• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking on M5A99FX PRO R2.0 & FX8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are my results. What I did was I put a small fan on the back mounted with circular 2 side tape and switched out my two 140mm fans in the front with three 120mm fans and on the h100i instead of two 120mm fans I have four 120mm fans. I have a 140mm fan blowing on the VRM
CPU1.PNG MEM1.PNG SPD1.PNG

Temps look much better! You should fix the timings on the ram now as per Johans suggestion in post #17.

Temps now went up from 58C to 59C my house is pretty cool I dont get whats going on. I've added fans so I have a total of 8 fans and a small one in the back of the CPU. I am all out of ideas. Even applied new thermal paste so Im not sure why the temps went up. id say it is between 58C and 61C

I've done testing on Prime and Aida again and Aida64 seems to have cooler temps all the time. Do you think this is correct temps or does prime95 do more stressing than aida. I hope the temps that Aida is giving me are good.

AIDA64 & HWM.PNG ccpu.PNG mmem.PNG sspd.PNG

1. No AIDA64 (60% of P95Blend) does NOT stress as heavily as P95 Blend Mode does and is why most of us use P95 Blend mode for stability testing. Some of us Test with P95 Blend mode beyond 2 hours even.

2. I have never paid for AIDA64 so I don't know how to make it LOG Minimum and Maximum Temps and Voltages like HWMonitor even in FREE version is doing.

3. If you look at the MAX for Cpu Voltage and Temp you will see 1.536V Max for Cpu Voltage which is WAY TOO Much for only 4.4Ghz. And thus the Captured Max Temp shows up as 98c and was most likely when the cpu was way the crap overvolted for 4.4Ghz.

4. That is what "I" see. However all that said if you like the temps you see in AIDA64, then carry on and use the computer. It is probably okay for gaming as it sits.

RGone...

What do you have the Cpu LLC set at? If on auto take it off and set it at High or Ultra high then re run prime. The goal is to have the Cpu Volts to stay as close to the set voltage in the BIOS without overshooting or drooping significantly. Note that you may need to increase your set voltage to keep it stable at a previously stable Oc.

He should set his ram up manually as well. Note should be 9-9-9-27-36 and is actually running 9-9-9-24-40.... Not a big difference, but it wouldn't hurt to loosen the tRAS timing to where it should be.

The Cpu temp in HWmonitor is a bug. Happens on my sig rig often enough.

There's no way the Cpu temp hit 98c for two reasons. 1 the rig didn't shut off and 2 the Package or Core temps don't read high enough to make this a realistic temp readout.

And honestly mine reads backwards from this. Package temp is always hotter than the Cpu temp. I think as it should be considering the Core makes the heat, But I also understand the VRM package area likes to pool heat on that cpu socket area.

The idea of a box fan on the side panel for good overclocking practicing always appealed to me. Your looking at mass cooling the entire board, HDDs video card all with one fan. If you still have warm temps (which I don't think you do at this point looking at the pictures) You would consider lowering the room or ambient temperature. PCs can add room heat making cooling curve go down hill. Sometimes fast. My son used to run a 8800 Ultra which I had used his rig at the time for F@H. I closed his heat register during the winter months because the PC was heater enough for his small bedroom. So you see, almost need to always add chilling somewhere even if that means your entire room the PC is located in.

Food for thought, happy sunday.

EDIT: While using HWMonitor Pro Free, I've seen Cpu temp hit as high as 179c..... Yea don't think so pal lol.

Forgive the hack n slash mounting. I'm cheap and didn't want to spend money for a block mount so I made one. But I used threaded rod to the backplate. Which left lots of extra poking out so I mounted some old cpu fans to it. Don't know what the temps are but with that kind of air it can't be high. Also I moved the right fan to the opposite corner so its blowing between the ram and southbridge. Note. The sticker off my VRM block that says "dual intelligent processors" is blowing off. Its flapping all around. Guess Asus didn't plan on constant air CAM00423.jpg

OK see that CPU temp at 56 and the package temp at 36. That's the issue. You want them 10c apart from each other or less is even better. The CPU is the socket temperature and once it starts to get hot like that you have to work at cooling it down. The package is essentially the core temperatur and is nice an cool because of the AIO. But the socket( CPU) is the issue when you try to go faster I can see it getting into the "danger" zone and the board reacts by throttling or shutting down. In this case it's locking up. So get those fans in there as suggested and that will help a lot. Also make sure that the ram has the approprite voltage of 1.65 and the timings should be 9-9-9-27-36 according to the SPD tab.
I have always wondered which temp was each. Now I know.

Okay it would be nice to get to 5.0 if its not possible fine but I'm trying to reach atleast 4.6 to 4.7 4.5 the lowest if I can.I looked for my other threads and couldn't find them. As far as the sabertooth990fx it was just a high price. For my cooling I have the H100i which I would say is better then the 212 evo that I had and the case that I have now has way better airflow then my last. I've got from Tomshardware that some one has reached 5.0 on the same exact board+cpu. Sorry if I asked this question before but no need to be rude you could of just passed this thread up if you didn't want to help me.

Now for RGone if I can get some type of video of some sort or thread that could help me on reaching at least 4.5GHz that would be great. I don't think games run or need 4.5GHz to run at this point but ill try to reach it if I can.

Tom's Hardware is the place I would least expect to get a legitimate answer about anything to do with overclocking. Your cpu cooler is very, very important to get to 5 GHz. More than likely your closed loop cooler isn't up to the task as others have stated. That being said your motherboard is at least as important. I would think a 6300 would have a lot better shot at 5 GHz than an 8 core with your board. Getting a good overclock is pretty basic. Adequate cpu cooling. Same with case airflow. Stout motherboard. Decent silicon. Good psu. Setting up the multipliers and tweaking voltages. There are lots of threads in here that will give you a good starting point. Then its stress testing, watching your temps or thermal margins. Re-boot, tweak settings till you have it dialed in. It may be good and one day not be stable due to warmer ambient temps. Then you have to dial it back. I strongly agree with Johan on the fans on the mosfet heatsink and the back of the cpu socket. If you are serious about your overclock you will do it. Plus it is cheap and easy to implement.

Last edited:
Forgive the hack n slash mounting. I'm cheap and didn't want to spend money for a block mount so I made one. But I used threaded rod to the backplate. Which left lots of extra poking out so I mounted some old cpu fans to it. Don't know what the temps are but with that kind of air it can't be high. Also I moved the right fan to the opposite corner so its blowing between the ram and southbridge. Note. The sticker off my VRM block that says "dual intelligent processors" is blowing off. Its flapping all around. Guess Asus didn't plan on constant airView attachment 161748

That is just too cool. It works and looks industrial. Don't apologize for not wasting money.

Last edited:
Back