• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UNITY BITES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just built a folding box under the wonderful instruction of HayesK, it works a dream.
I am using ubuntu 14.04 and here is the problem, unity crashes once or twice a day so unity is an ugly face to look at for me, kind of like the guy looking at me on my old asrock fatlady pro board bios.
can I change it's face with few issues?
how would I change it's face?
is it worth changing, it's a folding box?
should I change distros alltogether? zorin, fat dawg 64, mint come to mind.
what would I change it's face to?

but are there any advantages over one or the other? has anybody done a face transplant?

Back in the day you used to have to take the default and then install your own. So ya I would imagine a ton of us have done it in the past.

As for advantages, most of it is aesthetic. However, they have varying resource usage. From lowest to highest:

LXDE
MATE
XFCE
Gnome 3
KDE
Unity

Though if I recall Unity and KDE are pretty close together. If I was to rank desktops based on my personal preference it would be the following:

Gnome
Deepin
LXDE/XFCE (tied)
MATE
KDE Unity

Some people like Evolve OS or ElementaryOS. It really depends on your own tastes.

yes, the look, the feel, the options are up to what you like.
I'm finding that I like ubuntu 14.04 but I don't like unity being unstable.
I don't know if it's an app included with it or what.

stratus, from what i am reading, unity is a gui with apps installed, how do i find out if it's unity or one of the apps that is included with it that is causing me grief?
if i just uninstall unity I am left with all the included apps, and then when i transplant on another face I have all those apps also I seem to be seeing.

stratus, from what i am reading, unity is a gui with apps installed, how do i find out if it's unity or one of the apps that is included with it that is causing me grief?
if i just uninstall unity I am left with all the included apps, and then when i transplant on another face I have all those apps also I seem to be seeing.

Well Unity is a desktop environment so yes a gui with application choices. If you uninstall unity it will rip out whatever it considers dependencies (i.e. the default applications).

Usually if the system is crashing you can look to a few places

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/kern.log
/var/log/messages

If you can upload these logs I can parse through them for you if you like to see what I see. Next time the system crashes note the time on the server (i.e. if the logs are in EST, note the time in EST) then I can take a look to correlate system crash with a specific time range.

I suspect if all you are doing is folding, you have a hardware problem but that is just a guess right now

but it is not a system crash like i have seen before, such as when i have the vcore set low and the systm unloads, vcore drops and it will freeze or blue screen.
I just get a dialog that unity has shut down. I can still reboot the system with the mouse so it's not frozen.

I can find the logs, how do I insert them as "code" and not just copy and paste them here?

tonight i have removed a lot of the software that comes with the install and all that i had installed but the software i will use to clock the card and monitor the system and we will see how it does overnight.

that's about 12 hours and i would normally come down and find the dialog about unity, it's not giving me that so I'll let it run and see how it goes.
I forgot to mention that after removing the software last night I installed the updates.

Last edited:
If you click "Go advanced", you will see a button with a hash (#) this is the thing used to wrap text in code tags

thanks stratus, if this set up crases I'll post it like that, just copy and paste makes it messy.
I am almost at 24 hours for the first time so I may not need to at this point....... we will see.

what I have done is go to zorin 9, based on ubuntu 14.04, no unity to crash, no dash board thing, and I actually like the looks.

so, here it is the 24th, still no crashes, folding 24/7 and using some software at the same time.
zorin is a super heavy weight, win7 replacement, stable and plenty of stuff righ from the get go.

Back