• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking on M5A99FX PRO R2.0 & FX8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xeriian

Registered
So I have upgraded since I've last been on this site. I have gotten the following listed below and replaced my older parts.

- M5A99FX PRO R2.0 "BOARD"
-8GB DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz "DDR3"
-Corsair Carbide Air 540 "CASE"
-Corsair H100i "CPU COOLER"
-R9 290X 4GB or GTX 970 "Not sure which to get"

Okay so my question is... With my board and my cpu I am overclocked from 3.5GHz to 4.42 GHz as of right now. However I cant seem to get it past 4.42GHz with out it freezing and or shutting down can some one assist me in getting it to 4.6 or higher if possible. I was told it could reach 5.0GHz or fairly close to it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am overclocked from 3.5GHz to 4.42 GHz as of right now. However I cant seem to get it past 4.42GHz with out it freezing and or shutting down can some one assist me in getting it to 4.6 or higher if possible. I was told it could reach 5.0GHz or fairly close to it.

We have two users that are here day in and day out helping and each of them has tried one of the 990 EVO and the PRO board and both report having "serious" and insurmountable issues trying to go beyond 4.5GHz with stability. Each moved to a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or the CHV motherboards to reach fully stability beyond 4.5Ghz.
It sounds like you are in very much the same condition.

Not sure who 'told' you that 5.0Ghz or close was doable with that mobo. Was it someone that HAD done it? And if it was somebody that WAS doing it...we would like to know how they do it. With 2 hours of P95 Blend mode stabiility since that is the watershed around here for stability.

RGone...

So I have upgraded since I've last been on this site. I have gotten the following listed below and replaced my older parts.

-8GB DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz "DDR3"
-Corsair Carbide Air 540 "CASE"
-Corsair H100i "CPU COOLER"
-R9 290X 4GB or GTX 970 "Not sure which to get"

Okay so my question is... With my board and my cpu I am overclocked from 3.5GHz to 4.42 GHz as of right now. However I cant seem to get it past 4.42GHz with out it freezing and or shutting down can some one assist me in getting it to 4.6 or higher if possible. I was told it could reach 5.0GHz or fairly close to it.

Thanks!
Actually no you weren't, you had at least two other threads asking about overclocking your 8320. On both of them you wanted to get to the magical epeen 5.0 Oc. You were told on both threads that nothing short of high end cooling and a very stout motherboard were going to take you there. You told us, the people trying to help you, you were going to get the Sabertooth 990fx. I specifically told you that the M5A990Fx pro would likely top out at 4.6-4.7, my M5A99X Evo which is almost the exact same board topped at 4.5 with my 8350. This doesn't mean you will not get your 8320 higher, but you definitely handicapped yourself with a 6+2 power phase board. You can start helping yourself by reading the guide we have for overclocking a Fx processor in the AMD cpu section.

Okay it would be nice to get to 5.0 if its not possible fine but I'm trying to reach atleast 4.6 to 4.7 4.5 the lowest if I can.I looked for my other threads and couldn't find them. As far as the sabertooth990fx it was just a high price. For my cooling I have the H100i which I would say is better then the 212 evo that I had and the case that I have now has way better airflow then my last. I've got from Tomshardware that some one has reached 5.0 on the same exact board+cpu. Sorry if I asked this question before but no need to be rude you could of just passed this thread up if you didn't want to help me.

Now for RGone if I can get some type of video of some sort or thread that could help me on reaching at least 4.5GHz that would be great. I don't think games run or need 4.5GHz to run at this point but ill try to reach it if I can.

The best thing you can do right now with that AIO cooler is add in some fans for the VRM and back of the Mobo. This will "help" you get a bit higher than you are now. Also make sure there's a lot of air going through that case. You'll need it.

back fan.jpeg
Capturefan.PNG
vrm fans.jpg

Okay it would be nice to get to 5.0 if its not possible fine but I'm trying to reach atleast 4.6 to 4.7 4.5 the lowest if I can.I looked for my other threads and couldn't find them. As far as the sabertooth990fx it was just a high price. For my cooling I have the H100i which I would say is better then the 212 evo that I had and the case that I have now has way better airflow then my last. I've got from Tomshardware that some one has reached 5.0 on the same exact board+cpu. Sorry if I asked this question before but no need to be rude you could of just passed this thread up if you didn't want to help me.

