• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does OCing i7 4790k damage it or degrade it in any way performance wise or life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tecnikstr0be

Registered
i was experimenting for a few days on my i7 4790k trying to find a stable over clock but turns out i dont have a lucky chip and went back to stock settings, my question is with all the voltage adjustments, and clock adjustments/temperatures will that have done damage to my cpu or degrade the life span or performance after putting it back to stock? is my chip still jsut as good as before i messed around with it? event though it froze,crashed or BSOD during stress tests or game play?? i did a stress test and the temp hit 91 and 93c for 3 seconds and i shut it off as soon as i saw that. the highest volt i tried was 1.310v

i use a noctua dh14 cooler with artic silver 5

You should be fine Tec. Freezing, crashing and BSOD's are all very common when OCing. Short periods of high voltage and temps generally don't do any damage provided adequate cooling. Most degradation is cause by extended periods of high voltage, high load and/or high temps.

You should be fine Tec. Freezing, crashing and BSOD's are all very common when OCing. Short periods of high voltage and temps generally don't do any damage provided adequate cooling. Most degradation is cause by extended periods of high voltage, high load and/or high temps.

i was only experimenting from march 9th till 2 days ago i went back to stock... so im fine? when you say high periods you mean like years of use?

does bsods,freezes and crashing degrade my cpu in anyway? so now that im back to stock i got nothing to worry about, no harm done due to experimentation?

Each chip will respond differently of course. Generally 1.25v is the accepted 24/7 max voltage while air cooling but it's not uncommon to see people push as far as 1.30v or even 1.35v on top end air cooler or water cooling. Your Noctua is a top end cooler so you'll be fine. I wouldn't be concerned about that short period of high temps.

What are your stock voltage and load temps at stock?

Freezing and crashing no. Depending on what causes the blue screen yes or no. We generally refer to all blue screens as B(lue)S(creen)O(f)D(eath) but in truth most are cause by software(like Windows) or hardware(like ram or CPU) becoming unstable and it's you system shutting down and protecting its self before damage can happen. There are the RARE BSOD's, the true death screens when hardware fails. You obviously didn't expierience the true BSOD as your system was able to boot.

Each chip will respond differently of course. Generally 1.25v is the accepted 24/7 max voltage while air cooling but it's not uncommon to see people push as far as 1.30v or even 1.35v on top end air cooler or water cooling. Your Noctua is a top end cooler so you'll be fine. I wouldn't be concerned about that short period of high temps.

What are your stock voltage and load temps at stock?

1.19v n i seem highest when playin games 69-70c like titanfall

Is that 69-70*C at stock clocks? If so you might want to check your cooler mounting or ventilation as that sounds a bit high.

when im playing games yes

Is that 69-70*C at stock clocks? If so you might want to check your cooler mounting or ventilation as that sounds a bit high.

ok maybe i take that back im playing bioshock infinite and 52c is my highest so far

ok it hit 63c

Last edited by a moderator:
you are fine, 100c is where the 4790k will protect itself from you.
having this cpu, if you can make 4.6ghz that's all you will ever need to clock it for gaming, above that it should be left to those of us that bench as the gains can be so very little for gaming and 4.4 whith ht turned off will be plenty for most games. but if you bench, the whole picture changes.
I have a set number of bsod's that I will allow on a system, each one corrupts the os a little, three or four on a 24/7 use system, not enough to worry about.

you are fine, 100c is where the 4790k will protect itself from you.
having this cpu, if you can make 4.6ghz that's all you will ever need to clock it for gaming, above that it should be left to those of us that bench as the gains can be so very little for gaming and 4.4 whith ht turned off will be plenty for most games. but if you bench, the whole picture changes.
I have a set number of bsod's that I will allow on a system, each one corrupts the os a little, three or four on a 24/7 use system, not enough to worry about.

100c is the temp that shouldnt be passed? so it still safe to go into the 90s ?

No. He's saying Intel has placed a self protection at 100c. The chip will shut itself down.

EDIT: There's no set number where your cpu will die. Each one is a little different from the other. Think of it like a finger print. They all look similar but none of them are the same. Again the fact that you shut the system down and then was able to start it back up tells me there's no damage. If you had caused damage it wouldn't boot.

No. He's saying Intel has placed a self protection at 100c. The chip will shut itself down.

EDIT: There's no set number where your cpu will die. Each one is a little different from the other. Think of it like a finger print. They all look similar but none of them are the same. Again the fact that you shut the system down and then was able to start it back up tells me there's no damage. If you had caused damage it wouldn't boot.

sounds good

so i have nothing to worry about cause if something bad pending were to actually happen my pc will protect me with any of it fail safes? im asking so i wont have to be worryig and having an ocd when using my cpu over clocked at 1.200v 4.6ghz and having temps from 30-70c... so what do you think?

Those are very acceptable temps. The fail-safe temp in the 4790K as explained by CD is 100c. Once that threshold is reached, the pc will shut itself down to prevent any damage to the chip.

Relax, you're fine. Enjoy your machine ;) I'm running 4.7Ghz and 1.3v since day one and not a single hiccup :D

Those are very acceptable temps. The fail-safe temp in the 4790K as explained by CD is 100c. Once that threshold is reached, the pc will shut itself down to prevent any damage to the chip.

Relax, you're fine. Enjoy your machine ;)

ok cool so i can even reach 80-90c and still be fine? im all paranoid i feel like all this experimentation degrades my rig and graphics and performance lol i hope its just in my head haha

90c is cutting it close. As a rule stay under 75c as a personal safety net. You can get away with 80c, but try not to ;)

sounds good. so all this wont degrade my gpu and cpu experience right or lifespan? 1.200v 4.6ghz and the temps? i need some reassurance i been going crazy lol :)

:rofl: relax bro, you're fine. Nothing to worry about! Enjoy your rig and don't be paranoid. We're here to be sure you get the most out of your machine safely.

Back