart 1.832 too --->> 1.635. Making this even less gives me crashes, and making it higher would probably make my temps worse but I am not totally sure about this.

These settings give me a load vcore voltage of 1.46V, and vid is 1.44V. I have played around alot with the voltages to get this working for me. I can use manual voltage of 1.46 vcore too, tried this.. but offset mode seems to work better for me.

One more question I have at the moment for you now is: Can you tell me if it would make difference temps wise, if I didnt use that much additional turbo voltage. And used a higher offset mode? Would this be better or worse you think? I haven't tried this yet.

This is all information I can think of now.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

1. Hyper 212 Evo is a 'bang for your buck' cooler. Not a performance cooler.
2. You do not want the PC to thermally throttle when stress testing so that is too hot.
3. 1.46v is too high for 24/7. People say 1.4-1.45v. By the way, VID is stock voltage. Nothing else.
4. Im a straight manual guy. I dont play game with basuc math and offsets and power savings. That said, if your load voltage is 1.46 it doesn't matter how you get there, its still 1.46v.

I see. I can get to 4.6 with stresstesting without causing the cpu to throttle, so I guess that really is my max overclock with this current cooling.
4.6 is high enough for gaming. I just wanted to see how far I can go with this chip, and then go back to using a 4.5 - 4.6 as my 24/7 overclock.

I have two 120mm revoltec case fans at the top as exhaust at the moment with a 49 cfm at 1100 rpm. Do you think it will make a significant difference if I replace those fans with fans that have a higher airflow / rpm?
Ive seen some fans that are way better with like 100-200 cfm or even higher airflow, but I dont want it to get to noisy. And I only wanna do this if it will make a significant difference.
Replacing the cpu cooler is not really an option anymore since I already tried two different coolers, and there isnt much room for a good high performance cooler in my case anyway probably. So the only thing that I can think of that might help is replacing the revoltec fans for better fans.

The case fans likely won't help much, sorry. I'd just lower things back.to 4.5 and call it a day with your current cooler. :)

Alright yeah, then thats what i'll do until I will have a better cooler. It sucks so much that if I wanna buy a better cooler, I have to get a bigger case too, and a friend of mine who build my pc, will have to rebuild again lol :/

Well atleast you saved me a few bucks for now :p

Thank you for your responses :)

The ga ins are hardly noticeable outside of benchmarking anyway, so don't lose sleep over it!

I used one of these cases for about a year. Didn't particularly like the case (mainly because it made it difficult to hide/route/manage cables out of the way of the airflow path).

Front: intake
Side: intake
Top: exhaust
Rear: exhaust

I do have one suggestion for you as far as fan setup is concerned. If you don't have an optical drive installed in the 5.25" bays (and/or don't plan to install anything there) I would recommend mounting a 140mm or 120mm fan (depending up on which will fit) in the front of the case in the 5.25" bays for additional intake of cool air, using plastic zip ties to mount/hold it in place.

That's one thing I've found with cases like this where the case is split up into top/bottom chambers by a video card it results in not much cool air making it to the cpu socket/heatsink area, so adding an additional intake fan in the 5.25 bay area can help lower CPU temperatures by increasing airflow to the top of the case and bringing in more cool air.

I have an optical drive installed there now. I use it now and then, but I could live without it.

Can you tell me if you think it will make a significant differenice, or just a few degrees?

Also, what kind of fan would you recommend? I think I already have a 140mm fan in the lower front but I would have to check to be sure.

I guess a fan with as much as airflow (high cfm) would be best?

Anyway.. Thanks for your time and suggestions :)

I have an optical drive installed there now. I use it now and then, but I could live without it.

Can you tell me if you think it will make a significant difference, or just a few degrees?

Also, what kind of fan would you recommend? I think I already have a 140mm fan in the lower front but I would have to check to be sure.

I guess a fan with as much as airflow (high cfm) would be best?

Anyway.. Thanks for your time and suggestions :)

Best guess? Probably somewhere between 2°C and 10°C, though with cases that have worse airflow designs the difference could be even larger.

I usually stick to fans around 60-70CFM of airflow, just because it's usually possible to get quieter fans in that airflow range and not "having" to live with noisy fans that spin at high speeds.

I really like the NZXT FN140-RB for 140mm case applications (non-radiator applications, since it's not a high static pressure fan). That particular fan I've found to be pretty quiet, but it still has pretty good airflow for use as an intake or exhaust fan. The Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 also looks like a good 140mm option. For a 120mm fan, I've liked my Cougar CF-V12HB. I've also heard good things about the Noctua NF-F12, and the NF-S12B redux-1200 also looks good.

There are other good fans on the market, those are just a few that come to mind for me at the moment.

Sorry for the late respond.

10 degrees would be worth it for me, but the only way to find out is to try it out I guess.
Me and my friend who built my pc have tried several things now to try to get the cpu a bit cooler under full load, but the difference is maybe a few degrees everytime or worse, made it run hotter.

Let me add some pictures I took from the front, and the inside of the case:

As in my original post: http://postimg.org/image/arkbgki0t/ This is how we mounted the cpu cooler (Before).

And this is how it CURRENTLY is: http://postimg.org/image/t1sweabzl/

You can see we rotated the cpu cooler because we think this is probably better for the airflow to flow out of the rear instead of the top, + the rear exhaust fan is 140mm. Is this logic of us correct? :p

(Not much changes in cpu temps though).

Also on this picture you can see the frontside of the case.
We could remove the optical drive, I marked the area were the fan would be mounted. Then a 120mm fan will fit.
Our only concern is that if you look close, you see that if we would mount a front intake fan there, it will be slightly lower than the cpu cooler. I personally think it will still add more airflow to the heatsink / cpu, but my friend isn't so sure he says lol.
With a 120mm fan I am still able to keep my fancontroller. A 140mm will not fit in the top front in the optical drive area.

I have searched quite some time for fans.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...sure_Fan_w_Red_LEDs.html?tl=g36c331s518#blank

This fan should have a 82 cfm and is not the loud for me with its 26.5 dBA.
So I would probably go with this fan, but I was thinking... the red revoltec fans only have 49 cfm. So it might help too if I replace the 2 two top red revoltec exhaust fans also, with two of these Aerocools. What is your opinion on this?

As for the side fan. ill stick to the revoltec fan, since high cfm / high rpm fans on the side panel makes too much noise for me.

Okay, thats probably all for now.

Thanks again for your time!

That's not really the configuration I was suggesting.

A 120mm fan takes up about 3x 5.25" bays height-wise, a 140mm fan takes up 3.5x 5.25" bays height-wise.

120mm fan:
DSCN3408.JPG

140mm fan:
DSCN3409.JPG

I didn't realize you had all of your bays filled though, I thought you had just an optical drive, since your signature didn't list any 5.25" bay devices.

I'm not sure this setup would work for you since you have so many things installed there.

Yeah sorry I am new to posting on forums like this one.
I will change my signature for future help from people.

Maybe I will remove the thingy with all the usb ports later since I dont really need them.
I do prefer keeping my fan controller though.

But after alot of research online, I have decided to go a different way.
I will be mounting two new of these ones at the top as exhaust http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12...c331s518#blank

And my friend is going to delid my i7 3770k (using the vice and hammer method).
I know this is risky, but I completely trust my friend, he is good with his hands lol. I would never do this myself since I am pretty clumsy lol.

I know there are risks to doing this, but the advantages ( 15-30 degrees difference in temps ) it gave to most of the people ive read online who did this make me confident enough to let my friend try it. It is worth the risk for me.

Thanks for your suggestions though. ill keep it in mind for my next build.

Atleast ive learned a couple of things :)

Back