Rude? Sorry if what I said came off that way but the intention was not there. I was merely pointing out to you that on your previous threads more then one person stated that you likely wouldn't obtain the magical 5.0 number on a M5A990Fx board. Yes there are people that will say they have hit X Ghz and I have hit 5.0 on my M5A99X Evo. That said, being able to Oc to 5.0 and running a rig there for a daily Oc are completely 2 different things. Yes I was able to run my rig at 5.0 on my M5A99X Evo with my Fx 8350 but it was not what I nor many of the others that will likely be helping you in AMD land, would consider stable for daily computing. You will be hard pressed to find many people on this forum that will say they have a rig at X Ghz OC without passing at least 2 hours prime. I have found the only true stability benchmarks for what I use my computer for, is at least 2 hours of Prime 95 Blend or Occt. I have tried other stress programs and found that even after passing others I still had issues with crashes. Others will say different, I am merely pointing out what works tried and true for myself.

Back to the motherboard, I was able to pass another stress test with my M5A99X Evo at 5.0 but was having issues with random BSOD. So I went back to what I knew worked for me, prime 95 blend. As soon as I hit start on Prime 95 with my Oc at 4.5 the rig would freeze. No matter what volts I hit the chip with it would just lock up at any point after 4.5. This was all on a custom H2O loop shown in my signature. What I concluded was that my power phase section on the motherboard wasn't stout enough to feed the voltage the chip was demanding at that Oc. As soon as I changed my motherboard to the CHV I have in my signature I was able to Oc to my daily Oc at 4.7. I also have tested my chip all the way up to 5.1 2+ hours prime stable but do not run it there due to the amount of voltage necessary to do so and the heat generated.

If you want to see how high you can reach you best bet is to read the sticky we have in the AMD section.

I think I can fit one more fan in the front of my case but don't have it. Also my H100i can fit 2 more fans on top of the radiator as the are 2 on the bottom. The PSU is located on the other side of case to get rid of that extra heat and cluttuer. I know the fans in my case I can go bigger I think its 140mm. Now for the VRM how can I get fans on it/them and what size.
11082565_930328243665565_981499604102471459_n.jpg

Mandrake sorry if I came off mad but I'm not wanting to hit 5.0 just curious about reaching it or close. I understand that when I go over 4.4GHz it locks up. is there any tips to get it to maybe 4.5 stable. if 4.4 is all then that's fine.

Small chipset fans work , or even the fan off of the stock CPU cooler. Screws will quite often fit into the grooves of the HS or you can use zip ties or two sided tape. The one on the back of the board is the one that gave me the biggest temp difference on my M5A99FX pro r2. I held it on with 2 sided tape but have since drilled holes in the door of the case and mounted a 15mmx120mm fan to the door.

I have some old cpu fans but I dont think they are as small as yours. I also have about 6 120mm extra fans. I know at the bottom back side part where the PSU sits there are holes. Maybe I can put a fan there and site on on the back of the board.

Needs to point at the back of the CPU to be effective. Don't you have any old heatsinks like the one that came with you CPU. Those fans do come off.

Now for RGone if I can get some type of video of some sort or thread that could help me on reaching at least 4.5GHz that would be great. I don't think games run or need 4.5GHz to run at this point but ill try to reach it if I can.

You can check youtube. That should have a lot of crap to look at.

Did you forget from your post last year that THIS is what we need to make anymore than just cursory suggestions?

Xeriian, this is what we want to see and using HWMonitor from CPUID com...
...plus CpUz from CPUID com. Both are in FREE versions not trial or demo versions.

