• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 HTPC experience and questions for ya'll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rescuetoaster

So I've had my new HTPC setup running for a few weeks now, and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. It's got an a6-7400K, a Giga F2a88xm-DH3, 8 gigs of ripjaws 1600. I have to say that the image quality is fantastic - I was attempting to do the same thing with an intel HD setup, and the overscan that was required made the image quality terrible. Not an issue with AMD handling the graphics.

I finally got Shark007's codec pack to pass dolby digital and DTS for my video files I have stored locally and everything sounds great with those.

My biggest complaint at the moment however is that I have to manually select dolby digital plus on the netflix app every time it is closed. So if the computer restarts or the app gets closed, when it is re-opened the audio selection is stereo which is noticeably worse. It's a minor annoyance for me, but I'd like to get it to default to dolby digital for the fiance's sake since she doesn't really think of these things.
Does anyone have a solution for this? I just want netflix to ALWAYS select dolby when it's available upon starting the app.

Interestingly enough, I read elsewhere a hearing impaired disabled guy tried suing netflix for not providing closed captioning for all their streams. He lost. Reason being, netflix is not a "device", in the eyes of the court.

What case is your htpc in? Pictures?

In other news, do you have a way of leaving it open and would that keep your setting?

I put it all in a fractal design core 1000 they had on sale at microcenter - it was just thin enough to sit behind the TV on the entertainment stand. If this were for any other purpose, I would not recommend this case, but I have so few components inside of it that it's fine for my needs.

I do leave netflix open and it will retain the settings, which is fine for the most part. The computer can sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity and everything is good when it wakes up.

I was able to reuse the keyboard controller from the revue by just getting a unified receiver for the computer. The only functionality I've lost from the keyboard is the ability to turn the tv and surround sound on from the keyboard - not sure how to get that back yet.

Back