• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC RAID Storage available via Network?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iterator

Registered
Hi everyone! I'm currently in the process of building a PC.

I currently have configured and in the cart 2 128GB SSD's for dual boot configuration, one 256GB SSD for Games/Applications, and 4 WD 2TB Black drives for use in a RAID configuration. I think I'm leaning towards RAID 6 for the HDD setup, but advice there is welcome.

To my question specifically: Having 8TB of storage solely for movies, music, and files is awesome! What would be more awesome is if I could still access this from the network. That, of course, is rather trivial. But requires that the PC be powered up. I was wondering if there may be a way to have a NAS setup within the PC case that could still be accessible with the PC power off (or, perhaps just have the PC wake from the network card)?

This is probably as stupid of a question as I believe it to be, but having a storage server accessible from anywhere is a goal of mine. I'm faced with either having the awesome RAID setup solely for my PC, or having to create a dedicated server PC to provide my storage (and use far less power). If a dedicated server is the best route, then the Corsair 900D case I've selected may be rather empty.

:welcome: to the forums.

I would honestly just do one 512GB SSD and setup a dual boot there, it will give you plenty of space and you can just partition it off (unless that wasn't your idea for doing that).

You can't have your storage available while your PC is off, you can setup wake on lan, which will wake up your computer (assuming you set it up correctly).

Ultimatley, the 'easiest' solution would be to buy something along the lines of a Drobo or Synology NAS box, plugin those 4x2TB drives and it will run sipping power on the network in your place.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

At how cheap the 128GB SSD's are these days I was thinking of just giving each OS it's own dedicated disk. Not that I have anything against partitioning.

Looking at the Sinology NAS boxes, that may be exactly what I need!

You can always make your own NAS using cheap motherboard + AMD Kabini series or any Celeron and install there FreeNAS or other free soft. Maybe more work but additional satisfaction ;)

Woomack, that is exactly what I think I'm going to do. I have a personal tool I want to develop to take advantage of a home server for secured file requests and storage.

But, I also can't get away from the idea of having a dedicated RAID for my computer itself. I've made a new post regarding onboard RAID vs. dedicated RAID cards, so I won't ask anything more here -- but you should check it out if you may have some insight!

Janus: As far as SSD's that's what I've chosen to do. I'm splitting a 250GB SSD for my two operating systems, and then a 500GB SSD for each OS' apps/games. I think that should work out just fine!

Back