• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What in the 24GB of...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
we do advice a minimum of two in SLI for above 4k gaming. Of course for the ultimate experience 4-way SLI is the way the forward.

Yes, yes, of course you recommend a minimum of two USD$2000 (pre-tax) cards and tell us that we really should get four USD$2000 (pre-tax) cards for future-proofing. Where's my R10 399X8?

what's the bid deal, at the shop I use the pny 12gig quadro for cfd work, 24 gigs might help.
who knows what's coming down the pike? I for one am starting to think all compute should be run on the gpus.
for an idea why just go folding and the picture becomes quite clear.

what's the bid deal, at the shop I use the pny 12gig quadro for cfd work, 24 gigs might help.
Companies buying for rendering workstations don't buy Geforce or Radeon cards. They buy Quadros or FirePro, just as in your example, and they sure as heck don't buy "OC" cards, and as you mentioned Quadro and FirePro already offer cards with huge amounts of memory. (Quadro M6000 with 12 GB and FirePro W9100 with 16 GB).
who knows what's coming down the pike? I for one am starting to think all compute should be run on the gpus.
for an idea why just go folding and the picture becomes quite clear.
An uncompressed 4k image at 32-bit color requires 253 MiB (and nothing these days is uncompressed - lossless compression is too cheap to not use). If you're not running a wall grid of 4k displays (in which case even SLI isn't going to get you the processing power for a nice framerate and AA/AF), that much VRAM is a silly waste of money (and electricity).

Last edited:
While I suppose it could be an early April fools joke, bad form on them for releasing it so early.

is this aimed at gamers? how would 24 gigs help in game?
It wouldn't... unless you plan to run 3x 4K monitors and even then, who knows if the 12GB the original comes with is even used...

I don't know where the Titan X is aimed at with its 12GB none the less this 24GB mess...

... that I am still hoping is an early April Fool's joke.

Back