Mandrake4565, after you mentioned that we had aleady gone over most of this stuff in two previous threads, I just clicked on "xeriian" avatar name and went and REread most of his previous threads. It looks like more than one time "xeriian" said he was going to get the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 but I see he did not. So he is only a little bit better than when he first wrote in the forums with an Asrock 970 EXT3 board. If I remember it was dieing out at about 4.2Ghz or less. So he has bought 'another' cheaper board that is not likely to do much more than 4.5Ghz rock solid stable with P95 Blend for 2 hours.

Neither WE nor HE is getting anywhere fast at this rate. If you cannot spend for a very good board then the user has to do with LESS in an overclock. There is NO magic to this stuff. Get big and go big or stay at home. It is the nature of the h0t and electricity consuming beast of an FX 8 core processor.

Since we were not given the 4 screen captures as I lnked above that were shown in last years post, it is likely that all we can say is to get more VRM cooling. Just some more round and round of the previous mountain it seems.

4.42GHz is not likely an overclock using just the multplier. More likely 'xeriian' is also using the HT Ref Freq also. Perhaps the ram is overclocked too far but we cannot know since we do not have the required 4 screen captures done under the load of P95 Blend mode as outlined previously.

To overclock you raise the cpu frequency. You ADD Cpu Voltage to allow the cpu to run stable at the overclocked speed. THEN you CooL the cpu and VRMs enough for them to withstand the increased Cpu Speed and Extra Power consumed. The is no science to that at all. Just some trial and error.

And if a user gets a sucky cpu then it is entirely possible that 4.42Ghz is all that particular cpu will do on motherboards not fully up to the job of providing good, solid and clear power to the cpu. That we miles away from 'xeriian's' computer cannot say. We might suggest more or be able to get a better understanding with the information liked above but even that is no real guarantee. Some cpus are just not as good as others.

Good luck all.
RGone...

Some cpus are just not as good as others.

Good luck all.
RGone...

That says more than a million words right there, if it where a picture.

But help requires a million screen shots and some pictures of bios settings and then work with a fella.

Without screen shots and progress, there's no way to help.

4.5ghz on M5A99? Why not? Well see quoted message above.... Probably why I haven't hit 8ghz on LN2.

Sorry just got off work an hour ago.

RGone the reason for this board is because it came with my ram also and it was a lot better then what I had. To top it off I got the board and Ram for 100.00 Even from a friend of mine and they are in very great shape. The sabertooth I would love to have but its just kinda pricey right now. Maybe I can see how much they are at Tigerdirect since everything is on sale due to them closing and I have a store in town.

Johan I do have cpu fans that I pulled out today before I went to work, I will see if I can get it going on the back.

Shrimpbrime what kind of pictures do I need to provide so we can try to get me to 4.5GHz

The fans are actually too big for my back of CPU part. What I'm thinking of doing is putting my two 140mm fans on top of radiator along with the two bottom ones, then my three 120mm fans in the front and seeing what that does. Also my air is set for front to pull in out through the back and the top is exaust as well should I change?

Your air flow sounds fine that way but you will need something for the back of the board since that board IS going to get hot.
For screen shots we need to see CPUz main, SPD and memory tabs plus a shot of HWMonitor free while the PC is under load with P95. That way we can see the temps and voltages while the machine is working. This will tell us a lot and help us help you.

OK see that CPU temp at 56 and the package temp at 36. That's the issue. You want them 10c apart from each other or less is even better. The CPU is the socket temperature and once it starts to get hot like that you have to work at cooling it down. The package is essentially the core temperatur and is nice an cool because of the AIO. But the socket( CPU) is the issue when you try to go faster I can see it getting into the "danger" zone and the board reacts by throttling or shutting down. In this case it's locking up. So get those fans in there as suggested and that will help a lot. Also make sure that the ram has the approprite voltage of 1.65 and the timings should be 9-9-9-27-36 according to the SPD tab.

Ok I will try what I can before I go into work in the next hour. I get off at 8pm tonight so I will try to get the fans in those places.

Right now that's your best hope of getting anymore out of this system

Back