• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg NO MORE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I recently bought a new rig I put together. I used newegg as a reputable online resource for everything even though it would cost about a $100 more in taxes (i'm in cali too). It took me two months to pay for everything and so the very last item I received was the samsung evo 120gb sata. It came in an envelope about 8x10 and weighed like nooothing. I opened it to find ten pieces of cardboard and nothing else. It took nearly two weels for them to credit the $194.01 back to my card. The only saving grace was the fact the envelope shipped with a tag that said 5oz's. The package label had a return addy of some apt# in NJ.

Long story short, I will never buy from newegg again. I do not want to have to film myself opening every damn box I get from them. Btw, one of their agents told me they know of customers who actually do this. The problem is not newegg shipments, it's all the third parties they use for their 'inventory'. I don't have time to sift through theirs and others on the same site and I won't. Not after that fiasco.
Good luck with that next newegg purchase via a third party.

It's actually a good thing that happened. Upon reflection I decided to go the msata route as I already own a usb3 asus wireless ac dongle. The msata is half the price of the reg evo sata and saves me a full slot for a 6tb sata.

I mean, why forsake Newegg because of one issue?
I've been using them for years and never had a problem, along with many other sites.

Can't trust the third party, which they do. An apt #... right. And I refuse to film myself every time I open a shipped package. I'll still, reluctantly, use their user recommendations. Until I find a better site of course.
One issue is like, a mistake they made and fixed promptly. A $200 hd that I had to fight to get my money back is not a mistake. It's theft straight up.

Can't trust the third party, which they do. An apt #... right. And I refuse to film myself every time I open a shipped package.

Right, so you bought from a third party through Newegg. Just don't do that.
It's easy, there's a filter for "Sold By" on their site when you're browsing.

The fault wasn't with Newegg, it was with the third party.

Why bother? I can save ca tax by not using them. Google shopping works.All is needed is a reputable out of state site such as B&H. Anybody really with a phone# will work. As long as they speak perfect english.

Why bother? I can save ca tax by not using them. Google shopping works.All is needed is a reputable out of state site such as B&H. Anybody really with a phone# will work. As long as they speak perfect english.

You still owe that tax, even if the seller doesn't take it up front, and you're not going to get away with it for long as states are getting quite fed up with it.

Newegg has of course gone to 3rd party (amazon does it, walmart, best buy...blah blah blah). I never buy anything I need in a timely manner from anything other than the primary seller. Lessen learned, if you still don't want to do business with what's most likely the most affordable and best customer servicing business in the market that's your call, best of luck doing better from another retailer.

I recently bought a new rig I put together. I used newegg as a reputable online resource for everything even though it would cost about a $100 more in taxes (i'm in cali too). It took me two months to pay for everything and so the very last item I received was the samsung evo 120gb sata. It came in an envelope about 8x10 and weighed like nooothing. I opened it to find ten pieces of cardboard and nothing else. It took nearly two weels for them to credit the $194.01 back to my card. The only saving grace was the fact the envelope shipped with a tag that said 5oz's. The package label had a return addy of some apt# in NJ.

Long story short, I will never buy from newegg again. I do not want to have to film myself opening every damn box I get from them. Btw, one of their agents told me they know of customers who actually do this. The problem is not newegg shipments, it's all the third parties they use for their 'inventory'. I don't have time to sift through theirs and others on the same site and I won't. Not after that fiasco.
Good luck with that next newegg purchase via a third party.

It's actually a good thing that happened. Upon reflection I decided to go the msata route as I already own a usb3 asus wireless ac dongle. The msata is half the price of the reg evo sata and saves me a full slot for a 6tb sata.

Hello habbajabba,

I'm truly sorry to hear that you did not receive your hard drive from one of our Marketplace Sellers. Additionally, I apologize for the amount of time you had to wait to receive your refund. I would like to forward your experience and feedback to our Marketplace Department and upper management. We are always looking for ways to improve our site as this includes our service and quality of products we ship out. Please email us your order number along with any further details you can provided to [email protected]. It is our goal to ensure that you always have a good experience and we do not want to let one issue turn you away from us.

