• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal paste choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawnmcc

I was wondering if there is a thermal paste that works better then artic silver 5. Or should I just stick with artic silver 5.

The best TIMs out will only differ by 1-3c. AS5 is a good paste. Artic Cooling's MX4 is what I use since the tube was only 5 bux at the time.

AS5 is a good choice over OEM pastes. It's not the best, but not the worst.

I use Antec Formula 6 or 7.

specs.
Diamond particles measuring 0.0000015 cm rated at 8.3 w/mK, Good from -50c to 250c stable heat transfer.

But there are a good handful of pastes about the same. This one found at a local best buy is only 12$.

The latest "go to" of my knowledge is the GELID GC-Extreme. Keeping in mind that MOST of the higher quality TIMs are within a degree of each other, so really just whatever you are comfortable with spending at that point (which in all reality if you are spending $10~ anyway, just go ahead and grab the GELID for $12, lol)

I went with Antec FORMULA 7 Nano Diamond. It wasn't much more at $14.

I use Type 44 Heat Sink Compound, made by GC Electronics.
10-8118.jpg

Works great for me, does not dry out.

Last edited:
At some forums you get people piping in who use toothpaste.:screwy:

Lol that's funny.

Have tried anti-seize before. It kinda works, but not really well.

Have used water between Dice pot and IHS plate. It froze the pot the the cpu. Actually worked rather well. No mess other than soaking up water with a paper towel.

And lastly, some hot dog juices from the bottom of the hot dog baggy. (lol not serious, but I'm the kinda guy to try it though!)

At some forums you get people piping in who use toothpaste.:screwy:

One day, having to take my cooler off for some reason and not able to find my tube of TIM I tried toothpaste as I read on here it works in a pinch.

The result was not good. CPU overheated to the safety shut down point and got the paste so hot is started to leak out onto the socket.

I think the gel could work; my toothpaste was rather abrasive which most likely was the cause of its catastrophic failure.

If I had to try it again I would use the gel or some sort of hair cream, take some 600 grit sand paper and sand on a piece of copper or aluminum for a bit. Mix the resulting dust into the paste and use that.

MX4 for everything except RAMsinks for which I have a giant roll of 3M thermal transfer tape.

Guess using chunky peanut butter would not be advisable.

Organic chunky peanut butter pwnz your Jif :D Add some bananas, and your computer is making toasted peanut butter banana sandwiches for you :p

So no love for Coollaboratory Liquid Pro? I've always had good luck with it, as long as nothing aluminum touches it (so no "direct touch" heatpipe coolers, or Alumnium sinks).

It's also not good for sub-zero either. And I'm not a fan of the CL Ultra.

Big fan of it on direct die to copper blocks/sinks - vid cards and chipsets.

My go to is gelid supreme, 7g tube for $10. Works about the same as the extreme but a lot cheaper. Cleans up easily too.

just buy some, anything works, you are only going to see a couple degree difference tops. long as it isnt some super generic stuff, or toothpaste.

Back