• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd 5960X temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgun

Just curious to see what some of you guys are getting for your 5960 temps. I've finally setup everything and am in the process of getting a decent clock on this thing. I'm currently playing at 4.3 (43x100) that is initially stable (4.4 dies at prime95 start), but am seeing temps at 66-72 deg C. VCORE is 1.3 at the moment with no other tweaks.

Running a CPU-380i block with CLU across a MORA 3 and Alphacool UT60 with AP15 fans at full tilt. Water is pushed by an MCP35X2 (well, an EK dual top with those pumps anyway) at full tilt.

Maybe this is what it is, and maybe I have a crappy seat for the block, of which I'll check at some point, but wanted to ensure I'm not going to do some work for nothing. But I'm thinking it's a crappy seat.

Memory is G.Skill 2400 @ C15...well, everything else is in my sig.

Railgun, I'm running specs below with 3-480 rads (2 are XSPC RX480 v3 version and the other is EK Coolstream 480 PE), I'm running a XSPC Twin D5 Bay res with 2 D5s in series running at level 4 (5 max). My Memory Is Corsair DDR4-2800 which I run stock at 2133.

Since my 5960x is OC'd to 4.4Ghz on an Asus ROG Rampage Extreme V mb I have it 's vcore set to 1.31. I'm using an EK Supremacy EVO cpu block.

I ran Aida 64 (licensed version) stress testing cpu/fpu/cache/system memory for over 1 hr and recorded the following temps for components. Temps are min/max/average

MB 30/33/30.1
CPU Overall 28/59/52.7
Core#1 32/69/56.5
2 31/65/54.9
3 32/73/61.1
4 31/67/56.9
5 33/73/59.3
6 31/67/56.5
7 32/70/57.3
8 30/61/51.9

CPU core Voltage min 1.312 max 1.328

Clock
cpu 4400
nb 3000

I hope this info helps.

Last edited:
Definitely. While I realize they run hot, I didn't realize it would be that hot with as much cooling as I have. I would have expected the TIM to help a bit as well.

I need to drain the loop again for some other tweaks and may redo the mount anyway.

Thanks!

You're welcome. I also own a MO RA3-420 Pro but am selling it with this new build. 3 480 rads in one case is clearly enough for this beast. I ENVY you with 2 Titan Xs!:clap:

Sorry BUT still Titans. I'm pleased with my 2 Sapphire R9 290s in CF. Water cooling them really helps. I bought the "poor man's" Caselab/MM case, the brand new Thermaltake Corte X9. Sucker is huge for the price @$170. Holds 3 480 rads internally.

Your new hotness build is Stellar!

Thanks. The Titans are acting up...granted benchmarks aren't the end all be all, but only getting 4500 in Valley. I think some flashing borked one of them. But that's another thread. :)

I think I'd go elsewhere for another big case like this. MM is just too damn expensive for what you get. And being in the UK...shipping, stupidly long lead times for one off parts, some of which shouldn't be one off parts...no longer worth it.

I'll see what happens at 4.4 with a vcore bump. Though I suppose a drop to 4.2 is OK for daily use.

In the OP. MORA3 360 and Alphacool 360 UT60. If my flow meter is calibrated correctly, I'm pushing about 400 L/Hr at full tilt. Just running fresh distilled, nothing else coolant-wise in the loop at the moment, which will be drained after only two days in fav of Mayhems XT-1 and his H2O.

In my loop, and in this order are:

Pump to Aqualis XT res out to UT60 to MORA to:

CPU-380i->Titans with EK full nickel blocks->EK R5E nickel from PCH -> VRMs-> res

I don't have my water temps in yet as I'm waiting for some 2 pin extensions. I'll be measuring water in to the UT60 and out from the MORA to see how well they're doing their jobs.

Last edited:
I bout an XSPC LED thermal readout that plugs in anywhere there is an available plug in the loop (I used the last GPU block. Gives a fairly accurate readout of the coolant temp. Like you I ONLY used distilled water, a single 99% silver coil in the res an 2 drops of biocide.

I previously had a Swiftech Apogee HD cpu block which I could have used but EK recently released the EVO edition of their Supremacy cpu block and some testers clain it droped the cpu temp 2 degrees over others. I spent the $$ to buy one since I was doing a new build.

On the rad front you should be good. Your standard Mo Ra3 is equivalent to 3x360 rads or 1080. Add you Alphacool UT60 (360?) and you are 1440 rad space. I have 3 480s (2 XSPC RX480s and a single EK 480 PE) so my total rad space is also 1440.

I would agree that you need a Temp probe in the loop to compare ambient temp to the true temp of the loop.

I was warned by a long time water cooler on another forum that though the Mo Ra 3s are big (mine is the 420 Pro) they are not as good a rad as the same equivalent of traditional high quality rads. I think that's splitting hairs BUT he's probably correct.

One of my goals with the new build was to stay with 3 internal 480 rads if they could fit. I already owned the EK 480 PE and though thinner than the RX480s still not a bad rad. I debated using an older RX 360 in the loop instead of the EK 480 PE but it won out on sheer size.

With a properly radded and flowing Loop, (loop should be 1-1.5gpm much more flow than that is extremely diminishing returns) you shouldn't see but 1-2c difference within the loop (per Martin's/skineelabs). Perhaps slow that flow down A bit...

Looks like you have about 750w to cool. You have 6x120mm worth of rad (2 360mm Rads) so you are a bit under radded to me.

Definitely try a remount and such...

Earthdog, I thought Railgun was running a Aphphacool UT 60-360 plus a MO RA3 in the loop? That's more than 2 360 rads.

Some would argue the standard MO Ra3 (9x120) is not the same as 3-360 internal rads but it surely is more cooling than a single 360.

I had a XSPC RX360 v1 plus an external MO RA3-420 Pro (9 x 140) when I ran my 3930k @ 4.6Ghz with the same gpus as below. Had tons of cooling capacity.

I'm wondering if it's the Koolance cpu block?

Oh THAT monstrosity! Yeah, be does have 12x120mm worth of rad, plenty to that system. Though the x is a 140w cpu, it should be getting better temps than that I would imagine.

Flow rates are still pretty high if my math is right this early morning. :)

In the short time I've owned and played with the 5960x, I've come to realize it throws a ton of heat when you get in the 4.3 and above range. With 8 true cores/16 threads in that package, it stands to reason. The 140 TDP is only stock. With my settings, PSU calculator estimated up to 248 W !

I agree that rad capacity is not the issue. I just think based on my own 5960x testing that his temps are in line with the OC.

Perhaps it's in the ballpark. But considering we do not know his ambient temp, nor yours nor how leaky.or not the chip is, it's a ballpark guess at best. You typically cannot compare one to another because of the pleathura of variables between the two systems.

That would eliminate 1 of many variables... again comparing different systems is really good for a guesstimate and nothing more.

I'll get some ambients in here, but it's not astronomical.

I've adjusted my flow to just a hair under 1GPM, not that I anticipate any real changes as kinda mentioned.

Yeah, I should have more than enough rad here. The whole idea was to keep it as quiet as possible. :) I used to have 3 UT60s up front, but I wanted to simplify plumbing, so here I am.

I have the water temps in line, just not running to anything yet.

EDIT:

Ambient air in front is about 21C. In the rear, about 22C. Idle CPU is at 33C with fans at their lowest. Fans full tilt, idle temp drops to about 27/28.

Last edited:
Back