-Mike (Newegg Support)

Want to improve the site? Stop trying to be Amazon, and let us permanently opt out of seeing marketplace seller items.

Want to improve the site? Stop trying to be Amazon, and let us permanently opt out of seeing marketplace seller items.

How hard is it to click the "Sold by: Newegg" radio button on your search results? If you're that concerned about it, I'm sure a greasemonkey script could be written to automagically click that button for you.. but come on.

I ALWAYS click the little radio button for Newegg or just choose Newegg under sellers in order to eliminate those third party sellers. I do not trust them either. Amazon is exactly the same way with third parties. My gripe with Newegg is very different. I "tried" to sell computer parts a few years back. Newegg purchases many products by the thousands which allows them to underprice almost anybody. This is a monopoly which effectively eliminates the possibility of smaller businesses trying to get started. So because of this I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the egg! I got glowing reviews for customer service though and in that respect I was pretty much unbeatable. So even though the profit margins were ridiculous, I am proud that I went above and beyond for all my customers.

How hard is it to click the "Sold by: Newegg" radio button on your search results? If you're that concerned about it, I'm sure a greasemonkey script could be written to automagically click that button for you.. but come on.

I shouldn't have to write a script to make the site usable. The radio button unchecks itself quite often, and I really don't want to buy items on newegg that aren't sold by newegg. You say 'but come on,' and I say 'I buy from other sites since newegg got annoying, and if newegg wants my money they'll let me opt out of their amazon experiment.'

Holy crap some of you guys are really dramatic about that seller marketplace thing

newegg.png

I'd like to point out that pretty much every place except microcenter are now operating on that same "marketplace" principle.... not sure why Newegg's implementation is so "villainous"

othervendors.png

I shouldn't have to write a script to make the site usable. The radio button unchecks itself quite often, and I really don't want to buy items on newegg that aren't sold by newegg. You say 'but come on,' and I say 'I buy from other sites since newegg got annoying, and if newegg wants my money they'll let me opt out of their amazon experiment.'

Huh what? Amazon doesn't default to Amazon.com direct sales only, either. If you're going to continue to argue about how hard it is to click that darn single button, then at least remember that you have to click that darn single button on that other site, too.

If you guys are seriously trying to convince me that my opinion is somehow wrong, you are wasting your time.

If you guys are seriously trying to convince me that my opinion is somehow wrong, you are wasting your time.

I hear you on your opinion and I do some looking at BestBuy and it really is a "task" to keep it hooked to sold by BestBuy only. The Egg off and on makes me have to look to see that Radio button is NewEgg only also. Honestly if you don't want to buy from NewEgg because their 3rd party umbrella had a hole in it...then rokkon. The problem came in saying so in an open forum. No one ever gets by unscathed in an open forum. Never. You will get hit with that other opinion for certain.

Good luck where ever you buy.

RGone...

Chalked up under "**** happens" .

Deal with it your own way. No more New Egg?? Then so be it.

I apologize if I somehow started an argument. That was not my intention at all. I was trying to sympathize with you and let you know that somebody else has a similar opinion of the egg. On top of all this, I live in Indiana. They recently opened a warehouse in Indiana. So now I have to pay some hefty taxes on higher priced stuff (the majority of everything I want). The good part is that I get stuff next day if it's in stock at that warehouse. I also hate having to click the radio button every time though too. I just try to remember to choose "New" and then "Newegg" so that I don't have to see a 60GB SSD being sold for $549.99.

I apologize if I somehow started an argument. That was not my intention at all. I was trying to sympathize with you and let you know that somebody else has a similar opinion of the egg. On top of all this, I live in Indiana. They recently opened a warehouse in Indiana. So now I have to pay some hefty taxes on higher priced stuff (the majority of everything I want). The good part is that I get stuff next day if it's in stock at that warehouse. I also hate having to click the radio button every time though too. I just try to remember to choose "New" and then "Newegg" so that I don't have to see a 60GB SSD being sold for $549.99.

Once more, you ALWAYS had to pay those taxes. If you weren't paying them, you were breaking the law.

Back