• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case has 4 fans, mobo only three connectors, one has no molex.HD or AC 97 Audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blahcomp222

Registered
hi, im finally putting my system together thanks to some help from this forum. I have this case with 4 fans
http://www.rosewill.com/products/23.../Mgnt/Uploads/ImagesForProduct/ImgPrd-2378-Cm[d9f9751a5f19475db15f513bd9770f8d].jpg

but my motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128715
only has 3 "system" case fan ports and then 1 for the cpu, an i7-4790k which I'm not overclocking. I am using the stock heatsink cooler.

Since I'm not OC'ing, I don't need all four fans, probably don't even need three. There's 2 in front bezel, 1 high in the back, and 1 on the top in the back. The one in the back has no molex power jack, only the 4 pin but the other 3 have the 4 pin plus a molex power.

My PSU is on the bottom in the back of the case.

So which one should I omit? I'm thinking the one on top but the one in the back has no molex so I'm not sure about using that. I don't like the LEDs in the front fans but I got the case because of the deal and having USB3 in the front. I have heard people say they opened and broke the bulb on purpose but I think I might just have to get used to blue lights in my eyes. Also, for the time being, I have my monitor on the top of my tower case so I want to omit the top fan.

edit: now I think the molex power is just to turn the LEDs on. The back fan without the molex is the only one without LED or molex.
I don't have the machine running yet, have to take the PSU, optical, and GPU out of the one I'm typing this with and format the new one tomorrow. So in other words, just don't plug any molex in and omit the top fan and I won't have the LEDs on?

For audio, the case has an audio 1/8" jack in the front and the wire from it has a connector to supply either Intel HD audio or AC 97. It says in the manual it supports HD by default. Just plug the HD one in? The motherboard specs don't say anything for the audio about either of these, it says Realtek ALC887 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel.
I have a $100 USB audio interface for recording guitars and synthesizers etc and it supplies HQ audio but I don't always have it plugged in and I'd like to use the front jack when possible but just not sure which jack to use, the HD or AC 97. Manual says improper connection can damage components. I probably won't notice a difference in quality but I don't want to fry anything.

thank you

What PSU do you have?

You should have more than enough molex connectors to hook up your leds and fans.

As for the audio, the case wires are labeled and so is the MoBo. If you cannot read the Mobo, the manual will show you the pin layout. MANUAL

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
550w basiq antec 80 plus PSU. If such an adapter exists, I don't have one to connect the case fan's mini 3 pin connector to the PSU's molex, and I don't think I even need the 4th fan.

One other question I forgot, The case has no speaker that I know of. The mobo included a mini speaker in the parts pack that basically dangles from the mobo. Should I install that for post beep, or only worry about it if god forbid I ever have to deal with reading post beep codes to troubleshooting?

aite, they have them ^ on ebay also from china for 79 cents shipped. But for now, I will just run 3 fans and omit the top one, especially since my monitor sits on my tower case. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6inch-4Pin-...348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cf5aadce4

the newegg one says it ships from hong kong also so I think they'd be built the same quality.

Just wondering about the HD or AC 97 audio.

okay, you say not to worry about the post speaker always being installed.

Last edited:
I believe the the HD audio is the better choice. Someone else may chime in on that.

See what you like yourself. Play an audio file with it one way and then check the other way.

all I had to do was google ac97 vs hd audio, common question. I'll use HD because Realtek ALC887 which is all it says this mobo has IS HD when I google them together it says. I read HD is better than AC 97 and that AC 97 is for analog. I was just had to make sure because the manual said using the wrong one could damage something.

thread solved thanks.

Back