• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG Internal BD Writer Clicking, Any Recourse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hey guys,

So I'm working on a white(ish) build and had wanted to paint my ODD (LG Blu-ray Writer) to match. I disassembled it a while ago (warranty voided), but when I put it back together it's not working anymore.

It clicks repeatedly, as if it's power cycling constantly, and the eject button works every once in a while. When I place a Blu-ray disc into the drive, nothing comes up on my computer.

I'm using it with a SATA to USB adapter, which I've verified as working with a spare Blu-ray drive I have.

Would there be any way I could go about troubleshooting and fixing this drive? I'd like to try to salvage it if possible rather than having to buy a new drive.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to ruint your day but i think you just **** up your optical drive.
I try to do that a few year back but lucky for me, i first try it on a cheap old disk drive and i ran in to the same problem
So what i do next is i return the good bd drive back to the store, get me a slot loading bd drive and something like this

3158I1rFwsL.jpg

It's a 5.25-Inch Aluminum cover bay converter for Slot-Load optical drive and 2X 2.5-inch hdd/ssd drives

You might want to check the eject button and faceplate to see if you have paint gumming up the drawer.

I didn't actually get to painting it yet, so paint gumming up the mechanism isn't the issue. Every once in a while I can get it to open and take a disc, but as soon as it closes I get the dreaded whir click repeat symptoms without so much as an extra drive popping up in Explorer...

I think I am out of luck. I was just hoping I could fix it somehow but I think that's out of the question.

Back